The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

International student who wants to study in UK

Hello,

I'm from Lithuania. I want to study drama in Queen Mary university. I have some questions.

Does international student have priority for accomodation in university or not? I'm not rich, my parents just earn about 500 pounds. Yeah, but that is normal salary in a month in Lithuania... So, if I take students loan, I won't need to pay it?

Oh, and by the way, do I have a chance to go in this university?
Lithuanian - B
History - A
Math - B
IT - A
English - B
Biology - B
Theatre - A

Thank you for your answers.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there!:smile: It's great to know there are still students out there who want to broaden their horizon. If ever you take a student loan, you'll unfortunately have to pay it back after leaving higher education and earning a certain amount of money.:smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Oh, thank you. Is it worth it, to take that loan?
I've read in a thread before that eu students get a loan tocover their fees but not a maintenance loan for accomodation and other things.
Reply 4
You won't be able to get a maintenance loan for living expenses to cover your accommodation costs. EU students are only eligible for the tuition loan.
Reply 5
Yes, I read about that EU students just get tuition loan. But I think I will work there.. well, if I even get in to it. So, in my understanding, everyone (except rich people) takes students loan. If you're living in the UK or you're from outside UK, yes? They don't really have a choice?
Reply 6
Original post by Doti
Yes, I read about that EU students just get tuition loan. But I think I will work there.. well, if I even get in to it. So, in my understanding, everyone (except rich people) takes students loan. If you're living in the UK or you're from outside UK, yes? They don't really have a choice?

Unfortunately, nope... :/
But my parents won't ever let me take such a loan!:smile: They'd rather pay by their own means. However, if it's your only choice left, then you should take that tuition loan.
Reply 7
Original post by Jenfrench
Unfortunately, nope... :/
But my parents won't ever let me take such a loan!:smile: They'd rather pay by their own means. However, if it's your only choice left, then you should take that tuition loan.

So, what are you going to do? Will you go to cheap university or study abroad (outside the UK)? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Doti

Do you intend to study in London (since this is in the QMUL forum)? London is a LOT more expensive than other areas in the UK and working alone is unlikely to provide you with enough income to survive without any parental support or loan.
Reply 9
Original post by ilem
Do you intend to study in London (since this is in the QMUL forum)? London is a LOT more expensive than other areas in the UK and working alone is unlikely to provide you with enough income to survive without any parental support or loan.

No, I have still some universities that I like to study. I know that London is expensive but please, tell me, where is cheaper? I thought about Huddersfield university. Unfortinately, it's not the main topic. QM university is really good, as I heard. I know it's expensive but drama course is expensive. :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by Doti
No, I have still some universities that I like to study. I know that London is expensive but please, tell me, where is cheaper? I thought about Huddersfield university. Unfortinately, it's not the main topic. QM university is really good, as I heard. I know it's expensive but drama course is expensive. :confused:

Well universities located away from large cities and in rural areas tend to be cheaper. Attending uni somewhere in the North would be a lot cheaper than in London or some other expensive city. Personally I don't know about Huddersfield but undergrad Drama shouldn't be more expensive than any other degree and should be priced at 9k/year.
Reply 11
Original post by ilem
Well universities located away from large cities and in rural areas tend to be cheaper. Attending uni somewhere in the North would be a lot cheaper than in London or some other expensive city. Personally I don't know about Huddersfield but undergrad Drama shouldn't be more expensive than any other degree and should be priced at 9k/year.

That's how my dreams are going away. I don't know what to do. UK will give me really nice experience but I will try to find some cheaper universities then. Maybe someone knows this kind of type universities? :smile: Thanks.:wink:
Don't they all...
Reply 13
Original post by Harry Callahan
Don't they all...

Pff, get a life.
Original post by Jenfrench
Pff, get a life.

Just stating a fact.
Reply 15
Original post by Doti
That's how my dreams are going away. I don't know what to do. UK will give me really nice experience but I will try to find some cheaper universities then. Maybe someone knows this kind of type universities? :smile: Thanks.:wink:

You mean in the UK? You won't find any universities with lower tuition fees but you can take out a tuition loan for the fees, which you will start repaying once you earn over 21k/year. As far as living expenses are concerned, all the northern and middle of nowhere (so still mostly northern :tongue:) unis are likely to be significantly cheaper than other unis. Each uni's website should have a section on typical weekly/monthly expenditure which you can use to compare your choices.
Reply 16
Original post by ilem
You mean in the UK? You won't find any universities with lower tuition fees but you can take out a tuition loan for the fees, which you will start repaying once you earn over 21k/year. As far as living expenses are concerned, all the northern and middle of nowhere (so still mostly northern :tongue:) unis are likely to be significantly cheaper than other unis. Each uni's website should have a section on typical weekly/monthly expenditure which you can use to compare your choices.

Yeah, I know that I will need to repay loan when I will earn 21k/year but it' a little bit scary to take that kind of money. I guess it's worth it :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by Doti
Yeah, I know that I will need to repay loan when I will earn 21k/year but it' a little bit scary to take that kind of money. I guess it's worth it :wink:

It is a huge responsibility to take on at such an early age but the loan is designed to be paid off only when you have the means to. So it's not that daunting after all.

Feel free to PM me if you happen to have any questions regarding the application process. I happen to speak your language too :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by ilem
It is a huge responsibility to take on at such an early age but the loan is designed to be paid off only when you have the means to. So it's not that daunting after all.

Feel free to PM me if you happen to have any questions regarding the application process. I happen to speak your language too :tongue:

Yeap, I guess so.

Well then when I will have a question, I will definetely ask you :wink:
Reply 19
Good luck, I hope you'll get what you want :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending