The Student Room Group

Curriculum for Excellence- A sham?

What are people's thoughts on the new curriculum? I haven't come across a single teacher, pupil or parent who supports it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by frasercee
What are people's thoughts on the new curriculum? I haven't come across a single teacher, pupil or parent who supports it.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not doing it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I don't anybody really does, the teachers in my school aren't keen on the idea. In years to come we will see 3rd/4th years moonwalking and cha-chaing around the school not giving a damm if they can't solve the algebraic equation. One of the teachers said some of its marked internally-what if their opinion of the pupil helps to make that decision on the mark !? Its crazy!. So Glad this is my last year and I don't have to sit nationals- sounds something like out that show glee -Shudders-
According to my Maths teacher, it actually promotes problem solving skills rather than root-learning processes; something I feel the current curriculum lacks. Optimization is the only aspect of the Higher Maths course that actually requires you to think.
Reply 4
Original post by Defensive Gnome
According to my Maths teacher, it actually promotes problem solving skills rather than root-learning processes; something I feel the current curriculum lacks. Optimization is the only aspect of the Higher Maths course that actually requires you to think.

In order to have problem solving, you must have rote learning, though! Higher Maths is a solid qualification, there's no denying that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The head of English at my school calls it the "Curriculm for Flatulence." :biggrin:

I've heard that in some subjects, "role-play" and "drama" are being used much more as a form of assesment. Not too sure how I feel about that. :s-smilie:
Original post by anthonyfl
In order to have problem solving, you must have rote learning, though!

I disagree entirely, and it may be due to you misusing the term "rote learning".

To problem solve, one requires knowledge. Knowledge is your skill-set that allows you to solve the problem. However, by saying that you require rote learning, it suggests that it is the only way in which to acquire knowledge. I'm especially opposed to primarily using rote learning in the sciences and in mathematics, which seems to be the prominent method in maths.

After knowledge has been acquired, problem solving serves as a way of integrating knowledge and forming relationships between it.
The curriculum is linking all learning done in schools from nursery to S6, so in that sense it is great. It also promotes linking subject areas, so using geography in history for example. I don't think I understand the assessments enough to comment on them specifically, but the curriculum looks good on paper and in primary classrooms, it works really well.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Surprised nobody has posted this yet :biggrin:

Original post by ukdragon37
Surprised nobody has posted this yet :biggrin:

I saw these about a year ago, but they're still golden.

With my diploma from the Scottish College of Textiles, I have designed a curriculum that was to be the envy of Europe!!!
Reply 10

I'm soo glad that I don't have to do it! What I heard in my school is that in the modies NABs they can make their own rap up or create some sort of drama or etc and in English a while ago my teacher was talking about some of the questions that crop up in the papers and one was like "What kind of people would read this?" to which the answer was like "Cyclists or Normal People"...
Original post by MC1723
I'm soo glad that I don't have to do it! What I heard in my school is that in the modies NABs they can make their own rap up or create some sort of drama or etc and in English a while ago my teacher was talking about some of the questions that crop up in the papers and one was like "What kind of people would read this?" to which the answer was like "Cyclists or Normal People"...

This. My modern studies teacher was telling us that pupils will be assessed a lot more through roleplay, drama, etc. My English teacher predicts there'll be a lot more Scotland-centric articles cropping up for close reading and textual analysis.
Reply 12
Original post by ladymarshmallow
This. My modern studies teacher was telling us that pupils will be assessed a lot more through roleplay, drama, etc. My English teacher predicts there'll be a lot more Scotland-centric articles cropping up for close reading and textual analysis.

Yeah my English teacher was saying that too; doing stuff such as 'Men Should Weep' by Ena Lamont Stewart and etc
Another thing which is ridiculous is the government saying they want to rid the idea that you need highers to gain entry to university!

Now that is disgraceful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MC1723
Yeah my English teacher was saying that too; doing stuff such as 'Men Should Weep' by Ena Lamont Stewart and etc

I thought it was a requirement that there were Scottish texts?
Reply 15
Original post by HeatherHatter
I thought it was a requirement that there were Scottish texts?

I don't know but I wasn't really listening to him properly, he was talking to a group of people down at the front (and I sit with a group of people at the very back) about the curriculum for excellence and mentioned stuff like 'Men Should Weep' and etc. I remembered him saying that as people in my class happen to be doing 'Men Should Weep' for their Scottish in Drama
Original post by MC1723
I don't know but I wasn't really listening to him properly, he was talking to a group of people down at the front (and I sit with a group of people at the very back) about the curriculum for excellence and mentioned stuff like 'Men Should Weep' and etc. I remembered him saying that as people in my class happen to be doing 'Men Should Weep' for their Scottish in Drama

There is a list of Scottish texts which have been drawn up, and "at least one" must be studied at National 5 and Higher level, according to the SQA's CfE website. According to TESS, there is a "compulsory question" on Scottish texts in the exams.
Original post by nerd434
What exactly is wrong with the curriculum as it is?

It didn't link nursery to primary school for starters, then there was a curriculum which was supposed to stretch to 14, but some schools started Standard Grades in S2 instead of S3 which meant it wasn't working. And it was getting outdated anyway.

There has been recognition about the benefits of collaborative working so it's being included more, basically updating it to fit with new teaching pedagogy.

And of course, it wasn't Scottish enough :tongue:
Original post by nerd434
What exactly is wrong with the curriculum as it is?

Exactly. Standard Grades have never created a problem apart from the repetitive "too large a step to higher" in pace issue (but quite rightly so, it's meant to be a testing qualification).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also dislike this "linking primary to secondary" teaching. Primary and Secondary schools are entirely different and they should be! Namely that in high school you are completing certificate based courses, rather than doing internally assessed work. The target for a pupil to achieve Level E by the end of S2 was bizarre when most credit pupils for Maths and English have gained Level E in Primary 7. This, however, does not require an overhaul of standard grades!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending