The Student Room Group

Subjects which you were glad to drop

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Art. I hate being told when/what/how to draw. If I wanna draw, I'll do it whenever I damn well please. Thanks. hah.
Reply 41
Citizenship - still to this day, I have no idea what it was about.
Geography - just plain boring.
Reply 42
Physics, Chemistry and Maths. :biggrin:
Original post by myusername.
What is it you dislike about French? I love that subject :smile:
I was lucky though with Welsh, we didn't have to take it, just had to do a two week course or something at the end of Year 11 to say we could speak "basic" Welsh.

Mainly my teacher but it's my weakest subject (my only C prediction) but I just find myself zoning out when I can't understand whats being said.
I envy you 2 hours a weeks with the dullest teacher in the school for Welsh!
Hated Physics. Doing French for sixth form and cannot wait to drop it -.-
At the end of year 9, I was glad to drop music, art and geography. I'm in year 11, and come June I'll be glad to see the back of English!
Original post by SamSnow009
Mainly my teacher but it's my weakest subject (my only C prediction) but I just find myself zoning out when I can't understand whats being said.
I envy you 2 hours a weeks with the dullest teacher in the school for Welsh!

Ah I see, I understand what you mean, sometimes it's the teacher that makes you hate the subject.
I hated Welsh when I had to do it from years 7-9, it was just so dull. I am a bit regretful now though, I should have paid more attention in that class 'cause it would be nice to speak Welsh :smile:
Original post by myusername.
Ah I see, I understand what you mean, sometimes it's the teacher that makes you hate the subject.
I hated Welsh when I had to do it from years 7-9, it was just so dull. I am a bit regretful now though, I should have paid more attention in that class 'cause it would be nice to speak Welsh :smile:

Welsh is actually a really nice language but learning it:confused: It's the nicest language to sing in, in my opinion
Original post by SamSnow009
Welsh is actually a really nice language but learning it:confused: It's the nicest language to sing in, in my opinion

I know, learning it can be a bit difficult! I don't mind Welsh music to be honest, it's quite nice :smile:
French and German. I absolutely hated those subjects. I had really good teachers in year 7 and got on really well, I got really high grades and they reckoned I could get an A at GCSE. Then those teachers left and the ones I got instead were off sick 80% of the time and couldn't be arsed to teach properly when they were actually there. I did badly, and I hate doing badly when I've tried really hard so I just developed a hatred for French and German. Shame really. :/ Still, I was very happy in year 9 when I submitted my options form and never had to do those subjects again.
Reply 50
Physics- i thought i was a genius at GCSE for getting almost 100%, only to get an E at AS level :emo:
Reply 51
Original post by MALL COP
Physics- i thought i was a genius at GCSE for getting almost 100%, only to get an E at AS level :emo:

physics has to be the biggest step up - i got 100% at GCSE then an E in AS level
Original post by bluester
physics has to be the biggest step up - i got 100% at GCSE then an E in AS level

I agree. I didn't do Triple Science at GCSE so when I started physics I was pretty blank. And physics ain't no joke.
so glad to get rid of english, what honest use is any of it in life (besides being able to read/write)

i have never needed to compare poetry, show how the length of stanzas effects the poets mood or the meataphors or whatever other s*** its meant to be!

Lol the irony.
history. i found it so dead
Reply 55
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
Lol the irony.

do you think things such as poetry comparison and much of the english GCSE syllabus etc is actually useful in any part of life?
Reply 56
P.E. - Forever a fatty :lazy:
do you think things such as poetry comparison and much of the english GCSE syllabus etc is actually useful in any part of life?

Your argument can be applied to much of the syllabi for most GCSE subjects. You could just as easily ask whether trigonometry or differentiation are actually "useful" in any part of life. GCSEs are there to give a superficial introduction to a subject and form the basis of further study, not to be directly "useful" in later life.
Reply 58
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
Your argument can be applied to much of the syllabi for most GCSE subjects. You could just as easily ask whether trigonometry or differentiation are actually "useful" in any part of life. GCSEs are there to give a superficial introduction to a subject and form the basis of further study, not to be directly "useful" in later life.

true... i just really hated english and in my opinion i saw it as a very pointless subject
I want to drop French and do it a few years later IF/WHEN I need it, prefer Japanese as I can speak quite a bit to different people, NOT just some words from anime :P.
Anyways I think I did like a few speaking tests and reset which the school paid for, so do you think I should drop it- will the school let me, even if I refuse to sit the exam? Like will I get a E GCSE? I am aim to get everything at b or higher for hopefully medical later, and this and DT are my threats, but I think I can fix DT but need to put ALOT of effort into it.

Quick Reply

Latest