The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Just as I put my palm to my forehead at that Rafael backheel, that happens.
Terrible defending there, and clinical RvP.
Reply 121
Great game
2 clean sheets now :smile:
Great win, especially after last year. And is it just me that was secretly hoping for Swansea to beat Villa 5-0?:ninja:
Reply 124
4-0 away from home. Couldn't have asked for much more from today. Another clean sheet was also most pleasing. Aside from RVP and Hernandez, Evans was excellent once again.
One of our more convincing wins even though there was some very lucky build-up. Thought we might score some sort of team wonder-goal towards the end until Welbeck got dispossessed.
Dare I say today's game was one of our best performances this season? Almost flawless performance. Ferdinand winning pretty much every header, Evans superb - especially when he closed down Kone from the halfway line. Giggs did pretty well too. 2nd clean sheet in a row, 2 goals each for RVP and Hernandez. Perfect start to the new year xD
Reply 127
RvP, Hernandez, Evans + Carrick were great today. Rafael was good too but you can tell his offensive abilities were being limited by Young.

Giggs with a good, if not great, first half. Completely anonymous in second half though imo. Not complaining he stayed on, understood the subs and preferred that.

28 - Robin van Persie has been directly involved in 28 goals in just 25 appearances for Man Utd (19 goals, 9 assists).

Don'tcha wish your striker was R.v.P?
Reply 128
Good result, though wigan were very poor, we were excellent is there a better player in the league than rvp :smile:
It's always nice to win convincingly like that away from home. RVP, Evans, Carick and Hernandez all good, but special mention to Rafael. He's ahead of Jones and Smalling as our best RB by quite some distance, understandable because both of those are primarily CBs but a year ago the difference wasn't that much between them for a multitude of reasons. With our right-winger(s) misfiring it's very important that Rafael plays for the sake of our attacks, certainly offers more attacking-wise than Smalling, and his all-round play as RB is better than Jones. Lost control of the game when Carrick went off, but we were up comfortably by then and it didn't matter too much.
Original post by Tommyjw

Don'tcha wish your striker was R.v.P?

Well you get what you pay for I guess. Anything less than that would make his wages undefendable tbh, although I do wonder how you'll feel about £250k/week when he's 33...:rolleyes:
4-0, happy new year! :biggrin:
Reply 132
Original post by Zürich
Well you get what you pay for I guess. Anything less than that would make his wages undefendable tbh, although I do wonder how you'll feel about £250k/week when he's 33...:rolleyes:

What like Chelsea regretting paying Drogba his wages last season even though handed them the CL at 33, or PSG regretting paying Ibra his 300k at 31 when he is the reason they are at the top of the table. And I don't think you'll be complaining if you brought David Villa at high wages. A fit Van Persie at 33 could still be a massive player for us :rolleyes:
Reply 133

Most passes attempted 2012 (Europe): Andrea Pirlo (Juve) 3688, Michael Carrick 3261, Xavi (Barcelona) 3155, Santi Cazorla 2919

Most passes completed 2012 (Europe): Andrea Pirlo (Juve) 3059, Michael Carrick 2890, Xavi 2872, Sergio Busquets 2445 (Barcelona)

Most goals 2012 (Prem): Robin Van Persie 27, Wayne Rooney 21, Luis Suarez 19, Sergio Aguero 17, Papiss Cisse 16

Most shots 2012 (Prem): Luis Suarez 163, Robin van Persie 154, Gareth Bale 152, Demba Ba 141, Wayne Rooney 131

Highest pass completion 2012 (Europe, not DF): Paul Scholes 92.5%, Leon Britton 92.4%, De Jong (Milan) 92.1%, Xavi (Barca) 91%

Most chances created 2012 (Prem): David Silva 108, Juan Mata 94, Leighton Baines 91, Robin van Persie 88

Most chances created (open play) 2012 (Prem): David Silva 78, Luis Suarez 75, Steven Pienaar 69, Mata/Valencia 66

Highest save % 2012 (Prem): Asmir Begovic 79.5%, David de Gea 79.3%, Petr Cech 76.4%, Ben Foster 75.2%

Highest save % 2012 (Europe): Ali Ahamada (Toulouse) 79.9%, Asmir Begovic 79.5%,David de Gea & Manuel Neuer 79.3%

Most tackles made 2012 (Prem): Pablo Zabaleta & James McClean 86, Patrice Evra 85, Joe Allen 83, Sandro 82

Most points 2012 (Europe): Barcelona 103, Juventus 94, Man United& Real Madrid 93, Man City 86

Most set-piece goals 2012 (Prem): Man United 22, Stoke 19, Man City 18, Everton & Chelsea 17

Most set-piece goals 2012 (Europe): Man United 22, Atletico Madrid 21, Barcelona 20 (five teams on 19)

Most goals poached in six-yard box 2012 (Prem): Man United 30, Chelsea 16, Arsenal 13.

Most goals poached in six-yard box 2012 (Europe): Man United 30, Real Madrid 21, Barcelona 19, Atletico Madrid and Juventus 17

Most goals scored 85th minute or later 2012 (Prem): Man City 13, Arsenal 11, Fulham & Man United 9

Most goals 2012 (Europe): Barcelona 121, Real Madrid 106, Man United 90, Dortmund & Juventus & PSG 80

Highest pass completion 2012 (Europe): Barcelona 86.6%, Bayern Munich 83.7%, Juventus 83.5%, Man United 83.4%, Swansea 83%

Most tackles 2012 (Prem): Man United 629, Sunderland 628, Arsenal 592, QPR 590, Liverpool 588
Original post by Zürich

4 years in the future is a long time considering we *could* be trying for a 24th title by then
Original post by rohitbd
What like Chelsea regretting paying Drogba his wages last season even though handed them the CL at 33, or PSG regretting paying Ibra his 300k at 31 when he is the reason they are at the top of the table. And I don't think you'll be complaining if you brought David Villa at high wages. A fit Van Persie at 33 could still be a massive player for us :rolleyes:

Original post by Whitechapel
4 years in the future is a long time considering we *could* be trying for a 24th title by then

Let him be sour. He'll stop come May.
Shame Nani is injured/off form/finished? I think him and Rafael could be really good together. He's our only RW who likes to come inside, which allows Rafael to go over the top and force the FB to make a choice.
Just looking at page one - who are these jokers posting all this nonsense?

Back to normal programming.....Ohhhh Robin van Persie. What a man. Seriously. What. A. Man. Phenomenal win today. I'm really starting to believe we'll win it this year.
Original post by Eboracum
Just looking at page one - who are these jokers posting all this nonsense?

Back to normal programming.....Ohhhh Robin van Persie. What a man. Seriously. What. A. Man. Phenomenal win today. I'm really starting to believe we'll win it this year.

I guess we're still the most hated club in the 'Kingdom
Original post by doggyfizzel
Shame Nani is injured/off form/finished? I think him and Rafael could be really good together. He's our only RW who likes to come inside, which allows Rafael to go over the top and force the FB to make a choice.

He's in Dubai recovering- Fergie said he'll be back in the team when he's fully fit.

Latest