The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drunk Girls - pics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rybee
You're incredibly naive and rather stupid. You're not thinking in terms of the real world, you're in Neverland where everyone's happy and holds hands. Simple question... If a young girl is dressed provocatively and passed out in the street, is she more likely to be the victim of rape than a young lady who is dressed more conservatively and a little bit tipsy, but quite in control of herself?

It's a no brainer. I have no idea why you are trying to argue otherwise.

Could you provide a source for what you said in bold because I have to date seen none.

I would say it has nothing to do with the way they dress, or even if they are drunk and everything to do with the rapists opportunity. According to West Virginia university:

Myth: When a woman dresses provocatively, she’s asking for trouble.
Fact: Rapists look for easy, vulnerable targets. Thinking that women provoke attacks against them by the way they dress transfers blame from the perpetrator to the victim. Research shows that this particular myth helps others feel better because they think that rape couldn’t happen to them.
LINK

So perhaps being intoxicated to the point you pass out is stupid, but claiming rape due to a womans dress is a reasonable point is ridiculous.

Is a woman that is better looking more likely to be raped? There is no correlation between a females attractiveness and rape, so there is no reason to suggest it has anything to do with the way they dress.
Reply 61
I'm leaving this pointless conversation anyway. I need to be up by 9 am so if I'm lucky, I can still get 2 hours of sleep.

Insomnia at its worst.

Could you provide a source for what you said in bold because I have to date seen none.

I would say it has nothing to do with the way they dress, or even if they are drunk and everything to do with the rapists opportunity. According to West Virginia university:

Myth: When a woman dresses provocatively, she’s asking for trouble.
Fact: Rapists look for easy, vulnerable targets. Thinking that women provoke attacks against them by the way they dress transfers blame from the perpetrator to the victim. Research shows that this particular myth helps others feel better because they think that rape couldn’t happen to them.
LINK

So perhaps being intoxicated to the point you pass out is stupid, but claiming rape due to a womans dress is a reasonable point is ridiculous.

Is a woman that is better looking more likely to be raped? There is no correlation between a females attractiveness and rape, so there is no reason to suggest it has anything to do with the way they dress.

So you admit that a drunk, passed out woman is more likely to be raped?

Finally, excellent.
Original post by SuziieB
But would you go to a country that publicly persecutes homosexuals and make an open demonstration of homosexuality? Would you actually do that? I never said it is right but do show some signs of self preservation, please.

To what country? We are talking about this country. The pictures in question were taken in this country. In this country homosexuality and a womans choice of dress sense are perfectly legal and idividuals a free to decide upon such things. Stop deliberately trying to derail the argument.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by anti-duck
It's funny how this thread has gone off topic, but I thought you all might like to know that I am literally banging my head against the wall.

Ok, so here's two different scenarios -

A. You're a rapist looking for your very first target and you see a nice looking woman, on the floor passed out drunk in a very revealing low cut dress.

B. You're a rapist looking for your very first target and you see a nice looking woman, waiting for a taxi and wearing jeans and a winter jacket.

Who are you more likely to rape A or B?

I felt like I had to put this in extremely simple terms, for some reason :confused:

I think the simple terms thing is where I've gone wrong :rolleyes:

The choice of target is obvious. Do I have sympathy for the passed out drunken woman if she got raped?

No. It's self inflicted. /End of story.
Reply 65
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
To what country? We are talking about this country. The pictures in question were taken in this country. In this country homosexuality and a womans choice of dress sense are perfectly legal and idividuals a free to decide upon such things. Stop deliberately trying to derail the argument.

Lol, you brought up that specific example. So, YOU tried to derail the thread in the first place.

In this country, this example which you yourself brought up, holds no weight whatsoever. If you are going to make an example of homophobia, pick a suitable context.

So you admit that a drunk, passed out woman is more likely to be raped?

Finally, excellent.

Not entirely, I reason for rape is seemingly based on opportunity. Being passed out would give a rapist a better opportunity than not being passed out. But equally a female wallking in a park on her own would give a rapist a better opportunity of rape than walking with someone else. I still wouldn't suggest a female shouldn't walk in a park on her own.
Original post by SuziieB
Lol, you brought up that specific example. So, YOU tried to derail the thread in the first place.

The specific example directly addresses what you said. It is using your exact logic to the point in question i.e. women in britain dressing in a certain manner against homosexuals in britian holding hands in public. What you are doing is taking logic and basing it on a completely different scenario and argument altogether. The analogy has to be equal to the argument. Talking about what happens in uganda or an oppressive country and comparing it with what happens in the uk is a false analogy, as the saying goes it's comapring apples to oranges. Taking your logic of womens dress in UK public = victim of crime and keeping the premis the same but applying it to gays in UK public = victim of crime is a positive analogy. I didn't dreail anything I questioned your stance directly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by lisia
I am not British not live in Britain.
--

I was checking out the daily mail and stumbled into this:
Welcome to 2013: Shameful scenes of booze-fuelled New Year's chaos in cities across Britain (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2255587/New-Years-Eve-2012-Shameful-scenes-booze-fuelled-chaos-cities-Britain.html)

And got me to wonder.
- Has this happened to any of you girls/guys?

