The Student Room Group

Best Private Schools in the country? (in your opinion)

Hi! I'm compiling this list of the top 30 private schools in the country for someone (don't ask why :tongue:) and would like some help please! I don't want to look at league tables because they only show the academic part, I mean on the whole, most famous, most sporty, musical ones, i.e public schools. So far I have:

Eton
Westminster
Latymer Upper
St Paul's
St Paul's Girls
Godolphin and Latymer
Winchester
Wycombe Abbey
Downe House
Harrow
Lady Eleonor Holles
Sherborne
Radley
Cheltenham Ladies'

Totally stumped for others! Thanks :smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
immediately i think of places like uppingham, haileybury, eton, cheltenham ladies etc if that helps?
Reply 2
Marlborough
Cardiff Sixth Form College

:zomg:
Reply 4
If you're a guy, then I recommend Whitgift or Eton. Some of my friends have attended both schools and are currently attending Ivy Leagues in the US, or LSE, Cambridge, etc.

I'm not sure about girls, as I'm currently attending a boarding school in another country. Hope this helps xx
Reply 5
If you want to include other countries as well Exeter and Andover in the US are great prep schools with many students attending Ivy League Universities afterwards.
Reply 6
No only English ones - the kind attended by the upper middle/upper classes living in places like London, Home Counties etc
Reply 7
i would say shrewsbury but it has alot to answer for,
mind you, it does offer most any soprt you can thik of and briliant schl trips
Reply 8
What about the one Prince Charles attended began with G can't remember the name.
Reply 9
Gordonstoun
Queen Ethelburga's School - Faculty QE was the 30th most successful school in the country and Queen Ethelbuerga's College was 7th best in the country academically this last academic year.
King's College School, Magdalen College School, City of London School for Girls & their counterpart CLS are all well respected and are certainly in the top 30 on most league tables (which I know you said you didn't want to use, but they can be good for guidelines).

I know you said not to ask why, but I can't help myself. Why do you want to know? :tongue:
Making a list for someone who wants to choose a school like this to go to :tongue:

But is that famous?
Original post by englishrose_18
But is that famous?

Nope, should be. It has one of the best Headmaster's in the country.
And an awesome tradition of allowing goats to be kept on one of the greens.
It's a 'true' school - they don't really care about league rankings, has a very good mission statement, and they're not gonna make you do certain subjects to boost their rankings either.
(edited 11 years ago)
It looks like good fun :smile:
Reply 17
But is that famous?

Its one of the best schools for rugby in the country I know that much
Reply 18
Original post by Garbage131
Its one of the best schools for rugby in the country I know that much

Wouldn't Rugby school be the best for rugby?
It looks like good fun :smile:

I know... because I go there :h:

Quick Reply

Latest