The Student Room Group

Shall I take 5 A-Levels?

Hey everyone,
Basically, I have a few questions regarding A-Level choices. I am currently studying 12 GCSEs and am predicted an A* in all of them, in the future I hope to go on to do Computer Science at Cambridge university. I was thinking about doing: Further Maths, Physics, German and then something else. I do not know whether Further Maths 'counts as' 2 A-levels, or it is simply one. Also, is there any point doing Maths as well as Further Maths, or is the Maths qualification included in Further Maths? I assumed that the reason Further Maths was seen as 2 A-Levels was because it included the Maths qualification, but I saw on here someone who had taken both Maths and Further Maths for A-level, so that has made me quite confused. Anyway, I read on the Cambridge website that the average number of A-levels that people have who study Computer Science there is 5, so my question is, how hard is it to do 5?
Thanks,
Tom

Edit - Meh, now I'm confused, I just talked to my Sister, and she said that one cannot take Maths without Further Maths, I thought that Further Maths included everything in the Maths course, and you just did it in a shorter period of time, and then in the second year you did extra maths? Is it more like you put down Maths and Further Maths, and on your timetable it would just say 'Maths' or would there be two different lessons, Maths and Further Maths... My head hurts.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Further maths isn't 2 A levels, and as far as I know you have to be doing standard maths also.

I would personally look at their website and look into how many A levels they take into consideration.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
you can't do further maths without maths. if you do them both it then counts as 2 A Levels
Hi, obviously studying 5 A Levels would be considerably harder than studying 3 or 4, because you will have a heavier workload. However, with your grades and capability, I think you should go for it! :smile:
Original post by tom1011
Hey everyone,
Basically, I have a few questions regarding A-Level choices. I am currently studying 12 GCSEs and am predicted an A* in all of them, in the future I hope to go on to do Computer Science at Cambridge university. I was thinking about doing: Further Maths, Physics, German and then something else. I do not know whether Further Maths 'counts as' 2 A-levels, or it is simply one. Also, is there any point doing Maths as well as Further Maths, or is the Maths qualification included in Further Maths? I assumed that the reason Further Maths was seen as 2 A-Levels was because it included the Maths qualification, but I saw on here someone who had taken both Maths and Further Maths for A-level, so that has made me quite confused. Anyway, I read on the Cambridge website that the average number of A-levels that people have who study Computer Science there is 5, so my question is, how hard is it to do 5?
Thanks,
Tom

You have to take Maths if you want to do Further Maths. Further Maths is an extension upon Maths, not an alternative.
Reply 5
For Comp Sci, maths and further maths is 2 a levels. But I don't know why you would do 5? For computer science I would say maths, f maths and physics are the crucial ones and then another 4th maybe?
Reply 6
I wouldn't take 5 A levels it is a waste and will just stretch you too thin. All Oxbridge has ever asked for is three A levels. They wouldn't set their requirements at that if they were going to just reject everyone with just three anyway. Forget about wowing them with loads of A levels, all it shows is that you are good at exams. Get high UMS in three A levels to show you know your stuff and wow them with your personal statement and interview to show that you are Oxbridge material. For comparison I got into Imperial, UCL, King's and Warwick with just three A levels.
Maths and further maths are two separate A levels. You have to take maths in order to be allowed to take further maths. If you did maths, further maths, physics and German, this would count as four A levels. If you wanted to do a fifth, could you do an A level in IT or something like that being as you want to go into computer science?
Original post by Economi
Further maths isn't 2 A levels, and as far as I know you have to be doing standard maths also.

I would personally look at their website and look into how many A levels they take into consideration.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Original post by myusername.
Hi, obviously studying 5 A Levels would be considerably harder than studying 3 or 4, because you will have a heavier workload. However, with your grades and capability, I think you should go for it! :smile:

That's what I thought, however I don't want to 'spread myself too thin'

Original post by ninuzu
For Comp Sci, maths and further maths is 2 a levels. But I don't know why you would do 5? For computer science I would say maths, f maths and physics are the crucial ones and then another 4th maybe?

I just assumed to stand a chance of getting in, I would need 5. I don't know why, that's just what I thought!

Original post by S.R
I wouldn't take 5 A levels it is a waste and will just stretch you too thin. All Oxbridge has ever asked for is three A levels. They wouldn't set their requirements at that if they were going to just reject everyone with just three anyway. Forget about wowing them with loads of A levels, all it shows is that you are good at exams. Get high UMS in three A levels to show you know your stuff and wow them with your personal statement and interview to show that you are Oxbridge material. For comparison I got into Imperial, UCL, King's and Warwick with just three A levels.

Ah, ok. What made me think that I would need 5 is on their website it says something about the average person doing comp. science has 5 A Levels

Thanks everyone for the very quick responses, I'm thinking about doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German, and then dropping German after AS. Is German a viable subject choice?
Original post by revise*more*now!
Maths and further maths are two separate A levels. You have to take maths in order to be allowed to take further maths. If you did maths, further maths, physics and German, this would count as four A levels. If you wanted to do a fifth, could you do an A level in IT or something like that being as you want to go into computer science?

Unfortunately, everyone in my school is forced to do IT at GCSE (Except it's an OCR National or something), and I have to say it's one of the most frustratingly pointless subjects around, I won't go into much detail, but I don't know anyone who looks favourably upon it. I also do Computing at GCSE, and although it's probably relevant to the Computer Science course, I think that it is seen as a 'Soft Subject' so I am thinking about avoiding it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tom1011

I just assumed to stand a chance of getting in, I would need 5. I don't know why, that's just what I thought!

You definitely don't need 5 A-levels to get in :nah: I know people in my year who have got interviews with three subejects at A2. Unless they do further maths as most I know who further maths start with 5 ASs then do four at A2, since its counted as two A-levels anyway
Reply 11
Original post by tom1011

Ah, ok. What made me think that I would need 5 is on their website it says something about the average person doing comp. science has 5 A Levels

Thanks everyone for the very quick responses, I'm thinking about doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German, and then dropping German after AS. Is German a viable subject choice?
Yes any language subject is very reputable against subjects like psychology, media art etc...
Reply 12
As far as I know, If you want to study Further Maths, you have to study Maths. Further Maths is harder apparently, but it just depends how hard you want to work for your grade. It's just kind of like an extension.
They are two separate A levels and both seem to go well with Computer Science.
Most universities require to take 3.5 A levels from what I've read, so it's 3 A2 and an AS, so you don't need to take 5 to get in, 4 will be just fine. I think it's better to do good in 4, then suck in 5 although with your grades... I think you can go for 5.

Check out this website http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/compsci/
Tells you all about Computer Science and requirements + it has a video :biggrin:. If you scroll down, you'll see that all the colleges require Maths and most of them prefer Further Maths and Physics, So I think that as long as you do Maths and Further Maths, along with Physics or even Chemistry, you're fine and on a good way to become a genius :smile:

Oh and only do things that you actually enjoy, not because someone else is expecting you to do them :smile:.

Btw, Well done on your grades, I wish I had your brain haha :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tom1011

What made me think that I would need 5 is on their website it says something about the average person doing comp. science has 5 A Levels

What they have and what they needed to get in are two completely different things. Oxford and Cambrdige are more interested in quality and depth of study than quantity and breadth. Nearly everyone who takes maths and FM takes four full A levels but there is no need, or benefit, in doing more than that.
Reply 14
Original post by tom1011

They would rather you did amazing in 3A2's and 4AS then above average in 5.
Reply 15
I took further maths and most of the maths a-level is assumed knowledge, so you need to take maths to take further maths.

I took 5 at AS and dropped one for A2. I would recommend this for you. There is not much point in taking all 5 at A2 because unis only need 4 at most, and you want to get the highest grade/UMS you can in those 4. For me a huge problem about taking more A levels (and I actually took the whole of FM in year 13 whereas for the others I did AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13) is that during the exam period you will have loads of exams at the same time. Obviously the exam will be easier for someone with only one exam that week than for someone with 8 that week.

I think you could take 5 if you can handle 12A*s at GCSE. A level is a lot harder obviously but you seem capable! Also, maths and further maths will make physics a ton easier.

I think FM was by far the hardest of my A levels, and took up the most time, but if you are really confident in maths (and I'm guessing you are for CS) then it should be alright.
Original post by Horchata
I took further maths and most of the maths a-level is assumed knowledge, so you need to take maths to take further maths.

I took 5 at AS and dropped one for A2. I would recommend this for you. There is not much point in taking all 5 at A2 because unis only need 4 at most, and you want to get the highest grade/UMS you can in those 4. For me a huge problem about taking more A levels (and I actually took the whole of FM in year 13 whereas for the others I did AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13) is that during the exam period you will have loads of exams at the same time. Obviously the exam will be easier for someone with only one exam that week than for someone with 8 that week.

I think you could take 5 if you can handle 12A*s at GCSE. A level is a lot harder obviously but you seem capable! Also, maths and further maths will make physics a ton easier.

I think FM was by far the hardest of my A levels, and took up the most time, but if you are really confident in maths (and I'm guessing you are for CS) then it should be alright.

Thanks for your reply, how well did you cope with doing 5 AS and then 4A2? Did you find yourself with literally no free time at home? I don't do much in my free time, but I do spend quite a lot of time coding and selling stuff so that requires a decent amount of time.
Reply 17
4 A-levels is the ideal number imo. Do them well and get fantastic marks in each module. You should be aiming for over 90% in everything.

I did 5 AS levels and 4 A levels and got into Cambridge.
If there is a 5th A Level you are really wanting to do, then do it.

If it's for the sake of another one definitely do not!

Mathematics, F.Mathematics, Physics and German is fine for Comp.Sci.

I myself am going to do/do mathematics, f.mathematics, physics, chemistry, French and geography because I can't pick between them!

Note: I'll be doing 5 a levels next year mot supposed 6:smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If there is a 5th A Level you are really wanting to do, then do it.

If it's for the sake of another one definitely do not!

Mathematics, F.Mathematics, Physics and German is fine for Comp.Sci.

I myself am going to do/do mathematics, f.mathematics, physics, chemistry, French and geography because I can't pick between them!

Note: I'll be doing 5 a levels next year mot supposed 6:smile:

Yeah to be honest, I struggled to think of a 4th one! I really can't think of another one, so I reckon I'll just do 4 at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest