The Student Room Group

Resits should not be allowed

It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artificially raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Partially agree to disagree, people have extenuating circumstances or other reasons they did badly, everybody deserves a second chance, I agree with capping resits to an extent though, getting rid of January modules is just retarded though.
Reply 2
Original post by member591354
It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artifically raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.

That's moronic as ****. If you need extra time to learn the stuff you can just miss the first exam do it in what would've been your resit anyway, it doesn't place them at a significant advantage. And it's not necessarily because they're lazy, some people just have bad days, they could be ill or a family member could've passed away a few days before.
I'm taking a resit because of medical reasons. I have a friend resitting history AS that she flunked because of family issues before the test- then there's my other friend trying to write 6 pieces of cw at once to do AS and A2 english at the same time because her dyslexia ruined her AS last year.

Laziness is seldom the true reason behind a bad mark. Often its due to stress, panicking during the exam, or events outside of school. Retaking takes just as much work when you're trying to sit your current exams as well, so its not as if a retake is the easy way out.
Reply 4
It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artificially raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.

This is a very good argument against re-sits. This, coupled with exams that are not a joke will get rid of the grade inflation problem.
Reply 5
Original post by HenryD
That's moronic as ****. If you need extra time to learn the stuff you can just miss the first exam do it in what would've been your resit anyway, it doesn't place them at a significant advantage. And it's not necessarily because they're lazy, some people just have bad days, they could be ill or a family member could've passed away a few days before.

Why would I jeopardise my reputation for some measly months extra? I am committed and work hard for examinations the first time; I do not make excuses for poor performance or laziness. Someone dies, so? It happens all the time. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by HenryD

People in those situations are catered for, as they should be, but people who just want another shot at an exam they did badly shouldn't be allowed to just rewrite their grades.
Reply 7
Original post by warfarin
This is a very good argument against re-sits. This, coupled with exams that are not a joke will get rid of the grade inflation problem.

Agreed, but this isn't grade inflation - it is grade fixing. It is cheating, really.
Reply 8
Original post by HenryD

of course it does! students shouldn't take forever to prepare for their exams. 'bad days' should not be tolerated (except for health reasons). At university , nobody is going to care about you being slow! You'll get a second chance, but at the same time new exams will be coming up, and if you are slow, you're out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I completely disagree. People generally learn more, and develop their understanding/thinking skills as time passes. Saying 'no resits' is saying that people aren't allowed to progress from the stage they happen to be at when an exam takes place.

In addition to this, even assuming that the above didn't apply, with the system slowly changing to one where a single exam determines the result of several years work, to not allow resits would be to put people's entire lives down to how they happen to feel, be health wise etc on one particular day. Yes, sometimes in life we don't have second chances, but generally in life we don't have to recall many years work from memory and convey it all on paper within three hours...

xxx
Reply 10
Original post by Robbie242
Partially agree to disagree, people have extenuating circumstances or other reasons they did badly, everybody deserves a second chance, I agree with capping resits to an extent though, getting rid of January modules is just retarded though.

Why? I hate January modules. I was far more prepared for my May examinations in AS - as evidenced by my increased UMS. The modular structure of A Level is too simple, GCSE was harder to manage with linear examinations.
Reply 11
Why would I jeopardise my reputation for some measly months extra? I am committed and work hard for examinations the first time; I do not make excuses for poor performance or laziness. Someone dies, so? It happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure this is a
troll.jpg
now because I don't think anyone could be quite that stupid.
It doesn't jeopordise your reputation at all, if you take the exam at the first opportunity or wait no-one cares at all so that argument is a piece of ****e. Oooh well aren't you perfect /sarcasm.
Reply 12
Agreed, but this isn't grade inflation - it is grade fixing. It is cheating, really.

isn't grade fixing the act of lowering the grade boundaries by the boards, so that the results are similar from year to year?
Reply 13
Original post by kpwxx
I completely disagree. People generally learn more, and develop their understanding/thinking skills as time passes. Saying 'no resits' is saying that people aren't allowed to progress from the stage they happen to be at when an exam takes place.

In addition to this, even assuming that the above didn't apply, with the system slowly changing to one where a single exam determines the result of several years work, to not allow resits would be to put people's entire lives down to how they happen to feel, be health wise etc on one particular day. Yes, sometimes in life we don't have second chances, but generally in life we don't have to recall many years work from memory and convey it all on paper within three hours...

xxx

You make some good points that require consideration. Thank you for your input. :smile:

Medical issues, family problems etc.

I think that resit should have to be declared, i.e. when you get a better grade with a resit it must be marked as a resit grade, so that employer/unis know this and can ask for the reason.
Reply 15
Why? I hate January modules. I was far more prepared for my May examinations in AS - as evidenced by my increased UMS. The modular structure of A Level is too simple, GCSE was harder to manage with linear examinations.
You hate January modules, probably because you don't revise enough... many people are ready for January modules and its an easy way to reduce summer exam stress especially if you are doing both mathematics subjects...
Reply 16
of course it does! students shouldn't take forever to prepare for their exams. 'bad days' should not be tolerated (except for health reasons). At university , nobody is going to care about you being slow! You'll get a second chance, but at the same time new exams coming up, and if you are slow, you're out.

It clearly doesn't and if it did, as I already said you could just not sit the exams at the first opportunity, it's entirely your choice. Really, they shouldn't be tolerated? So you **** up once, and bam, can't get to your first choice Uni. Seems like a poor system to me. That's Uni, this is sixth form. What's your point?
Reply 17
Original post by HenryD
Pretty sure this is a
troll.jpg
now because I don't think anyone could be quite that stupid.
It doesn't jeopordise your reputation at all, if you take the exam at the first opportunity or wait no-one cares at all so that argument is a piece of ****e. Oooh well aren't you perfect /sarcasm.

I am not a lazy oaf, so would not do this. I have responsibilities and commitments which I will stick to. I didn't say I was perfect in any way. But people who gain higher UMS than me with resits are not better if I beat them the first time. That much is simple. What I said was true; people die all the time. Anti-natalism seems like a sensible position when there is over-population in the world.
Reply 18
Original post by The Polymath
Medical issues, family problems etc.

I think that resit should have to be declared, i.e. when you get a better grade with a resit it must be marked as a resit grade, so that employer/unis know this and can ask for the reason.

No, not declared but ACTIVELY resisted. If somebody does not meet the conditions you mentioned, he shall not be allowed to re-sit.
No, not declared but ACTIVELY resisted. If somebody does not meet the conditions you mentioned, he shall not be allowed to re-sit.

No. What if someone has family issues, illness etc?

I think they should definitely be allowed for the above reasons, but declared so that people who need to know are aware.

Quick Reply

Latest