The Student Room Group

What should I have done during mugging?

Scroll to see replies

The fact is, though, until people start standing up to these scum - and I'm not referring to you particularly - they'll just continue to do it.

This is the sort of time that calls for Charles Bronson. :cool:
Reply 61
Original post by Kruz
Haha no it just sounds soo rural, like nothing happens there.

It's actually pretty busy there and only 10 mins away from Liverpool but it can be quite rough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You did the right thing, worth getting a decent security app on there if you can, I use Cerberus, it will take a photo and send me it on getting the lock code wrong twice, on a simcard change, I get emailed and text (to both my parents phones), the new number and the location of the phone as well. I can also text it to get the location or remote wipe it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cleveradam
I presume it happened in London...

Lol everything in Britain happens in London. One takes the good with the bad.
Reply 64
Don't beat yourself up about it OP you did the right thing :smile: It's so easy to sit in the comfort of your own home thinking of all the kung fu moves you could have done but when you're in that situation it's totally different. Yes he might not have had a weapon but better safe than sorry. It's just a phone after all.
You did the right thing to put your safety first, put its always worth saying that you don't have your phone on you first. I can see a mugger getting angry if you flat out refuse him, but saying you don't have a phone on you usually sorts the wheat from the chaff so to speak, (at that point he will either leave or ask you to physically turn out your pockets.) Some lads walked up to me a hundred metres out of my old school once and asked for my phone and left when I told them I didn't have one on me. If after telling him you don't have a phone he either looks like he will react, or probe you further, then by all means hand the phone over. As others have said, the phone is replaceable but you are not. You have my sympathies.
Reply 66
Original post by S.R
Don't beat yourself up about it OP you did the right thing :smile: It's so easy to sit in the comfort of your own home thinking of all the kung fu moves you could have done but when you're in that situation it's totally different. Yes he might not have had a weapon but better safe than sorry. It's just a phone after all.

ahhahaha this made me laugh. I had a funny image of OP acting out his kung-fu moves
Original post by Anonymous
I got my Iphone stolen earlier today. I was in my area and some hooded up guy cuts me off with his bike. He started asking me for weed I said I didn't have any and he kept on hassling me, he then got in my face pissed because I was brushing him off then he said "give me your phone", I then gave my phone and we both left.

I feel like a bit of a punk that I just handed it over and with people telling me what they would of done in that situation, but I didn't know what he could of had on him like a knife so I just handed it over.

If you said "no", then this probably would have happened:
http://www.heavy.com/comedy/2010/03/epic-movie-wimpy-superman/
hehe :P
But in all seriousness, you did the right thing; for all you know, he could have stabbed you or worse...
Reply 68
lol your a punk.

how are you going to get robbed by giving it over lol wow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Anonymous
I got my Iphone stolen earlier today. I was in my area and some hooded up guy cuts me off with his bike. He started asking me for weed I said I didn't have any and he kept on hassling me, he then got in my face pissed because I was brushing him off then he said "give me your phone", I then gave my phone and we both left.

I feel like a bit of a punk that I just handed it over and with people telling me what they would of done in that situation, but I didn't know what he could of had on him like a knife so I just handed it over.
Should have walked off, or walked into the closest house.
Reply 70
Original post by joey11223
Heh funny story back when I had a crappy nokia in secondary school when others started to get better phones I had some guy try to mug me. Approaches me, I can tell what he's going to try, says "oi mate what phone do you have?", I won't pretend I'd have been able to take him so I pull my phone out and he goes "man that's a **** phone..swear if I had something better on me I'd give it ya..forget it man." and walks off, poor nokia, so **** it's not even got mugging value.

But I do something similar with cards. If I'm somewhere at night where I don't know the area I stick my debit card in my inside coat pocket. So at least if someone mugs me for it, they only get cash (and I don't carry much cash).

lol wtf, so apparently he was going to give you a phone out of the kindness of his heart?

these mugs :rofl:
Original post by Jack93o
lol wtf, so apparently he was going to give you a phone out of the kindness of his heart?

these mugs :rofl:

Yeah I guess haha, he actually looked sorry for me. Still those nokias were awesome, battery lasted forever and you could throw them all over the place. :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Some responses are ridiculous. People saying he should have hit them or whatever would probably pi*s their pants in reality. The best, best thing ever to do is hand your stuff over - you can replace stuff, but not ever your life.

nope, I would've kicked his head in
Just like that? You immediately gave him your phone?
Original post by Jack93o
nope, I would've kicked his head in

Oh? And if there was more than one, let's say, three? With knives? What amazing superpower would you deploy to get away?
He might of had a knife on him, but I bet he would not have used it, you should of cracked him one if he was by himself.
Reply 76
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Oh? And if there was more than one, let's say, three? With knives? What amazing superpower would you deploy to get away?

OP mentioned one person and that person didn't even pull out a weapon, he just said, 'give me your phone' - technically did that guy even commit a crime? :s-smilie:
I think you probably made the right call. The thing is, years ago you could get mugged and be reasonably sure that if you resisted you'd get given a slap and sent on your way. Now you've got a good chance of getting a knife stuck in you. It's easy to think about what you could have done but ***** like this are so dangerous and unpredictable that you're miles better off just giving them what they want. I know how ****ty you must feel, if it was me I'd be so angry. You definitely did the right thing though. My friends sister got mugged a few years ago, they pinned her down and took her phone. When they ran off she chased them, but they grabbed a long bit of metal out of someones front garden and beat her up really badly, she broke a load of ribs, a few teeth and had a load of internal bleeding to deal with. I'd much rather give up my phone than have that done to me.
Reply 78
Original post by The Polymath
Could have been in a dark back alley, moron..

Who walks in to a dark alley these days without suspecting trouble? Moron..

Especially if you're just going to give up your belongings really quickly without testing the idiot.
Original post by Jack93o
OP mentioned one person and that person didn't even pull out a weapon, he just said, 'give me your phone' - technically did that guy even commit a crime? :s-smilie:

Yes he did. It's taking property that does not belong to you through the implied threat of intimidation. How old are you? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending