The Student Room Group

Questions when asking for work exp

Before when I have asked for work exp im faced with that difficult question "are you a client of ours?" And get declined because I'm not. I take my dog to a SA only vet and im trying to get mixed animal work exp. how do I react if they ask this question baring in mind I am desperate for mixed animal experience.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by daniel1005
Before when I have asked for work exp im faced with that difficult question "are you a client of ours?" And get declined because I'm not. I take my dog to a SA only vet and im trying to get mixed animal work exp. how do I react if they ask this question baring in mind I am desperate for mixed animal experience.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Pretty sure they won't expect you to be a farmer :wink:

On the serious side, not sure why/how they can do that. I've never been asked that question. Its probably just a one off question.
Reply 2
I'm not sure where you went, but I'm sure a lot of places wont ask you if you are a client of theirs, especially not a vets or any places that deal with animals.
I've had places reject me because I was "outside their catchment area" despite the fact I was able to travel or stay with family friends. I've not had any place ask if I was their client or not, so I would just keep trying. If you can't find a mixed practise, perhaps look for a dedicated farm or equine practise. I found it difficult to get LA vet work to be honest as a pre-vet student. In the end I did most of my work at a SA vets and did 1 week equine, 1 week farm vet (who just happened to visit a local farm) and still got interviewed everywhere I applied. All I can say is - keep trying!
Reply 4
I've had several equine vets ask me if I was a client of theirs. The only thing to do is to keep on trying and maybe go further afield to look. I had to phone at least 6 equine vets until I got a placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending