The Student Room Group

Change surname when married?

In Britain today, is it still common for the woman to change her surname to the husbands surname after marriage, or is this practice considered sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Still very common from the people I know who've gotten married the past few years.

Looking at it as sexist is just looking too deep into it. It's not like the male gets a dominant satisfaction from it. But still, it's optional to take a husband's name, keep your name, have a joint name or have a new name altogether.
Reply 2
Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock

No but you can have it changed to anything, tbh when I get married I wouldn't mind taking my wifes name or changing it all together.
Yes but i wouldn't say it is a sexist thing but tradition that has been adopted through out the ages. Some people (like my sister) will get their second name for professional reasons.
Reply 4
I have a few friends who when their wife married them, their wife kept their maiden name.
Reply 5
it's still very common, but it's also pretty common for a woman to keep her name. In my experience it's more common to change it than to not.
I wouldn't mind too much tbh as long as he wasn't like 'muhaha you're mine now' :colone:
Reply 7
still common, I would like my future wife to take my name but no biggy if she doesnt.

I would just really like to call her "mrs. (my name)" . I thinks its optional to change it professionly so at work she could be "miss (her name)" and "mrs (my name)" in social situations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I've never really thought of it as a sexist practice, and the married people I know agree with me. My mum chose to keep her married name even after she got divorced from my dad.

But if the girl I married had a problem with it, I'd be okay with changing my name to hers or going double-barreled.
It's a traditional thing. My mum kept her maiden name when my parents got married, but I'll change my name.
When i get married i only want to change my surname to my husband's because my one sounds so atrocious....
I'd like to take my husbands name when i get married :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by 0range
Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock

No but you can have it changed to anything, tbh when I get married I wouldn't mind taking my wifes name or changing it all together.

Firstly, BE A MAN.

Second, every time I see someone with a double barrel surname I want to shoot them. So unnecessary, and they only do it because they have this misguided idea it makes them "more special" in some way :facepalm2:

Ultimately, I would say I'd be alright with my wife keeping her name, but our kids would have to have my name. Only my name, no double barrel bulll****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by CasualSoul
I wouldn't mind too much tbh as long as he wasn't like 'muhaha you're mine now' :colone:

is it weird that i would find that such a turn on if my future husband said it to me :eek:
Original post by nemogirl
is it weird that i would find that such a turn on if my future husband said it to me :eek:

no just funy :biggrin: :rofl:
Reply 15
I changed my name when I got married.
Reply 16
Original post by CasualSoul
no just funy :biggrin: :rofl:

:o: i'm so weird lol
Yep, as said its looking too deep into it to call it sexist.

We live in a society that just about anything can be seen as sexist if you look hard enough, or racist or whatever.

I see it that if my wife wants to take it, its easier to think of ourselves as a family rather than worry about what the kids are called.
I don't think I would mind whatever my future wife does. After all regardless of her name, we'd still be married.
Original post by nemogirl
:o: i'm so weird lol

aw:biggrin: lol

Quick Reply