If a girl is passed out like this, wouldn't she be easily raped?

Shockingly, there aren't rapists just casually walking down every street in Britain. Any that are there are going to have a hard time stealing off with a young woman who can barely move from a major public thoroughfare unnoticed.

Nor do I imagine the vast majority of rapists want to run the risk of being vomited on.

Original post by anti-duck
I can't believe that some people are downplaying this :s-smilie:

There's drunk, and then there's absolutely ****ing paralytic and the latter isn't exactly a rare occurrence in the UK!? So it might be hardly breaking news, but to me that's the sad thing about it.

People have always got drunk and young people have always been poor at knowing where the limitations are.
Reply 69
The specific example directly addresses what you said. It is using your exact logic to the point in question i.e. women in britain dressing in a certain manner against homosexuals in britian holding hands in public. What you are doing is taking logic and basing it on a completely different scenario and argument altogether. The analogy has to be equal to the argument.

Homophobia is illegal in this country. Rape is also illegal in this country.

Of course, this does not mean that neither of the crimes will not occur. It does and will still do. No one said that homosexuals should not hold hands in public. But I am sure that they are all aware that they are at risk of homophobic attacks because surprise, surprise! homophobes STILL exist! Just like rapists! And muggers! And evil people! And sure they all will go to jail when caught, and they should. But that alone will not deter them from committing the crime in the first place. It is up to people with common sense to know what they will protect themselves from as much as they can.

Of course, this does not mean that neither of the crimes will not occur. It does and will still do. No one said that homosexuals should not hold hands in public. But I am sure that they are all aware that they are at risk of homophobic attacks because surprise, surprise! homophobes STILL exist! Just like rapists! And muggers! And evil people! And sure they all will go to jail when caught, and they should. But that alone will not deter them from committing the crime in the first place. It is up to people with common sense to know what they will protect themselves from as much as they can.

The risk of rape is great no matter what. It is probably just as likely that woman could be raped walking their dog in a park, should they use their common sense and not walk the dog in the park? There is no correlation between dress sense and rape, so to claim the way a woman dresses provokes rape is utterly wrong.
Reply 71
And you haven't answered my question, should gay couples be discouraged from holding hands in the street?

Yes. I advise walking down a street in Alabama holding hands with your partner.

Oh, sorry, was I meant to agree with you..?
Reply 72
I don't really know what you're expecting. You know this kind of drunkenness is going on, you know people are turning off their brains on New Year's Eve.
Why start a debate when an incredibly bad newspaper brings up a scandal story? If you get your daily dose of information from the Daily Mail or Mail Online or whatever it's called, you're not doing it right. I don't know much about the newspaper itself, as I'm not an avid reader of these kinds of newspapers, but I know for sure that we have two similar and horrible examples in Denmark: Ekstra Bladet and BT.
It's just not a good way of getting information, and they actually earn their money from people's shallowness.
Reply 73
At first I thought the pictures were kinda hot, but then I thought it was just sad. After their dead 9-5 office job this is the highlight of their lives. Then they will retire with meagre pensions and a ton of health problems.
Reply 74
Original post by lisia
I am not British not live in Britain.
--

If a girl is passed out like this, wouldn't she be easily raped?

The fact you asked this question actually reveals significantly more about your country than ours.
Ah yes, British girls... round-headed alcoholics who dress like slags. God bless 'em, makes
me realise how classy women here in continental Europe are in comparison.

To be honest it just looks like she's about to throw up all over him. Very sexy :erm:
This happens every Saturday night in many towns across the country, I really don't see why it's big news. Who cares that some stupid girl passed out and got taken to hospital? It just proves what a load of crap the Daily Mail is, I wish people would stop reading it. :frown:

As for your point about rape/girls being taken advantage of...

Yes, you're totally right. It's a very silly position to put yourself in, there are lots of ways to reduce the chances of you being raped and I'm afraid wearing very few clothes and passing out on the pavement is not one of them. It's not right that people are willing to take advantage of girls like that but a little bit of common sense really wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately the feminazi squad will probably be along soon to aggressively inform me that advocating common sense is condoning rape. :frown:
Reply 78
Haha, this pic here got edited since last night because you could see her left nipple.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/01/article-2255587-16B5DECA000005DC-431_634x500.jpg
Reply 79
Get off your high horses everyone.
I work as security, and every night do you want to know what I see?

People just as vulnerable and stupid as that.

And guess what? They're black, white, asian, doctors, dustbin men, lawyers, shop keepers. I've pulled grandparents out of clubs in worse states than that.

To be fair, looks like a regular Monday night shift where I work.

So don't you try judging them for a second :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending