The Student Room Group

Oxford 2014, Could I enter? Please help

Hello there,

Basically I'm studying AS level Psychology, Art and Media at Stoke Damerel Community College in Plymouth, along with Extended Project. I'm going to continue to A2 with all of my subjects, and I was wondering that if I get A*AA would I be able to take the Experimental Psychology Course at University of Oxford?- As I wish to become a clinical psychologist.

Would I have a chance against other competitors?

Also how could I fund a Masters & Phd? How could I get a sponsorship?

Thanks for reading! Please contact me with advice & solutions if possible!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by joshhasnoidea
Hello there,

Basically I'm studying AS level Psychology, Art and Media at Stoke Damerel Community College in Plymouth, along with Extended Project. I'm going to continue to A2 with all of my subjects, and I was wondering that if I get A*AA would I be able to take the Experimental Psychology Course at University of Oxford?- As I wish to become a clinical psychologist.

I think you may have taken the wrong subjects for Oxford...

Anything with 'studies' on the end is a soft A level as far as Oxbridge are concerned and they simply won't consider those. Nor does an EPQ help.

So that only leaves you with Psych and Art. Sorry but unless Oxford's info about the A level requirements for applying for this course say something surprising (look it up) I would look elsewhere right now.

Not sure about Sponsorship for a Masters & Phd but that's for the future. For now, search around and choose a few good Universities to apply to which do accept those subjects at A level; it will be on their website: undergrad/subject requirements.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think most applicants would have more academic subjects (and 4 ASs at least). Perhaps you could consider taking up a more academic subject as an AS next year if you are really keen to go to Oxford. Really, you should have looked into their requirements before selecting your AS options though... Is your EPQ related to psychology?
As others have said your A-level choices aren't very academically rigorous.

Clinical psychology PhDs are funded by the NHS, but they are extremely competitive. Look up the DClinPsych degree to see what you need to become a clinical psychologist.
Original post by joshhasnoidea
Hello there,

oxford's competitive, really competitive

realistically, your subjects aren't rigorous enough, academically

you're gonna need to change if you want oxford, or clinical psychology for that matter, i assume getting funding for the latter is even more competitive than the former
Reply 5
As I recall someone from my school last year got an interview from Oxford with art and media. You need to do 4 AS Levels and I think it would definitely be a good idea to have something like biology and/or maths along with the subjects you already take, but really you'll never know until you apply and the most you'll lose is a space on your UCAS form.

Certainly it's competitive to get into Oxford but I think it's a shame more people don't apply as a lot of weight is put on things like admissions tests and interviews during the process so it's as much about how you think as it is what subjects you do. For all any of us know you might be exactly the type of person they would want to accept.
http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ugentryrequirments
If you wish to study Psychology (Experimental Psychology C830) or in combination with Philosophy or Linguistics, we strongly recommend that applicants have studied one or more of the science subjects e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Psychology and Mathematics to A2 Level, Advanced Higher, or Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent examination.
You meet the science criterion, but it sounds like you would also need to be studying Maths.

I would suggest that if Oxford Psychology is something you are serious about, you could try to take up Maths. Obviously more sciences would be to your advantage, but it's probably a bit late to change that, unless you considered doing a third year of A levels.

Extended Projects are also referred to on that page. They can be a good opportunity to extend your knowledge of, and show your enthusiasm for, Psychology. But if it's on an unrelated area (e.g. art/media) they won't pay any attention to it.

Original post by Silvermead
Certainly it's competitive to get into Oxford but I think it's a shame more people don't apply as a lot of weight is put on things like admissions tests and interviews during the process so it's as much about how you think as it is what subjects you do. For all any of us know you might be exactly the type of person they would want to accept.
This is true.
Reply 7
Original post by fluteflute
You meet the science criterion, but it sounds like you would also need to be studying Maths.

Are you sure that is what it means? I read it as 'xyz, and maths are the science a-levels', if you see what i mean. This table would seem to imply that too. I think technically her a-levels meet the requirements, even with media studies.

I agree with the above notions though - the subject choices are not going to help. As far as i can tell you could still put in a valid application though, and who knows after that. Do you have good GCSEs? Is that school under-achieving and likely to gain you special consideration?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Are you sure that is what it means? I read it as 'xyz, and maths are the science a-levels', if you see what i mean. This table would seem to imply that too. I think technically her a-levels meet the requirements, even with media studies.
I think you're right.
I took Media studies and Business studies AS last year. I am still studying Media this year and I got an interview for Oxford last month. Although I'm not expecting to get in, I was still shortlisted and considered despite having done two 'soft' subjects. As long as you have a good personal statement and impress the tutors at interview, you still may have a chance of getting in.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Not doing 4 AS levels will be a disadvantage, just because most people do 4 AS and then 3 A levels.
They'll probably wonder why they should choose you over someone who is studying (eg.) maths, psychology and chemistry, so you would possibly have to defend that at interview.

As for the actual course, you'll probably struggle if you don't take maths to at least AS. My bf is studying EP and a third of the first year is stats/maths pretty much.
Your subject choices are a slight weakness of your application, as long as everything else is really strong you could get an interview. Oxford put a lot of emphasis on gcse results, if you didn't get 80%+ A* that's another weakness so your chances wouldn. What did you get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending