The Student Room Group

Guys, would you reject an unattractive girl if she tried to talk to you?

I want to know, how would a guy react if a very unattractive girl attempted to talk to him on numerous occasions? Bearing in mind, said guy is nice and quite quiet and in a couple of her classes.

Girl has a slight crush on him, but would definitely just settle for being friends with him if he was willing.

Would you be flattered, would you reciprocate, or would you reject her?
What would you do? Is an unattractive girl completely off limits, even as a friend?

Said girl is quiet and shy herself, doesn't really talk to anyone so it would be obvious she liked him, at least on friendly terms, if she continued trying to talk to him.

If she was eager and seemed enthusiastic when talking to him, is this a total put off?

Honest answers please ... I don't know whether to keep going or give up. I'm guessing most guys wouldn't want anything to do with her....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I make a rule of being friendly to anyone that approaches me. Life is too short to be a ****.
Sweetie, not all guys are shallow bastards who only like someone based solely on looks. You never know, he might really like you, but is too shy to do anything about it! :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
I always (try anyway)to be friendly to people, guys or girls. If you think your not attractive then just see how things go. At worst you have a friend, but said person may well find you good looking even if you don't:colone:
I wouldn't 'reject' anyone, there is no reason to dislike someone on the basis of looks, it's always nice when someone shy makes an effort to talk to you, how they look is irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by py0alb
I make a rule of being friendly to anyone that approaches me. Life is too short to be a ****.

Ok thanks :smile:

Original post by proud nd luvin it
Sweetie, not all guys are shallow bastards who only like someone based on solely on looks. You never know, he might really like you, but is too shy to do anything about it! :h:

I hope you're right. But my looks really are bad compared to other girls, I can only hope my personality can shine through ... lol. I'm really shy but I'm quite bubbly when you get to know me.
If he's quite quiet himself he would probably welcome it.
Original post by Anonymous

I hope you're right. But my looks really are bad compared to other girls, I can only hope my personality can shine through ... lol. I'm really shy but I'm quite bubbly when you get to know me.

Aww I'm sure that's not true! Every girls is self-conscious about how they look, but for all you know, he might think you're really pretty! :smile:
I'm not going to decline a friendship with someone who seemed worthwhile as a friend even if I did find them unattractive. And that's the same for most decent people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mourinho<3
I always (try anyway)to be friendly to people, guys or girls. If you think your not attractive then just see how things go. At worst you have a friend, but said person may well find you good looking even if you don't:colone:

Will he even want to be my friend though? I've always thought guys only wanted to be friends with girls if they were attractive ... because then they'd have more chance of getting with them ...

Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I wouldn't 'reject' anyone, there is no reason to dislike someone on the basis of looks, it's always nice when someone shy makes an effort to talk to you, how they look is irrelevant.

So you wouldn't be weirded out then? Would you appreciate that she was making the effort to talk to you? :smile:

Original post by tengentoppa
If he's quite quiet himself he would probably welcome it.

He is quiet, but not unpopular. He's got a few friends and gets on well with people. Particularly the other girls :grumble:

Thanks guys!
Reply 10
I try to be friendly towards anyone who is friendly to me, regardless of their attractiveness. Most people I know share this attitude. Don't hesitate to talk to him. If he ignores you because he doesn't find you attractive, he's a **** and not worth it.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd vomit in her face.
Would I reject anyone for just trying to talk to me?

No.
Reply 13
I'd think most guys would welcome someone trying to make conversation, regardless of their appearance, as long as the person initiating the interaction is friendly in their approach. I know I would :biggrin: IMO just strike up conversation whenever the opportunity presents itself, and include other people into it if you feel its too odd to talk to him alone.
Always appreciate someone nice making the effort to talk to me. Male or female, attractive or unattractive.

What makes you think you're unattractive anyway? To most other people, you probably look fine. The amount of pretty, good looking girls i've met who have no confidence in their appearance is staggering. Even if they have boyfriends. I think the majority of girls are just as insecure about how they look even the ones you're comparing yourself to!

Will he even want to be my friend though? I've always thought guys only wanted to be friends with girls if they were attractive ... because then they'd have more chance of getting with them ...

Most of my friends are girls and that couldn't be further from the truth :smile: In most cases we've friendzoned each other.
In my experience, some guys do reject a girl who's trying to chat him up, even for friendship. It sucks, but I guess if they do that then it's probably more of a problem with them than with me. Don't worry too much about rejection; if it happens then it does suck at first, but at least you can say you tried and move on. But if you don't try then you'll always wonder "what if?" and might have missed a chance. Good luck :smile:
Will he even want to be my friend though? I've always thought guys only wanted to be friends with girls if they were attractive ... because then they'd have more chance of getting with them

Some guys will want you as a friend. Some won't. You can't lose a chance with the ones that will by not talking to them!
And if you think that they aren't interested then just be friends. They could always get to know you better and start to like you.

So you wouldn't be weirded out then? Would you appreciate that she was making the effort to talk to you? :smile:
I myself like people talking to me first. Breaks the ice. Guys or girls. If I like them even more so!
He is quiet, but not unpopular. He's got a few friends and gets on well with people. Particularly the other girls :grumble:
Well if he is popular with other girls get a move on! Easier to get him now BEFORE other girls cock-block you!
Thanks guys!

My replies in bold :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by sr90
The amount of pretty, good looking girls i've met who have no confidence in their appearance is staggering. Even if they have boyfriends. I think the majority of girls are just as insecure about how they look even the ones you're comparing yourself to!

70% of the time they know they are hot and are just fishing for compliments.
Reply 18
Original post by sr90
Always appreciate someone nice making the effort to talk to me. Male or female, attractive or unattractive.

What makes you think you're unattractive anyway? To most other people, you probably look fine. The amount of pretty, good looking girls i've met who have no confidence in their appearance is staggering. Even if they have boyfriends. I think the majority of girls are just as insecure about how they look even the ones you're comparing yourself to!

Most of my friends are girls and that couldn't be further from the truth :smile: In most cases we've friendzoned each other.

Because I genuinely am. I'm definitely not one of those girls who underestimate themselves. I'm not easy on the eye at all, and at my very best I'm plain.

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate it :smile:
If ANY girl approaches me and speaks then massive respect to her, hell no I wouldn't reject her!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending