The Student Room Group

I'm a good weight but my belly's fat!!

:frown: I'm 15, about 5'6 and female.
Okay, so i have ALWAYS hated being fat, especially the enormous bulge around my belly, so i decided to go on a diet. This was about 6 months ago, now i have lost a lot of weight and i am now about 106lbs or 7 stone 7/8. I am happy at this weight as i feel comfortable except for my belly because i still have a bulge!
I don't know what to do, should i give up the diet and just stick to my weight now or try harder?

Also, because of my diet i have lost most of my boobs. I was a C cup now im an A.
I want to stay the way i look now but with boobs, if i were to give up on the diet how many calories should i eat to keep my current figure, get my boobs back, and help me grow a bit.

Another thing i havent had my period in about 3 months because of my diet, when will it come back? PLEASE HELP ME! What should i do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amberox
Okay, so i have ALWAYS hated being fat, especially the enormous bulge around my belly, so i decided to go on a diet. This was about 6 months ago, now i have lost a lot of weight and i am now about 106lbs or 7 stone 7/8. I am happy at this weight as i feel comfortable except for my belly because i still have a bulge!
I don't know what to do, should i give up the diet and just stick to my weight now or try harder?

Also, because of my diet i have lost most of my boobs. I was a C cup now im an A.
I want to stay the way i look now but with boobs, if i were to give up on the diet how many calories should i eat to keep my current figure, get my boobs back, and help me grow a bit.

Another thing i havent had my period in about 3 months because of my diet, when will it come back? PLEASE HELP ME! What should i do :frown:

Hi there. With that height and weight, you are classed as underweight by the BMI calculator. I know this isn't an entirely accurate measurement, but from what you've said it sounds a little concerning.

What is your current diet? How many calories do you have per day? What exercise do you do? I'm no expert but if you give these details other people will be able to help you out here more :smile:
Reply 2
Under 8 stone seems pretty light for someone of 5'6". Try eating more and doing abs exercises for the stomach. If your periods have stopped, that's really not healthy
What kind of diet have you been doing?

Below is a calorie calculator which will tell you how much calories you need to maintain and how much you need to lose/gain fat.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

3 months without having a period is pretty serious and could be because you've lose quite a lot of weight so you may want to put some weight/muscle mass (probably not fat mass) back on through changing your diet and working out. However, I'm not an expert and you may want to see a doctor.
Reply 4
Thank you for both your help.
@lattywatty - I have about 750/900 calories a day and lose about 150-250 calories from running about 3 times a week.
Original post by amberox
@lattywatty - I have about 750/900 calories a day and lose about 150-250 calories from running about 3 times a week.

Your calorie intake seems too low especially with the extra loss of calories due to running. Use the calorie calculator and figure out what your actually maintenance calorie intake is and then stick to it or if you want to gain a little, increase it by 100+
Original post by amberox

You're what we like to call "Skinny Fat". This is just an inference, but I suppose on your diet, you dropped your calories too much, and as a result suffered muscle loss, as well as fat loss - giving you the bulgy stomach look.

Start eating normally again until these health problems you're suffering from cease.
Whilst you're doing this, you might want to research how to lose BODY FAT - not weight, so to achieve your goal. (Regain your chest size and get rid of stomach)

As a general point, you shouldn't drop from your TDEE by more than 20% daily. Not healthy.
Sit ups are a waste of time, as is excessive cardio. Eat clean, do some walking.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello,

You're far too light, and aren't eating enough. The fact that your periods have stopped should cause alarm bells to this effect.

You should slowly increase your calories until you're eating several hundred more than you are at the moment, because sub 1,000 isn't healthy for anybody.

There is a lot of information on the fitness forum about how to eat a healthy diet and have a healthy regime; there's no need to starve yourself to extreme weights to achieve your goals.

I'm fairly sure your belly won't be "fat" at the weight you're at. Females often carry a little fat around the tummy, but it's completely normal, and you'll see that most people have it.

Hope that helps a little.
Reply 8
Never eat below 1200! Eat more, now.
It's quite concerning that you've dropped your calorie intake to such a low amount.
For your height, you are under weight.
Also, your periods having stopped is something to be concerned about. If you are losing weight healthily your periods should still continue.

I would suggest visiting your GP, even if it's just for a chat.

Seeing as your breasts have dropped from a C cup to an A, your periods have stopped, you eat way under the recommended calorie intake and yet you still think you have a belly to lose, is worrying.

Please look after yourself and speak to your doc!! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Agree with all the other posts. You've lost too much weight and you're not eating anywhere near enough food (no periods are a signal of that)... you should read this http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/health-support/amenorrhoea-lose-period

Just want to add that you cannot spot reduce fat... and also putting on more weight will not mean it will go straight to your boobs. You cannot control that. Many girls drop a cup size when losing weight, though some don't.
Reply 11
Thank you so so much for everyone who has responded and helped!

But this is what i mean when i say my belly is fat this is me.. take a look at these photos and you will understand, any suggestions on what i can do or what i am doing wrong?

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/user/amberox4/library/
Reply 12
Original post by amberox

Extremely low calorie intake.
Original post by amberox
Thank you so so much for everyone who has responded and helped!

But this is what i mean when i say my belly is fat this is me.. take a look at these photos and you will understand, any suggestions on what i can do or what i am doing wrong?

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/user/amberox4/library/

Your stomach is fine and you shouldn't worry to much about it.

However if you want to improve on your stomach I will do what I said earlier. Lift heavy and gain weight that is what is going to help to improve your body and I know it works as I'm a living proof that it does.
Cut down on highly sugary foods and salty foods

Edit: However sometimes it's a genetic thing that can't be helped much
(edited 11 years ago)
If you have the time to read this then give it ago it can and will help you (its a small amount of information as i like to give this type of stuff to people up close and personal)

Looking at them pictures i dont think you should have anything to worrie about. If however you wish to tone it up abit i suggest firstly that food isnt your enemy keep eating like the others said but cut down on the bad stuff like the sweets cakes chocolate fizzy drinks etc. make sure you get all your vitamins and minerals from vegetables meats fish fruits etc. Although i said fruits i suggest limiting the amount of fruit you have by 2-3 aday if you do since they contain fructose which is the worst sugar for gaining weight, like i said though 2-3 a day wont hurt you. If you have one or something sugary after workout it wont do anything but good since your body needs carbs to restore its glucose levels so you have a temporary window to eat them (i recommend a banana or some coco powder in milk for after a workout).

As far as exercise goes you will be better off with interval training and also if you can some weight lifting. Interval training is superior to just simply jogging for half an hour a day since jogging mainly helps the cardio vasuclar system i.e increase strength of your heart(less beats a min) and amount of blood in your body which gives more oxygen and nutrients to muscles that need them.

Interval training somthing like sprinting as fast as you can for e.g 10-30seconds then doing a slow paced jog for 10-30 seconds (dont stop completely these numbers can also change alot depending on how long you want them to be) means your body has to work harder burning more calories to keep your muscles working.Aim to be working at a fast speed longer or at the same amount of time you are working at a slow speed.Doing this for around 12-20 mins is much much better than simply jogging at a constant speed where your body knows whats happening and dosnt have to do much.

Also if you can get to a gym and work with weights dont be affraid to use them they will aid weight lose aswell due to the fact that the more muscle you have the the more you will burn calories because your muscles breathe and eat so they require nutrients thus eating up some stored weight (dont worrie about looking like arnold schwarzenegger its nearly impossible to look buff as a girl unless your using somthing)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Hi, I'm 15 and 106lbs. I started losing weight about 6 months ago by running and eating healthy foods only. I went down a dress size and 2 bra sizes :/ I am now happy with my weight and the way I look except my belly is still overly flabby and looks like a muffin top, even though I am classed as 'underweight'.
I want to lose the weight from my belly, I've been told to do this by exercising but when I run I lose weight everywhere except my stomach.. including my boobs, by I REALLY do not want to lose anymore from my boobs :frown:

So.. How can I lose the fat from my belly but not my chest?
No offence, but how many threads are you gonna create about the same thing???
Reply 19
Because i'm concerned. And if I don't get an answer that's going to help me achieve what I am looking for, what am I supposed to do.. give up? No. I've put in so much effort to get to the stage I am at now and I want to be 100% happy with how I look and some people have gave me some really helpful and supportive advice which has made me feel better.
No offence but if you don't like it ignore it. It's not difficult is it? The only reason you're posting on this is so others will agree with you to give you a boost.

Quick Reply

Latest