The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
Well, a couple of criticisms I would make off the top of my head:

- I thought it felt really centre-less and thus a bit wobbly in terms of narrative. Bilbo wasn't really the star performer like he is in the book - which isn't bad in itself, but the film wasn't tight enough without a narrative anchor and at times seemed to come close to going off course completely.

- I think Jackson did intend to lose a small (ha ha) narrative centre, and wanted to make the story 'bigger' and more encompassing. Basically, I think he went too far and got a bit too ambitious. This was never going to be as big as Lord of the Rings because the scope isn't as large as that of Lord of the Rings.

- The dwarves were really underwritten cardboard characters for the most part, with either a generic comic-relief mode or a 'we miss our home' mode. That may be their main 'place' in the story, but it shouldn't be that obvious or limited in terms of acting. As a result, there was a general lack of human (you know what I mean :rolleyes:) dynamic between characters.

- And partly as a result (or perhaps a cause) of the above, much of the interactions between characters was really generic and formula-based. It wasn't particularly well-written. The Thorin-Bilbo relationship is the obvious one here, and there were also a number of other moments that played out like poorly executed sitcoms.

I'll hopefully be doing a proper review of it soon-ish. :beard:

Also, I did think it was fairly enjoyable - the above may sound a bit harsh because it's all selected criticisms. :colondollar:

I agree the dwarves weren't fleshed out terribly well. Looking at Fellowship, a lot of the characters were generic, but developed a lot in the later films (particularly Merry and Pippin) so I'm hoping that'll be the case again. It is going to be more difficult though, since the characters in LotR all split up for their individual characterisation. Having 13 dwarves together the entire time is going to be much more difficult to show personalities.

I really liked how they made the story bigger. In the book I did always wonder why Gandalf got himself involved in everyone else's business (why get involved in the dwarves at all?), but the film showed the wizards as almost demi-gods guiding the fates. It should have plenty to expand on in future films, and to be honest this was the main part of the plot that made me think three films really could work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Quite glad to say I haven't seen any of those films!

The two worst films that come to mind that I have seen this year are Dark Shadows and Ted.

Agree completely about Ted. I am a massive Family Guy fan, but Ted was such a disappointment. Embarrasingly un-funny.

I don't think I saw many real stinkers in 2012. It was a fantastically good year for films, I'd say
Reply 7962
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Agree completely about Ted. I am a massive Family Guy fan, but Ted was such a disappointment. Embarrasingly un-funny.

I don't think I saw many real stinkers in 2012. It was a fantastically good year for films, I'd say

Ghost Rider 2 :afraid: Never have I ever fallen asleep in a cinema :lol:
Original post by Revent

umm... if you went to see that, I have no sympathy, my friend :wink:
Original post by Revent

Well, at least you've donated to the charity of Nicholas Cage's tax fund!
Reply 7965
Original post by Svenjamin
Well, at least you've donated to the charity of Nicholas Cage's tax fund!

umm... if you went to see that, I have no sympathy, my friend :wink:

Yeah, that actually gets the award for worst film I've seen since I came to the UK :p: However, there are quite a few 'stinkers' this year. Chronicle with it's over the top crazy maniac character (apex predator? :lolwut: ), This Means War with it's ****ty story and acting (Top CIA agents, but such **** ups?), Haywire (typical plot, well done, she found the last guy who plotted against her at the end), Wrath of the Titans (cool action, but that's as far as it goes, preparing to plan war at the end because she sees perceus coming towards her?), American Reunion (same **** again and again, we see Stifler is still an immature ****, that's it?), Dark Shadows (the woman was really obsessing over the guy for 200 years? :laugh: , The Dictator (I have no words for this, I think they just threw a bunch of jokes about Muslims, Jews, Arabs and Americans together and called it a film).

Okay I think I'll stop now :p: Sad thing is, I actually pay to watch all of my movies in the cinema :laugh: But Battlefield was definitely not the worst film I saw!
Has anyone seen Keith Lemon: The Film? Now THAT is what I call a terrible movie :mad:
Original post by Revent
Yeah, that actually gets the award for worst film I've seen since I came to the UK :p: However, there are quite a few 'stinkers' this year. Chronicle with it's over the top crazy maniac character (apex predator? :lolwut: ), This Means War with it's ****ty story and acting (Top CIA agents, but such **** ups?), Haywire (typical plot, well done, she found the last guy who plotted against her at the end), Wrath of the Titans (cool action, but that's as far as it goes, preparing to plan war at the end because she sees perceus coming towards her?), American Reunion (same **** again and again, we see Stifler is still an immature ****, that's it?), Dark Shadows (the woman was really obsessing over the guy for 200 years? :laugh: , The Dictator (I have no words for this, I think they just threw a bunch of jokes about Muslims, Jews, Arabs and Americans together and called it a film).

