The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography Unit 4: Life on the Margins - the Food Supply Problem

Since there isn't a thread about this specific pre-release, thought i'd make my own.

OPTION 3: Life on the Margins the Food Supply Problem
Explore the physical and human factors that contribute to some areas being more
vulnerable to food insecurity than others.
Research contrasting locations which are experiencing food insecurity, with
particular reference to drylands.

Post your Case Studies, predicted questions, structures of your report, here and anything else you may think is useful.

I'm struggling to find case studies for drylands but this is what i've come up with so far...

Lake Chad:
Between 1963 and 1998 it shrank by 95%.The changes in the lake have contributed to local lack of water, crop failures, livestock deaths, collapsed fisheries, soil salinity, and increasing poverty throughout the region.
Factors to look into:
-Overgrazing
-Fishing
-What Salinisation has done
-What the lack of water has done to the land
-Villages that used to be thriving lakeside ports with a constant supply of fish are now strandard and miles away from water, and have been swallowed by the advancing Sahara desert.

The Sahel
The Mojave Desert
Somalian Famine
Aral Sea

If anyone has some good contrasting human and physical factors, please post here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by longfedx
Since there isn't a thread about this specific pre-release, thought i'd make my own.

OPTION 3: Life on the Margins the Food Supply Problem
Explore the physical and human factors that contribute to some areas being more
vulnerable to food insecurity than others.
Research contrasting locations which are experiencing food insecurity, with
particular reference to drylands.

Post your Case Studies, predicted questions, structures of your report, here and anything else you may think is useful.

I'm struggling to find case studies for drylands but this is what i've come up with so far...

Lake Chad:
Between 1963 and 1998 it shrank by 95%.The changes in the lake have contributed to local lack of water, crop failures, livestock deaths, collapsed fisheries, soil salinity, and increasing poverty throughout the region.
Factors to look into:
-Overgrazing
-Fishing
-What Salinisation has done
-What the lack of water has done to the land
-Villages that used to be thriving lakeside ports with a constant supply of fish are now strandard and miles away from water, and have been swallowed by the advancing Sahara desert.

The Sahel
The Mojave Desert
Somalian Famine
Aral Sea

If anyone has some good contrasting human and physical factors, please post here.

Not many people are doing this topic I guess?
I'm quite struggling with the research too. So far I have the same locations, but I've included India and Darfur. Do you think the mojave desert is something we could include since it's not really a food insecure area?

Any exam tips?
Reply 3
Hi, I'm doing this topic.

Other case studies I have used are:
The Gobi Desert
Eastern Horn of Africa
Australia

Have you started to practice writing any reports yet? I'm really stuck!
Reply 4
I've done a practice report for another question but not this since we don't know it.
You can write the intro and metho regardless of the question though.
I'm guessing its going to be about food security with reference to drylands explaining how human and physical factors affect it.
I suppose you could write a practice report and easily adapt it to the question in the exam.

Structure I've vaguely planned...

Intro:
Define food insecurity, discuss how difficult it is to maintain a dryland environment and what are the main causes of failing to do so (human and physical factors).

Metho:
Talk about how secondary research was of better use for food security since its a well documented topic.
Reliability of your sources and name them. Any biased opinions and what you did to get the least biased views, etc - this part you can just gas about it tbh.

Main:
Case study 1
Human Factors
Physical Factors
Sub - Conclusion

Case study 2
Human Factors
Physical Factors
Sub - Conclusion

... And so on

Conclusion:
Your views about which human and physical factors contribute most to causing food security and devastating drylands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by monstercable
Not many people are doing this topic I guess?
I'm quite struggling with the research too. So far I have the same locations, but I've included India and Darfur. Do you think the mojave desert is something we could include since it's not really a food insecure area?

Any exam tips?

Physically they're insecure. They rely heavily on imports with barely anything grown there themselves (they even import water). There are also a lot of potential hazards that could break out (fires) that could easily disrupt their infrastructure on transport. Las Vegas is more or less in the Mojave desert and so if the above occurs, millions of people could be instantly good insecure (very vulnerable).
Still need to research it. We have to remember sources and figures since its a report.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by longfedx
I've done a practice report for another question but not this since we don't know it.
You can write the intro and metho regardless of the question though.
I'm guessing its going to be about food security with reference to drylands explaining how human and physical factors affect it.
I suppose you could write a practice report and easily adapt it to the question in the exam.

Structure I've vaguely planned...

Intro:
Define food insecurity, discuss how difficult it is to maintain a dryland environment and what are the main causes of failing to do so (human and physical factors).

Metho:
Talk about how secondary research was of better use for food security since its a well documented topic.
Reliability of your sources and name them. Any biased opinions and what you did to get the least biased views, etc - this part you can just gas about it tbh.

Main:
Case study 1
Human Factors
Physical Factors
Sub - Conclusion

Case study 2
Human Factors
Physical Factors
Sub - Conclusion

... And so on

Conclusion:
Your views about which human and physical factors contribute most to causing food security and devastating drylands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really helpful :smile: thanks
does anyone have any detailed notes on this topic? would be really helpful!
Reply 8
How did everyone do?

I didn't get what I expected, and none of my class did either. I still got an A, but it wasn't what I thought I'd get when I walked out of the exam, and I'm normally not very confident!
Reply 9
Did terribly :frown: Can't believe it.....
I didn't do Life on the Margins but the whole module seems like a total blowout this exam period.
Reply 11
i got a B, was hoping for higher but i'm happy with that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending