The Student Room Group

Local Anesthetic

Is it normal for local anesthesia to leave you with a bitter metallic like taste in your mouth? To the point of it being nauseating? It's been three days, and it's still present.
Reply 1
Is this local anaesthetic in the mouth by the Dentist? 3 days of those side effects is edging on extreme. Your dentist probably put it in wrong.
What was the anesthetic for. Its possible that its the anesthetic. If you've had dental work it could be a result of that. Are you on antibiotics at all? Its a common side effect of those too.
Reply 3
I've been under general anesthetic 3 times and local anesthetic more times than I can count on one hand.

And I don't remember getting a metallic taste... maybe for a little while (an hour or less) with the general anesthetic ones.
Reply 4
You may want to go see your GP about that if it persists.
Original post by Pink Boy
Is this local anaesthetic in the mouth by the Dentist? 3 days of those side effects is edging on extreme. Your dentist probably put it in wrong.

Original post by Kabloomybuzz
What was the anesthetic for. Its possible that its the anesthetic. If you've had dental work it could be a result of that. Are you on antibiotics at all? Its a common side effect of those too.

No dental work.

It was for an operation.

I'm not taking antibiotics either. Is it possible that eye drops may be causing it instead?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Metallic taste is something nurses are supposed to look out for after someone has undergone general anesthetic so if i were you i would maybe call NHS direct or go to your doctor x
Reply 7
Nearly all drugs can cause a metallic taste in your mouth, even eyedrops. If it concerns you, contact NHS direct for advice before seeing a doc.

Quick Reply

Latest