The Student Room Group

Forces component question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krisshP
which dotted line? The one perpendicular to the one parallel to the inclined surface?

I understand now, but still.

Yeah that one :smile: if you draw this line with longer dashes

It should form a right angled triangle between the dotted and dashed line :smile:

With theta between the vertical and dotted.

And (90-theta) call it phi, between the vertical and dashed.
Reply 21
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah that one :smile: if you draw this line with longer dashes

It should form a right angled triangle between the dotted and dashed line :smile:

With theta between the vertical and dotted.

And (90-theta) call it phi, between the vertical and dashed.

I starting to be more confused. But I already get it. Using your hands helps so much. If you twist them a bit it helps a lot and is simple for me! :smile:

thanks
Original post by krisshP
I starting to be more confused. But I already get it. Using your hands helps so much. If you twist them a bit it helps a lot and is simple for me! :smile:

thanks

Ahah okay :colondollar: sorry! It was going to be a triangle where you'd have to find the length of the dotted perpendicular line and then the dashed line.
Reply 23
Ahah okay :colondollar: sorry! It was going to be a triangle where you'd have to find the length of the dotted perpendicular line and then the dashed line.

How do you smart physicts recognise these angles so so fast??
Original post by krisshP
How do you smart physicts recognise these angles so so fast??

If the component you want has the angle in between it and the force you know, then it's NCosTheta where N is magnitude of force you know.

If it's not it'd be NSinTheta
Reply 25
If the component you want has the angle in between it and the force you know, then it's NCosTheta where N is magnitude of force you know.

If it's not it'd be NSinTheta

thanks
Reply 27

I'm not being sarcastic, is that to help with the components question or is it some sort of metaphor about understanding things? Sorry.:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest