The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Definitely expect Hernandez to start today given his record vs Wigan and how their playing style suits him so much. Think it's not too much to suggest another Kagawa start either even if he has been out a while. Got taken off at 60 vs West Brom so should be relatively fresh. IF all 3 of them start though, then i wouldn't be surprised to see Kagawa on the left with one of Young/Valencia rested as they have played quite alot lately. Rio should be straight back in too with Vidic rested for obvious reasons. Rio suits Wigan more too.

Think it will be a close game too. 2-1 to us.
Original post by Abiraleft
I think Martinez tends to get his sides spot on structurally. He certainly did so at the Emirates earlier this season, and it was only because of individual weaknesses that we were on top - and even then we were lucky to come away with three points, I felt.

Definitely, does talk a lot of sense too, was impressed by his punditary during Euro 2012. Didn't catch Wigan's match at the Emirates this season but I remember when Wigan won there last season, arguably the most impressive team performance last season. Whilst a lot of teams just park the bus in the final stages when leading against a top 4 side, they were passing the ball around confidently until the end.
Reply 62
Original post by Mastermind`
Definitely, does talk a lot of sense too, was impressed by his punditary during Euro 2012. Didn't catch Wigan's match at the Emirates this season but I remember when Wigan won there last season, arguably the most impressive team performance last season. Whilst a lot of teams just park the bus in the final stages when leading against a top 4 side, they were passing the ball around confidently until the end.

Similar story this season, with Martinez understanding that we struggle against teams who employ close-pressing/tight marking and short passing. I would say they kept the ball more intelligently than we did, and if they had more actual quality in the side, they might have been able to do something with it offensively as well.

For you guys, I would imagine someone like Cleverley would be even more important than Kagawa if Martinez is thinking of adopting a similar tactic (and with the lightness in your midfield so far, I would imagine he might be). What's the situation with Fletcher?
Original post by Abiraleft
Similar story this season, with Martinez understanding that we struggle against teams who employ close-pressing/tight marking and short passing. I would say they kept the ball more intelligently than we did, and if they had more actual quality in the side, they might have been able to do something with it offensively as well.

For you guys, I would imagine someone like Cleverley would be even more important than Kagawa if Martinez is thinking of adopting a similar tactic (and with the lightness in your midfield so far, I would imagine he might be). What's the situation with Fletcher?

I think Liverpool missed out by not appointing Martinez, I rate him above Rodgers. The latter seems to get more credit for Swansea's style of play but it was Martinez who came up with the template.

Aye, Cleverley could be equally important today. I think with Kagawa it's more that he is very good in tight spaces, better than Rooney, and with Wigan's not-so-physical approach, Rooney being out and Wigan probably occupying our wingers, it seems the ideal game for him. Fletcher is slowly being eased back after his long time on the sidelines, I think he'll be on the bench today.
De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Young, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs, RVP, Hernandez

Disappointed no Vidic but otherwise looks decent.
Subs: Lindegaard, Valencia, Smalling, Vidic, Kagawa, Scholes, Welbeck
Reply 66
Original post by hayles101
De Gea, Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Young, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs, RVP, Hernandez

Disappointed no Vidic but otherwise looks decent.

Got to manage his fitness these days. Would've liked to have seen Smalling/Evans at CB but it's a good team. Not sure about Giggs on the wing however.
RVP will score three goals, you heard it here first.
Reply 68
Why is kagawa not in our starting XI?
Original post by DH1'
Got to manage his fitness these days. Would've liked to have seen Smalling/Evans at CB but it's a good team. Not sure about Giggs on the wing however.

Agree about Giggs, although he did actually do a decent job against Newcastle which is maybe why SAF has given him the nod. Quite a few were calling for Valencia to be dropped.

On another note, anyone know when Anderson is due back?
I doubt Giggs will last the 90, so we might see Kag. What kind of formation is this, 4-3-3 with Giggs in midfield or a 4-4-2 with Young on the right?

Nice to see Rafael back in the side.
Reply 71
Original post by doggyfizzel
I doubt Giggs will last the 90, so we might see Kag. What kind of formation is this, 4-3-3 with Giggs in midfield or a 4-4-2 with Young on the right?

Nice to see Rafael back in the side.

I think it'll be 4-4-2 with Van Persie dropping back when needed. Wigan will be playing 3-5-2 so i doubt we'll only have 3 in the midfield.
Reply 72
Original post by rickjames
Why is kagawa not in our starting XI?

Fergie likes to play him in the Champions league
Reply 73
Who thinks Cristiano Ronaldo will be back next year?
Just watching FoxSoccer. I think the guy just said.

Man United now 7 point ahead of Man City, but perhaps more importantly with that key goal difference (goes on about goals scored and RVP..)

How on earth is GD more important than points? What a stupid thing to say.
Just emerged form a hungover stupor, had forgotten about New Years fixtures. Hell yes.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Just watching FoxSoccer. I think the guy just said.

How on earth is GD more important than points? What a stupid thing to say.

A suggestion that we could flop the 7 point lead like last season however, at the moment City don't have the superior GD like last season. I don't think he was implying that GD is more important than points, just the fact that the GD is significant when the point gap closes.
Original post by pinda.college
A suggestion that we could flop the 7 point lead like last season however, at the moment City don't have the superior GD like last season. I don't think he was implying that GD is more important than points, just the fact that the GD is significant when the point gap closes.
If the gaps closes the GD will change, so its not really relevant while there is a point gap. Its just a desperate attempt to point towards last season. A +3 goal difference is pretty much irrelevant half way through the season.
Original post by Sam00
Who thinks Cristiano Ronaldo will be back next year?

The speculation really frustrates me because I want him back however, getting around the financial obstacle would be too difficult for us to buy him back. Though rumours about a De Gea/Nani swap are being spread around... I wish the fans weren't the last ones to know when a deal has been done, would be nice to be kept up to date with regards to negotiations from a reliable source.
Reply 79
Well this is a bit **** so far.

Latest