The Student Room Group

Guys, would you reject an unattractive girl if she tried to talk to you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If you hit on him, we might be scared off - but any decent guy (or person) will talk and befriend anyone not based on looks.
Reply 41
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I guess it depends on the situation and why you reject them. For what reason do you reject all those girls for?

Because they are all looking for romance and the initial chat is the introduction they need to ask you out. I once made the mistake of being friendly and talkative to a girl when I was 16 who chatted me up and when she asked me out I had to reject her and she still holds a grudge against me after 5 years, never again will I make that mistake.
Best to remember confidence makes a person much more attractive than looks can. And attractivity is not just about looks :wink: just believe in yourself, as cliche as it sounds, it flippin works.

And to answer your question, no, but if she got too close it would freak me out and I'd probably try avoid her x) honesty is the best policy, and the guy who said about vomiting made me laugh (Y)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sissoko46
Because they are all looking for romance and the initial chat is the introduction they need to ask you out. I once made the mistake of being friendly and talkative to a girl when I was 16 who chatted me up and when she asked me out I had to reject her and she still holds a grudge against me after 5 years, never again will I make that mistake.

Oh OK, I guess that makes sense. There was an instance when I met up with a guy from a dating website, but afterwards he surprisingly cut off contact, so basically an indirect rejection. I didn't understand it and I'd have at least liked to be friends with him, but I guess he wasn't having any of it :frown:
Reply 44
No because i'm not a shallow prick.
Reply 45
Oh OK, I guess that makes sense. There was an instance when I met up with a guy from a dating website, but afterwards he surprisingly cut off contact, so basically an indirect rejection. I didn't understand it and I'd have at least liked to be friends with him, but I guess he wasn't having any of it :frown:

That is one incredibly rude guy that's for sure he could have at least told you how he felt. But that is very different to just ignoring a person completely. I could never do what he did, it is very cowardly and immature in my opinion.
That is one incredibly rude guy that's for sure he could have at least told you how he felt. But that is very different to just ignoring a person completely. I could never do what he did, it is very cowardly and immature in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. It's also very strange because he had seemed very friendly during the date, and also when we we conversing nearly every day for 6 weeks beforehand. He'd even initiated messaging me in the first place! And then boom, he didn't want to talk to me anymore :frown:. It's things like that that make me lose hope in people and grow a low opinion of them :erm:
Reply 47
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Your reply made my day! I have just booked a one way flight to Brazil where I will confess my love to him and then we will live happily ever after.

Sometimes its good to dream.:wink:
I wouldnt , but Im not attractive myself so i appreciate things like this so much more . Especially if its a girl , she may not be particularly attractive but the gesture itself is quite kind and **** like this doesnt happen to me regularly
Can't speak for anyone else, but there are few people I find outright unattractive, doesn't mean I want to date them but very few people I consider genuinely 'ugly'.

I base my friendships on personality, and I find personality (or lack of a good one) more 'ugly' than anything else. I've never shot down someone trying to be friendly in my life and why so?

I welcome new friends, and I imagine most people aren't going to take a polite and nice introduction badly. If they do they probably aren't worth knowing.

Best of luck OP.

Original post by Anonymous
Will he even want to be my friend though? I've always thought guys only wanted to be friends with girls if they were attractive ... because then they'd have more chance of getting with them

Might be true for a lot of guys, but a lot of guys simply have female mates because someone started talking to someone else who happened to be of the opposite sex, and they're cool enough people to stay in contact with.

I was actually out with an all girl group aside from me before Christmas for coffee, and thought to myself that I got to cut back on hanging out with girls lol.
It's noteworthy to point out that I am not pursuing or interested in a relationship with any of those girl mates, they're just good folk to spend time with. Though it's always nice to bump into one of their friends I haven't met who may peak my interest.

Networking, top stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Yeah, I agree. It's also very strange because he had seemed very friendly during the date, and also when we we conversing nearly every day for 6 weeks beforehand. He'd even initiated messaging me in the first place! And then boom, he didn't want to talk to me anymore :frown:. It's things like that that make me lose hope in people and grow a low opinion of them :erm:

Sometimes the friendliest of people are the least genuine. I should imagine this kind of thing happening to you will naturally lead you to analyze what you did that might have put him off when you most likely didn't even do anything wrong. Was it my clothes my hair my face? Could imagine it would have been a frustrating situation for me if I was in your position after having invested so much time getting to know them. Saying that I used to know a guy in my old class who used to do that very thing to girls he met up with even if he said they were attractive to him. I guess its just an ego boost.
Sometimes its good to dream.:wink:

The best people in the world are dreamers :tongue:.
Sometimes the friendliest of people are the least genuine. I should imagine this kind of thing happening to you will naturally lead you to analyze what you did that might have put him off when you most likely didn't even do anything wrong. Was it my clothes my hair my face? Could imagine it would have been a frustrating situation for me if I was in your position after having invested so much time getting to know them. Saying that I used to know a guy in my old class who used to do that very thing to girls he met up with even if he said they were attractive to him. I guess its just an ego boost.

Yeah, I have done that whole self-analysing thing, but I guess I ultimately will never really know why he behaved the way he did. But oh well, his loss if he doesn't want to get to know me :p:. I can't be bothered with time wasters like him.
I think it only the up themselves type of guys who wouldn't want to even befriends with someone due to the way they look...hopeful there aren't too many of these :cool:
I don't think there's many guys in the world that would be so shallow as to avoid even talking to someone because they were unattractive. In fact most guys I know would be pleasantly surprised that a girl approached them first - normally it's guys that have to do all the running! Just be careful that you don't come on too strong/make it really obvious that you fancy him until you've talked enough to tell whether he might be receptive to the idea.

Every girl that meets you wants a relationship with you? :eek:

You're quite the stud :wink:
Reply 56
Original post by Ice Constricter
Every girl that meets you wants a relationship with you? :eek:

You're quite the stud :wink:

No I meant only the girls that approach you for no apparent good reason. I find those generally do, you could easily tell anyway by their body language what their ulterior motives are as I am sure you understand.
No I meant only the girls that approach you for no apparent good reason. I find those generally do, you could easily tell anyway by their body language what their ulterior motives are as I am sure you understand.

Yeah I was joking too. But I understand not wanting to continually reject girls you're not interested in can get annoying. Anyway, if a girl still holds a grudge against you five years after then she's an idiot. She needs to learn that a guy being friendly doesn't equal romantic interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending