The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samaaf
The first zombieland movie was brilliant. Do you know when 2 is out? :O

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I am tentative about this one. If it doesn't have Eisenberg and Emma in it I won't go cinema for it.
Wow, Annie Walker is in Looper. So glad for Piper, she is a great actress.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Was it the cold and detached perspective on the loss of limb and life in a war? Have you watched Saving Private Ryan? It would evoke very similar feelings.

On a personal level, the films I've had prolonged emotional impacts from were probably Million Dollar Baby (the frailty of human life and how quickly/easily it can be snatched away) and American History X (the pointlessness of living a life filled with hate). Holocaust films tend to hit all the right notes too.

I Just watched Saving Private Ryan, great recommendation, absolute masterpiece. Only thing was is that i was baying for Upham's blood. I would've shot the pansy as soon as i knew he was a wet one, all he did was cost people their lives :angry:
Reply 7943
Original post by danny111
Wow, Annie Walker is in Looper. So glad for Piper, she is a great actress.

Haha I swear you pretty much watch every series I have ever watched!? I gave up on Covert Affairs at the start of season 3 though. Piper Perabo is hot.
Finally saw The Hobbit. Put off seeing it partly because everyone was moaning about it, and partly because I didn't want to spend over 3 hours in a cinema over xmas. But I loved it. Thought it dealt with all the problems of the book magnificently, and Gollum was absolutely a jot to behold (Serkis MUST have earned an Oscar by now). My only criticism is I would've liked the giant fight to last a bit longer.

So the question is: why the hell did everyone moan about it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Haha I swear you pretty much watch every series I have ever watched!? I gave up on Covert Affairs at the start of season 3 though. Piper Perabo is hot.

Do you like Eyal? If so you shouldn't have, the season got better and better.

Oh and I know! She is topless in Looper!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7946
Do you like Eyal? If so you shouldn't have, the season got better and better.

Oh and I know! She is topless in Looper!

He's cool, I like Oded Fehr. I always thought her and Auggie would have been a decent couple though.

I watched a show called The Finder a while back (only had one season but it's a decent watch - would recommend), and the main girl in that resembles a dark haired Piper Perabo.
Original post by Deshi
He's cool, I like Oded Fehr. I always thought her and Auggie would have been a decent couple though.

I watched a show called The Finder a while back (only had one season but it's a decent watch - would recommend), and the main girl in that resembles a dark haired Piper Perabo.

Thanks that sounds cool.

And yea, you should watch the third season at some point, really.
Looper: overrated. I generally don't like time travel films anyway because they just don't work. but even after that, i didn like some parts.
Reply 7949
Original post by Svenjamin
Finally saw The Hobbit. Put off seeing it partly because everyone was moaning about it, and partly because I didn't want to spend over 3 hours in a cinema over xmas. But I loved it. Thought it dealt with all the problems of the book magnificently, and Gollum was absolutely a jot to behold (Serkis MUST have earned an Oscar by now). My only criticism is I would've liked the giant fight to last a bit longer.

So the question is: why the hell did everyone moan about it?

I loved it too.
I'll admit it was flawed but I still loved it through them, I guess I was just so enthralled by the Middle Earth world.

I think one reason why many were disgruntled is that they expected it to be in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings series - Maybe the change in tone disappointed them, or maybe the lack of grand, epic battles and change in structure.
Reply 7950
Can't wait to see Quartet. I'm such a Maggie Smith fangirl. :awesome:
Original post by Mo-Amin
I loved it too.
I'll admit it was flawed but I still loved it through them, I guess I was just so enthralled by the Middle Earth world.

I think one reason why many were disgruntled is that they expected it to be in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings series - Maybe the change in tone disappointed them, or maybe the lack of grand, epic battles and change in structure.

Or maybe because he made 3 books into 3 movies and now 1 book into 3 movies?

It's too long.
Anyone seen It's Kind of a Funny Story?
Original post by myusername.
Anyone seen It's Kind of a Funny Story?

Yes!

Brilliant film. Zach Galifianakis (spelling) is supberb in it, I laughed a lot due to him even though it is a serious film really.
Just rewatched Chinatown :coma:
Reply 7955

It's too long.

Technically six books, that came in the form of three volumes.

Yeah it is pretty long, which can be quite a put-off for the average cinema-goer.
Personally I thought the time was well-spent.
I guess as a film it was pretty flawed but I was just so happy to be in Middle-Earth that I didn't care about them at all.

I've just watched Waltz With Bashir and Evil Dead II, both brilliant.
Especially the former, loved how powerful and hard-hitting it was, how well presented and animated it was. Even the music was great, the film is surely a must-watch for anyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mo-Amin
Technically six books, that came in the form of three volumes.

Yeah it is pretty long, which can be quite a put-off for the average cinema-goer.
Personally I thought the time was well-spent.
I guess as a film it was pretty flawed but I was just so happy to be in Middle-Earth that I didn't care about them at all.

I've just watched Waltz With Bashir and Evil Dead II, both brilliant.
Especially the former, loved how powerful and hard-hitting it was, how well presented and animated it was. Even the music was great, the film is surely a must-watch for anyone.

It was still a good movie, but making the audience wait twice for a conclusion is a bit meh.

And I started watching Waltz With Bashir, but didn't like the cartoon thing.
Yes!

Brilliant film. Zach Galifianakis (spelling) is supberb in it, I laughed a lot due to him even though it is a serious film really.

It is a brilliant film :biggrin: I laughed quite a bit in it too!

It's too long.

I really don't understand this criticism. The film is shorter than all the Lord of the Rings films, and far more happens in The Hobbit than Fellowship of the Ring (which also had a far slower start).

It's too premature to judge whether it should or shouldn't be three films (and how many times do people have to say the film s are more than just the hobbit book?) I certainly didn't think they could fit anymore into the film, and it was a very convenient place to end in terms of story arc.

All in all, I don't think there are many things wrong with The Hobbit that weren't wrong with Lord of the Rings. So either people are excusing LotR for things they are criticising The Hobbit for, or they should have realised how it was going to be after the first three films.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7959
Original post by Svenjamin
I really don't understand this criticism. The film is shorter than all the Lord of the Rings films, and far more happens in The Hobbit than Fellowship of the Ring (which also had a far slower start).

It's too premature to judge whether it should or shouldn't be three films (and how many times do people have to say the film s are more than just the hobbit book?) I certainly didn't think they could fit anymore into the film, and it was a very convenient place to end in terms of story arc.

All in all, I don't think there are many things wrong with The Hobbit that weren't wrong with Lord of the Rings. So either people are excusing LotR for things they are criticising The Hobbit for, or they should have realised how it was going to be after the first three films.

Well, a couple of criticisms I would make off the top of my head:

- I thought it felt really centre-less and thus a bit wobbly in terms of narrative. Bilbo wasn't really the star performer like he is in the book - which isn't bad in itself, but the film wasn't tight enough without a narrative anchor and at times seemed to come close to going off course completely.

- I think Jackson did intend to lose a small (ha ha) narrative centre, and wanted to make the story 'bigger' and more encompassing. Basically, I think he went too far and got a bit too ambitious. This was never going to be as big as Lord of the Rings because the scope isn't as large as that of Lord of the Rings.

- The dwarves were really underwritten cardboard characters for the most part, with either a generic comic-relief mode or a 'we miss our home' mode. That may be their main 'place' in the story, but it shouldn't be that obvious or limited in terms of acting. As a result, there was a general lack of human (you know what I mean :rolleyes:) dynamic between characters.

- And partly as a result (or perhaps a cause) of the above, much of the interactions between characters was really generic and formula-based. It wasn't particularly well-written. The Thorin-Bilbo relationship is the obvious one here, and there were also a number of other moments that played out like poorly executed sitcoms.

I'll hopefully be doing a proper review of it soon-ish. :beard:

Also, I did think it was fairly enjoyable - the above may sound a bit harsh because it's all selected criticisms. :colondollar:

Quick Reply