The Student Room Group

Is it me or have River Island's clothes gotten chavvier lately?

I do still like a lot of their stuff, it's just that recently I've noticed more of their clothing have tackier designs, t shirts with slogans such as "Team Essex," countless tshirts and jumpers covered with too much sequins etc. They seem to be sadly declining into Select in terms of clothing style (which I absolutely hate) Anyone else noticed this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most things from river island make me look like a **** regardless so its not really an issue for me. :smile:
I still love their Chelsea Girl range though. Nice, unique clothes. I just bought this dress: http://www.riverisland.com/women/dresses/day-dresses/Navy-Chelsea-Girl-lace-frill-front-dress-630050
Reply 3
I've never really liked many things from there - like you say, there's always too many sequins and things on stuff.
Haven't seen anything nice in river island for a while now!
I hardly buy from that crappy store. It's burtons or Primark usually.
Reply 6
I got a really nice military style coat there yesterday in the sale for £30. I think they go through phases of having a really good selection to having nothing nice at all. I've had a few gems from there though. I'm preferring topshop at the moment.
Reply 7
Original post by LaughingBro
I hardly buy from that crappy store. It's burtons or Primark usually.

Primark is cheap crap. One opened in my town and I went to check it out. The clothes were made of crappy materials and I left and went to topman which was next to it. Best shops to go to are ASOS and topman.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Don't buy much from there - but I've heard quite a few people say this recently.
Reply 9
Or have chavs gone more river island-er?
I don't really care for brand loyalty either way but some of the stuff River Island does has always suited me I feel. I quite like their simple crew-neck jumpers (I'm wearing one now) and I also have a nice warm blazer style jacket from them.
I normally just buy like cute hats and stuff from their now..not keen on their clothes anymore
I'm not keen on their clothes really,more so when I noticed this.I only really get jewelry or winter things from there,like hats.
Most of their bags are quite nice too, even if they are a bit expensive
Reply 14
Original post by chriscao
Primark is cheap crap. One opened in my town and I went to check it out. The clothes were made of crappy materials and I left and went to topman which was next to it. Best shops to go to are ASOS and topman.

lmaoo i used to shop at topman, estilo in pallisades (birmingham). they are both rubbish and now sell overpriced stuff that men with waxed chests and low V neck jumpers wear. (the sell V necked t-shirts). lol

As for primark, its probs onli good for girls, (underwear and few minor stuff i.e socks etc) aged 16 i once braught cheap jeans from there. plain black straight legged, but they looked crap and the colour had gone after a few washes and even my friend spotted it that they were from primark. ( not that i was hiding it, but it shows the rubbish quality) ironically enough, you have to wait 25 mins at the large queue at the tills which i hate.

im 23 and have never stepped into primark ever again after the jeans. i buy my clothes from blue inc , JD sports, and other casual shops on the high street. i dont go for branded items, but items that look nice on me and more important are comfortable for me to wear.
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree that River Island men's clothes are ****, basically espadrilles, chinos and v necked tops in an attempt to make guys look like a bunch of Joey Essex clones
I only like their jeans, bags and some of their shirts.
Reply 17
Original post by chocolate buttons
I only like their jeans, bags and some of their shirts.

This. They had some really nice jeans a couple of years ago that I still have, Then they went with all that skinny fit/carrot top nonsense. Their bags are good too.
Reply 18
I've always found River Island quite chavvy to be honest. Sometimes I'll find a dress or playsuit in there that's really nice, but a lot of the time I don't like anything they have.
Reply 19
Only buy their jeans because the ones I got fit really well but apart from that I tend to shop elsewhere for reasons everyone's stated above.

Quick Reply

Latest