The Student Room Group

Sending a new years text to someone you fancy

So there is this guy I really like (and he said he liked me) and we have met up a few times before the end of the uni semester and used to text loads but recently I haven't really spoken to him (last conversation was on Christmas Eve and I was the last one to text-aka he didn't reply).

I know this sounds silly but I was thinking of sending him a "happy new year" text in order to sort of strike up a conversation again but I'm not really sure whether to or not (or when to send it-aka at midnight or just sometime during the day). Alsoo, our texts used to end with 7 x's but seeing as we haven't spoken in a week/since the end of the semester, I don't know where we stand anymore so perhaps sending that many x's is a mistake.

I need advice :frown: thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Send him a text, it's not going to hurt.
Just send

'Happy New Year xx'

You'll be fine!
Reply 3
Original post by SirMasterKey
Just send

'Happy New Year xx'

You'll be fine!

I agree with this. You've got nothing to lose. He will either reply or he won't. If he doesn't reply you will probably be in the same situation as if you hadn't sent a txt at all so there's everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Reply 4
Original post by aliakhan
Hey...i totally understand what ur goin through..i like this guy in college and have spoken to him as he is in my law lessons..but i cant bring myslef to say it to him...i usually cath him looking at me in lesson..and sometimes i usually catch his eye when he looks at me..lol..

Can't bring yourself to say what to him? that you like him? that's probably a bit too direct. Take the indirect approach. Let him know you like him through body language and flirtation.
P.S. don't expect an instant reply. So many texts tonight that some take time to go through. I had one sent at midnight last year and didn't get it until like 3am.
A girl messaged me earlier on saying she liked me. She did it in the lamest way ever. I wouldn't recommend a direct msg. Although it will be the fastest way to find out if he likes you or not
Reply 7
If you are going to text him a new years text i suggest making it personal. This way he wont think its a generic text you sent to everyone in your address book.
Reply 8
Ha.....thats good advice but i dont think i could take it as being flirtatious in islam is not very good...but the guy is a muslim too and so am i....lol... I cant help feeling the way i do but i dont know what i can do...?....

Well what do muslims normally do? is it normally the guy who does the chasing or the woman? what's the advice from your muslim girlfriends?
Reply 9
Text him this:
"Roses are red,
Garrus is gay,
I'm Commander Shepard,
we'll bang ok?"

He will know what to do!
'Happy New Year...Lets start it with a bang......literally' :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by TruetoMyself
'Happy New Year...Lets start it with a bang......literally' :smile:

lols

Would rep, but my I've reached the limit.

I found it rude that people didn't people reply to happy new year texts, FFS, it takes two seconds to send
Original post by tehforum
lols

I found it rude that people didn't people reply to happy new year texts, FFS, it takes two seconds to send

Cheers :smile:
Original post by tehforum
lols

Remember they might be out the country - I got a fair few happy christmas texts but as I was abroad it would have cost me a few pounds to reply to them - I love my friends, but not that much!
Sorry I'm not answering your question, but your use of 'aka' is winding me right up.

AKA = also known as

so your use "when to send it-aka at midnight or just sometime during the day", does not work.

'When to send it - also known as midnight...'

Using 'i.e.' would be better - 'When to send it - i.e. at midnight...' - 'When to send it - in explanation at midnight'
Reply 15
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Remember they might be out the country - I got a fair few happy christmas texts but as I was abroad it would have cost me a few pounds to reply to them - I love my friends, but not that much!

nah, defo not of the country

Just plain rudeness
Reply 16
Keep it short and sweet, treat it as nothing more than a friendly text and it's unlikely he'll take it as anything too serious. Besides, men worry about this stuff too. Anyway, I would just do it, don't think about it for too long afterwards. Initiating contact does not look clingy for guys as far I know. The way I see it initial contact, opens you up for the chase in a guy's mind. It's then up to him whether he wants to push for more contact. The guy would have to have issues to think that it was a sign of you being clingy or whatever.

Original post by TooEasy123
A girl messaged me earlier on saying she liked me. She did it in the lamest way ever. I wouldn't recommend a direct msg. Although it will be the fastest way to find out if he likes you or not

I always think it's a bad idea to tell a guy straight out that you really like him (I mean that you want him to be your boyfriend, not simply that you see potential in him). It's best not to vocalise how you feel until there's reciprocation. It's just awkward because it leaves no mystery for the guy. I know from my past naivety. You have to be a challenge in some way. And it's not something you have to do because flirting with him will tell him that you like him.

I think the rule is, if it won't make anything worse, go ahead and do it. But if it's unlikely to make it any better either, I would hold back. Simply saying "Happy New Year" is enough of an expression of interest. Try and tie a guy by being explicit and he'll want to run as far away as possible. Being a bit coy pays off. Keep it short and sweet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by twoforjoy
Sorry I'm not answering your question, but your use of 'aka' is winding me right up.

AKA = also known as

so your use "when to send it-aka at midnight or just sometime during the day", does not work.

'When to send it - also known as midnight...'

Using 'i.e.' would be better - 'When to send it - i.e. at midnight...' - 'When to send it - in explanation at midnight'

Joke's on you: 'i.e.' doesn't stand for 'in explanation', it stands for 'id est', Latin for 'that is'
Hey...i totally understand what ur goin through..i like this guy in college and have spoken to him as he is in my law lessons..but i cant bring myslef to say it to him...i usually cath him looking at me in lesson..and sometimes i usually catch his eye when he looks at me..lol..

But hey i think maybe u shud spwak to the guy...he may be really busy due to the holidays...so i dont think he will mind if u rext him first...i actually think its kinda cute.that u wanna wish him happy new year...are u going out with the guy?...if not and u want to..maybe u shud ask the guy out ..be direct and dont be afraid of denial... Im guessing the guy likes u soo maybe u shud both go out...?...who knows ...it might work out?....good luck...x

This is not related to this thread, but why do some people always put '...' after each sentence instead of a '.' when writing out a text message or in this case, a forum post? It peeves me off every time someone does that. Am I missing something? What's wrong with the normal full stop? It doesn't look cool.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. :biggrin:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Joke's on you: 'i.e.' doesn't stand for 'in explanation', it stands for 'id est', Latin for 'that is'

Oh oops! cheers for that, learn something new every day.

point still stands though!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending