The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

I keep getting answers of around 7.66x10^-8, but it doesn't appear to be right...
they probably won't use g as the unit if the answer is that small.
WILL ONE OF THE 39 WHO HAVE SOLVED IT APPEAR NOW
Original post by Snakefingers13
I keep getting answers of around 7.66x10^-8, but it doesn't appear to be right...

I got similar answers using d is around 1nm but as you say doesn't appear to be right
Original post by Ferrarifan 27
I got similar answers using d is around 1nm but as you say doesn't appear to be right

Guys if you knew the diameter, what would be the steps you would do?
Original post by TheRocker
Guys if you knew the diameter, what would be the steps you would do?

Calculate volume using pi(d^2)/4, then multiply by density.
Radius and length in cm, density in g/cm^3.
Reply 1045
can someone please PM me with hints for gold, soo confused :/
Ive tried many different diameters now, anyone got it yet?
Reply 1047
Has anyone found some mass relation, density,anything to use with the volume?
I'm just sat here quietly crying to myself. :smile:
Original post by Snakefingers13
I'm just sat here quietly crying to myself. :smile:

I haven't solved it unfortunately, I dont know how to find the diameter. :s-smilie: But if you know I might be able to solve it.
Reply 1050
the diameter might just be 3.825757576*10^-4
i tried finding the total surface area and then multiplying by the area density of graphene but answer is wrong help pleassssssssse
Original post by TheRocker
I haven't solved it unfortunately, I dont know how to find the diameter. :s-smilie: But if you know I might be able to solve it.

The diametere of a CNT is about 1.2nm, google it. Well thats standard cnt. Using that value does not seem to work.

Now i have not tried using 2.1 as the density
I've tried everything! Including using the area density of graphene with the supposed smallest possible diameter of 0.4 nm. Ugh, nothing seems to work!
Maybe this is simpler than we are making it
I've tried everything! Including using the area density of graphene with the supposed smallest possible diameter of 0.4 nm. Ugh, nothing seems to work!

Whatever we're doing, the answer always ends up in the 10^-8 region...maybe it's much more than that...
Reply 1057
My mind is already in zombie mode, begging for me to go to sleep. But hey, I CAN'T, i have to finish this today ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Original post by Claudius
My mind is already in zombie mode, begging for me to go to sleep. But hey, I CAN'T, i have to finish this today ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll work on it again later. Anyone pm me if they have the answer. I really want to see the solution.
Reply 1059
the smallest possible diameter for a nanotube is 0.4nm

Quick Reply

Latest