Okay I think I'll stop now :p: Sad thing is, I actually pay to watch all of my movies in the cinema :laugh: But Battlefield was definitely not the worst film I saw!

haywire was okay, no? i mean seriously, how many hollywood films have predictable outcomes? it wasn't amazing and i wouldn go to the cinema for it but definitely watchable...compare it to some of the other films you mentioned who i wouldn't even watch at all if i was bored.
Reply 7968
Original post by danny111
haywire was okay, no? i mean seriously, how many hollywood films have predictable outcomes? it wasn't amazing and i wouldn go to the cinema for it but definitely watchable...compare it to some of the other films you mentioned who i wouldn't even watch at all if i was bored.

Fair enough :p: I did consider leaving it out of my short list, but thought might as well :lol: Probably because the chick wasn't hot :mmm:
Original post by Revent

I quite liked chronicle. Sure it was silly and over the top melodrama but it had great original use of effects, and the finale showed what a live action version of Akira would look like. It was just a nice little premise demonstrated well. I guess I saw it as more of a tech demo, which is absolutely fine since the film is only about 1hr20.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Revent
Fair enough :p: I did consider leaving it out of my short list, but thought might as well :lol: Probably because the chick wasn't hot :mmm:

I know righ! Sex sells
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Revent

Well, you certainly do seem to have picked 'em, don't you! :wink:

But there have been some superb films this (ok, last) year. One of the best year's for movies that I can remember

Martha, Marcy May, Marlene
Holy Motors
The Dark Knight Rises
Berberian Sound Studio
Amour
Sightseers
Killing them softly
The Angel's Share
Polisse
Nostalgia for the light
Prometheus
Hunger Games
Skyfall
Once upon a time in Anatolia
We need to talk about Kevin
Rust and bone
Seeking a friend for the end of the world
Take this waltz
Savages
Killer Joe
Cosmopolis
Lawless
Anna Karenina
A Royal Affair
The Hunt
End of Watch
Looper
Frankenweenie
Argo
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7972
Well, you certainly do seem to have picked 'em, don't you! :wink:

But there have been some superb films this (ok, last) year. One of the best year's for movies that I can remember

Martha, Marcy May, Marlene
Holy Motors
The Dark Knight Rises
Berberian Sound Studio
Amour
Sightseers
Killing them softly
The Angel's Share
Polisse
Nostalgia for the light
Prometheus
Hunger Games
Skyfall
Once upon a time in Anatolia
We need to talk about Kevin
Rust and bone
Seeking a friend for the end of the world
Take this waltz
Savages
Killer Joe
Cosmopolis
Lawless
Anna Karenina
A Royal Affair
The Hunt
End of Watch
Looper
Frankenweenie
Argo

You, sir, have varied taste. :p: You've included Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, which was probably my favourite film of the year, and then gone and also included Savages, which was possibly my least favourite! :lol:
You, sir, have varied taste. :p: You've included Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, which was probably my favourite film of the year, and then gone and also included Savages, which was possibly my least favourite! :lol:

Admittedly, Savages would only just qualify for my list. I hasten to add, it's not the list of my fave films of the year. More the list of the films I consider to be good/well made/of interest.

Certainly Once Upon a Time... was magnificent and way better than Savages

BTW I love your avatar. That is one of my top five films of all time...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7974
Admittedly, Savages would only just qualify for my list. I hasten to add, it's not the list of my fave films of the year. More the list of the films I consider to be good/well made/of interest.

Hmm, I thought Savages was pretty poorly made and had very few if any redeeming qualities myself. :dontknow: I'd be interested to know what about it you thought was well-made!

Certainly Once Upon a Time... was magnificent and way better than Savages

It was indeed! I've recently acquired Climates off Amazon as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. :yep:

BTW I love your avatar. That is one of my top five films of all time...

Thanks! :biggrin: It really is something, 2001 is. :sogood:

Thanks! :biggrin: It really is something, 2001 is. :sogood:

Assuredly. Did you ever see my earlier post about it..?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1663944&page=210

(go down to post # 4186)
Reply 7976
I fell asleep watching 2001. And when I tried watching it again the same thing happened. True story. This also occurred with Solaris (George Clooney one), sci-fi films like that are really not my thing. They bore me to death.

Edit: Just realised I gave it a 1 on IMDB as well, I REALLY must not have liked it :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7977
Assuredly. Did you ever see my earlier post about it..?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1663944&page=210

(go down to post # 4186)

I did, actually! I remember gaping in awe! :biggrin:

Original post by Deshi
I fell asleep watching 2001. And when I tried watching it again the same thing happened. True story. This also occurred with Solaris (George Clooney one), sci-fi films like that are really not my thing. They bore me to death.

Edit: Just realised I gave it a 1 on IMDB as well, I REALLY must not have liked it :p:

Blade Runner? :holmes:
Reply 7978
I did, actually! I remember gaping in awe! :biggrin:

Blade Runner? :holmes:

I like Blade Runner.
Reply 7979
Original post by Deshi
I like Blade Runner.

Perhaps it was just the pacing that threw you off, then? I think you really have to be in a certain mood to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. :dontknow:

I haven't seen Solaris yet, so I can't comment on that.

Quick Reply

Latest