The Student Room Group

A2 biology :) peat bog/peatlands

Hi, could anyone tell me what peatlans are for exactly, what they store, i thought they stored pollen but i read in a test paper that they store pollen - i dont know ?
Reply 1
Peat is partially decomposed organic matter. It is created in wetland environments as this limits contact with oxygen and slows down the decomposition, due to this it is good at preserving 'stuff'.

If your post was more coherent I'd probably be able to help you more.
Reply 2
Original post by Mockery
Peat is partially decomposed organic matter. It is created in wetland environments as this limits contact with oxygen and slows down the decomposition, due to this it is good at preserving 'stuff'.

If your post was more coherent I'd probably be able to help you more.

thanks - how are they created ?
and how do they contribute to the lessening of global warming ? in terms of co2

thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jojo1995
thanks - how are they created ?
and how do they contribute to the lessening of global warming ? in terms of co2

thanks for your help :smile:

Organic matter such as moss in wetland environments will eventually come to the end of it's life cycle, when it does this it will begin decomposing but due to the low amount of oxygen present it inhibits bacteria from respiring and slows down the rate of decomposition of this material. It collects as one mass and becomes known as peat.

Peat bogs effectively work as a carbon storage unit. If you drain peatland of its water the organic matter will all begin to decompose and release CO2 into the atmosphere.
Reply 4
Original post by Mockery
Organic matter such as moss in wetland environments will eventually come to the end of it's life cycle, when it does this it will begin decomposing but due to the low amount of oxygen present it inhibits bacteria from respiring and slows down the rate of decomposition of this material. It collects as one mass and becomes known as peat.

Peat bogs effectively work as a carbon storage unit. If you drain peatland of its water the organic matter will all begin to decompose and release CO2 into the atmosphere.

thanks so much ... this is just what i needed :smile:
Reply 5
thanks so much ... this is just what i needed :smile:

Not a problem, it is always good being able to apply and use the knowledge that I have acquired.
Reply 6
Original post by Mockery
Not a problem, it is always good being able to apply and use the knowledge that I have acquired.

aww, you did a level bio ?
Reply 7
aww, you did a level bio ?

Si señora, and then I took it to Undergraduate level :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mockery
Si señora, and then I took it to Undergraduate level :smile:

Well done with that, its a bit of a surprise though, i would have thought you took UG Spanish :smile:
Reply 9
I did that paper. I had no idea what peat was. I didn't get a very good grade for it either. At least now I know :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by _HabibaH_
I did that paper. I had no idea what peat was. I didn't get a very good grade for it either. At least now I know :colondollar:

lol - i couldnt even guess what it was.. i haven't got good in any of the papers this year so.. - hopefully things will go well next week :tongue:
good luck too fellow dentistry applicant :smile: Thats if you are doing it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mockery

Hi, i have my exam this friday and was wondering, how is peat bog analyses for global warming predictions unreliable? i searched on google but can't seem to get anything. - could i say perhaps that pollen doesn't nesseesarily get carriied towards the peat bog, idk. thanks :smile:
Hi, i have my exam this friday and was wondering, how is peat bog analyses for global warming predictions unreliable? i searched on google but can't seem to get anything. - could i say perhaps that pollen doesn't nesseesarily get carriied towards the peat bog, idk. thanks :smile:

Although they store carbon there is evidence that they release methane which is more potent than CO2 in terms of global warming. So it that sense you need to be able to accurately quantify the carbon uptake vs the methane release which is quite ambiguous. Thats for future predictions.

There are also uncertainties in climate reconstruction pollen analysis from peatlands as there are with all reconstructive sciences. If you think, pollen doesn't just fall to the ground and stay there. Wind and animals can move it which will alter the signal in that sense. You then have to rely on all host of other factors to try and decipher the pollen information. Also think that you may find an abundance of a particular pollen but if that particular plant releases large quantities of pollen then the numbers become less significant.

Does that help?
Reply 13
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
Although they store carbon there is evidence that they release methane which is more potent than CO2 in terms of global warming. So it that sense you need to be able to accurately quantify the carbon uptake vs the methane release which is quite ambiguous. Thats for future predictions.

There are also uncertainties in climate reconstruction pollen analysis from peatlands as there are with all reconstructive sciences. If you think, pollen doesn't just fall to the ground and stay there. Wind and animals can move it which will alter the signal in that sense. You then have to rely on all host of other factors to try and decipher the pollen information. Also think that you may find an abundance of a particular pollen but if that particular plant releases large quantities of pollen then the numbers become less significant.

Does that help?

it really does, thank you so much ... loads of points there, its great :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending