The Student Room Group

Resits should not be allowed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Robbie242
You hate January modules, probably because you don't revise enough... many people are ready for January modules and its an easy way to reduce summer exam stress especially if you are doing both mathematics subjects...

Oh sorry. I don't revise enough? Sure. Getting an average UMS in the area of average Cambridge applicants is evidence of my laziness and underachievement. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Like stated above people do have extenuating circumstances, and just get unlucky on a test, but yes capping january exams is stupid, im going to have 7 possibly 9 exams in the space of a few weeks..
OH DEAR LORD JESUS :eek:
I think one resit allowed per qualification is appropriate. Of course, there should be allowances on top for extenuating circumstances etc. as well.
Reply 23
Original post by member591354
I am not a lazy oaf, so would not do this. I have responsibilities and commitments which I will stick to. I didn't say I was perfect in any way. But people who gain higher UMS than me with resits are not better if I beat them the first time. That much is simple. What I said was true; people die all the time. Anti-natalism seems like a sensible position when there is over-population in the world.

I must confess that you are one of the more convincing argurments for that position. And that's not necessarily true, if you get 55% first time and I get 50 then resit and get 100% then I'm quite clearly better than you. Yes they do, and people are affected by it all the time. Nothing to do with being lazy, in fact it would be more work.
Why would I jeopardise my reputation for some measly months extra? I am committed and work hard for examinations the first time; I do not make excuses for poor performance or laziness. Someone dies, so? It happens all the time. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're possibly trolling tbh. It's very ignorant to not realise that all people react to things differently, and they shouldn't be blamed for it either.
Reply 25
Oh sorry. I don't revise enough? Sure. Getting an average UMS in the area of average Cambridge applicants is evidence of my laziness and underachievement. :rolleyes:
Ok... so why would you hate reducing the amount of work for summer, or being able to add extra units due to the extra space? surely if your worthy of Cambridge UMS you prefer January exams, since it allows you a chance to show early potential, it seems you are a late learner though, so you prefer may/june modules.
Reply 26
Original post by HenryD
It clearly doesn't and if it did, as I already said you could just not sit the exams at the first opportunity, it's entirely your choice. Really, they shouldn't be tolerated? So you **** up once, and bam, can't get to your first choice Uni. Seems like a poor system to me. That's Uni, this is sixth form. What's your point?

Instead, a person will get in, who is more likely to cope with the university work pace. That's my point.
Reply 27
Original post by warfarin
Instead, a person will get in, who is more likely to cope with the university work pace. That's my point.

Everybody has bad days, just because yours didn't fall on an exam doesn't mean you're going to cope at Uni better than they are.
Resits are a really good idea and the upcoming reforms are ****ing stupid.
Reply 29
Original post by HenryD
I must confess that you are one of the more convincing argurments for that position. And that's not necessarily true, if you get 55% first time and I get 50 then resit and get 100% then I'm quite clearly better than you. Yes they do, and people are affected by it all the time. Nothing to do with being lazy, in fact it would be more work.

I suppose appealing to extremes does make your argument seem more valid. :rolleyes: Nevermind, I concede that extenuating circumstances need to be considered, but resitting and outperforming others does not make you better than them.
Original post by Bulbasaur
I think one resit allowed per qualification is appropriate. Of course, there should be allowances on top for extenuating circumstances etc. as well.

That's a bit arbitrary.
Perhaps, then again if people weren't allowed second chances perhaps some of the greatest theories, laws and inventions in this world may have never been discovered. Laziness is human nature everyone is prone to it at least some point in their life. There are also other reasons for failing first time round, some of which cannot always be easily proved i.e. nerves. Multiple chances is ridiculous but a second chance seems reasonable.
Reply 32
It is simple; you are far inferior to someone who got the same grade as you if they got it the first time round and you had three tries or even one for that matter! Perhaps a penalty should be applied whereby if you resit you get deducted a certain number of marks - it is unfair when resit candidates artificially raise the grade boundaries when they have had longer to learn the content for a module than people who work hard for it the first time! They should not be allowed to resit and face the consequences of their laziness or sit a separate examination. Enough said.

There's no second chance when you're at uni......you can thus generally tell a person has done numerous retakes if he performs badly at uni
Reply 33
I suppose appealing to extremes does make your argument seem more valid. :rolleyes: Nevermind, I concede that extenuating circumstances need to be considered, but resitting and outperforming others does not make you better than them.

Evidently as my example shows, it does. Just because it's extreme doesn't mean it doesn't count.
Reply 34
Ok... so why would you hate reducing the amount of work for summer, or being able to add extra units due to the extra space? surely if your worthy of Cambridge UMS you prefer January exams, since it allows you a chance to show early potential, it seems you are a late learner though, so you prefer may/june modules.

Or perhaps last year I had to adjust to January examinations straight after GCSEs? :rolleyes: I work better by studying the whole year and performing better at the end. I could do all my examinations early but why would I want to put myself under unnecessary stress?
I think people should focus less on what everyone is around them is scoring. The employer or higher educational institute sets the entry requirements - So if they typically don't care about resits, why should you?

I don't believe it's fair to cap the number of resits allowed. People have family/medical issues and in some cases the candidate is either not academically or mentally mature enough for a particular exam. It should be up to them to realise when they are ready to do an exam, or that they're totally incapable of improving their grades. There have been some exams where I just know that I could not improve the grade (so I won't ever resit them) and others where I have resat them and improved drastically.

Besides, what about people who pay for their own exams? Like university, it is their money afterall.
Reply 36
Or perhaps last year I had to adjust to January examinations straight after GCSEs? :rolleyes: I work better by studying the whole year and performing better at the end. I could do all my examinations early but why would I want to put myself under unnecessary stress?

At GCSE we had January examinations... so I'm used to it though I under performed at gcse, so January exams allow me to reduce stress and allow best possible performance on c2,s1,s2,fp1,m1,history unit 2 and econ unit 2, since I've opted to self-teach further maths having c1, history unit 1 and econ unit 1 on top causes unnecessary stress.
Reply 37

If you did it on your second/third attempt, you didn't revise enough. That's why Cambridge want to know about resits, which will be used to your disadvantage when assessing your application.
Reply 38
At GCSE we had January examinations... so I'm used to it though I under performed at gcse, so January exams allow me to reduce stress and allow best possible performance on c2,s1,s2,fp1,m1,history unit 2 and econ unit 2, since I've opted to self-teach further maths having c1, history unit 1 and econ unit 1 on top causes unnecessary stress.

It is evident that individual differences play a part in this so I will not argue any further. Thank you for your contributions though; I will not disregard them. :smile:
Original post by The Polymath
Medical issues, family problems etc.

I think that resit should have to be declared, i.e. when you get a better grade with a resit it must be marked as a resit grade, so that employer/unis know this and can ask for the reason.

Don't you have to declare resits on your UCAS Application anyway ? or is that wrong ?

Quick Reply

Latest