The Student Room Group

Specsavers or Vision Express?

Tried looking for a topic similar to this but I couldn't find any...apologies if there is :colondollar:

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I was just wondering where it's cheaper to get glasses from (and maybe contacts)? Any good deals on at the moment in either shops?

Edit: I've also noticed VE is a lot more expensive than Specsavers...Does that mean Specsavers make products of inferior quality or is the difference in quality negligible?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
go to specsavers they have good deals for students. vision express is a waste of money. or check out eyewearbrands.com they have loads of designer glasses for reasonable prices.
Reply 2
I've never had any problems with the quality of glasses from specsavers, and they do good deals so I'd say go there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should have gone to specsavers
Specsavers are great
Thanks a lot everyone :smile: Don't know if I should get my eye test in vision express or specsavers now, I found a pair I really liked at specsavers...
check out eyewearbrands.com they have loads of designer glasses for reasonable prices.

I've been having a look at this site & there's some frames I think would really suit me. I'd like to have a few different styles of glasses to choose from & would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has bought glasses online ie how well do they fit etc? With the ones I've got now I had chance to try them on in the opticians/ get them adjusted & I still don't like having the feeling of frames against my ears all day. I can imagine if I got a pair that didn't fit quite right I'd be really uncomfortable in them.
i've heard that the reason vision express is so expensive is that they charge you for the lenses as well as the frames, whereas in specsavers and boots they're free! it's seriously a waste of money, nothing to do with quality.
Original post by beccafairy
i've heard that the reason vision express is so expensive is that they charge you for the lenses as well as the frames, whereas in specsavers and boots they're free! it's seriously a waste of money, nothing to do with quality.

Yeah I noticed that today, their base price for the frame is about 50 ish and they charge you on the lense too. But with specsavers the price they put on the frames includes the price of the lenses (i.e. scratch resistant, etc..). Boots do the 2 pairs for £79 but they charge you £50 to add anti-refractive/thinning to the lenses of ONE pair. So that's £100 for both pairs.

I think I'm going to go to Vision Express to get my eye test then specsavers to get my frames. Good/bad idea? I think my eye test was better in vision express as my prescription shot up from when I moved from specsavers to VE...Really hope that wasn't why my prescription went up :frown:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yeah I noticed that today, their base price for the frame is about 50 ish and they charge you on the lense too. But with specsavers the price they put on the frames includes the price of the lenses (i.e. scratch resistant, etc..). Boots do the 2 pairs for £79 but they charge you £50 to add anti-refractive/thinning to the lenses of ONE pair. So that's £100 for both pairs.

I think I'm going to go to Vision Express to get my eye test then specsavers to get my frames. Good/bad idea? I think my eye test was better in vision express as my prescription shot up from when I moved from specsavers to VE...Really hope that wasn't why my prescription went up :frown:

all lenses are made to be scratch resistant, with specsavers you still have to pay for extra treatment like anti-glare and thinning, and it costs the same. i've been going to both specsavers and boots for years and they're both equally as good, though i tend to find better offers in boots (they always seem to have non-restrictive buy one get one free's etc). :smile: you can get your eyes tested anywhere, it shouldn't make a difference!
all lenses are made to be scratch resistant, with specsavers you still have to pay for extra treatment like anti-glare and thinning, and it costs the same. i've been going to both specsavers and boots for years and they're both equally as good, though i tend to find better offers in boots (they always seem to have non-restrictive buy one get one free's etc). :smile: you can get your eyes tested anywhere, it shouldn't make a difference!

sorry, that's what I meant...I couldn't think of any on the stop so I just said what I last saw lol. I went into boots today and didn't really like their selection so I'm going to specsavers (where I DID find something good). Do you know how long it takes for specsavers to make the glasses? Also, how much does thinning cost (for specsavers)?

I'd like to think that, but I think my prescription won't be A LOT higher this time round than last time (I think it may be due to the actual staff as opposed to the company tbh). Maybe I've just been taking care of my eyes more this time round and wearing my glasses more. I don't know.
sorry, that's what I meant...I couldn't think of any on the stop so I just said what I last saw lol. I went into boots today and didn't really like their selection so I'm going to specsavers (where I DID find something good). Do you know how long it takes for specsavers to make the glasses? Also, how much does thinning cost (for specsavers)?

I'd like to think that, but I think my prescription won't be A LOT higher this time round than last time (I think it may be due to the actual staff as opposed to the company tbh). Maybe I've just been taking care of my eyes more this time round and wearing my glasses more. I don't know.

hmm, well it's normal for prescriptions to change, don't worry! :smile:
for me they've usually taken a week to ten days, they may say within two weeks to be on the safe side, but they'd most likely do it faster. thinning costs the same as boots - the first level with the anti-glare thing costs £50 i think, then it goes up from there. i need mine thinning by the first level, really hope i don't need more in the future cos man, it's pricey!
Reply 12

At my local specsavers, it takes only a few days to make the glasses. At the one in the next town along, they do a same day service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a difference, you should have gone to Specsavers.
hmm, well it's normal for prescriptions to change, don't worry! :smile:
for me they've usually taken a week to ten days, they may say within two weeks to be on the safe side, but they'd most likely do it faster. thinning costs the same as boots - the first level with the anti-glare thing costs £50 i think, then it goes up from there. i need mine thinning by the first level, really hope i don't need more in the future cos man, it's pricey!

Ouch, that's quite expensive. Is that the price they charge for under 18s as well? I don't remember it being that expensive when I got my glasses from there like 4 years ago :s-smilie:

Original post by coopsyy
At my local specsavers, it takes only a few days to make the glasses. At the one in the next town along, they do a same day service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, thanks :smile:
I have a bad track record with specsavers, they seem great if you 'simple eye sight' problems, the moment one eye is worse than they other they couldn't cope. 2 different branches and they couldn't get my prescription right at either and went through 4 pairs of glasses in a month! Plus, compared to me slightly more expensive frames, there frames seem built for kids.

Never been in VE though so can't compare, I go to an independent one now. Costs me about £20 more but for better quality everything!
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
I have a bad track record with specsavers, they seem great if you 'simple eye sight' problems, the moment one eye is worse than they other they couldn't cope. 2 different branches and they couldn't get my prescription right at either and went through 4 pairs of glasses in a month! Plus, compared to me slightly more expensive frames, there frames seem built for kids.

Never been in VE though so can't compare, I go to an independent one now. Costs me about £20 more but for better quality everything!

Oh dear, how big is the difference in prescription for your eyes? Currently my right is 2.50 and my left is 3.0 (I think my left has gone up again though :frown:)
Oh dear, how big is the difference in prescription for your eyes? Currently my right is 2.50 and my left is 3.0 (I think my left has gone up again though :frown:)

My right is 1.5, my left is 3.5 ... but according to specsavers it was 0.5 and 3.0 so you can see why the glasses never worked..

Not sure of your age ... but if you are under 18 and in FT education then you get a free NHS eye check up whichever optometrists you go to. If you are at Uni you could apply for a HC2 which gives you the same. You also get an optical voucher if you are on NHS which reduces prices.

So, I go once a year and need a new pair of glasses every year. I pay nothing for my eye test and about £40-£50 for glasses at my little independent place. Thats with anti-glare and scratch resistant coating. I aslo get contacts when I can afford them! My nan always said to me to look after my eyes, they are the most important sense you have, so I make sure I get the right prescription and all that stuff.

There are many above who don't have a problem with specsavers so you might be okay. they do have a clause:

"Can I return products if I am not happy with them?

Yes. If for any reason you're not happy with your glasses please return them to the store that gave fitted you with them. Our full returns policy is detailed in the Legal Policy section."

So if they aren't right you can take them back and they will give you a free re-test if you believe its the prescription that is the problem. I had 4 retests in 2 stores ha!
Ouch, that's quite expensive. Is that the price they charge for under 18s as well? I don't remember it being that expensive when I got my glasses from there like 4 years ago :s-smilie:

i think because it's an extra you still have to pay the same, not too sure though as i'm over 18!
Thanks everyone! Ended up going to specsavers and managed to get a really nice frame with thinned lenses/anti glare for 65. (Frame was 85 too!) Hope the prescription is right though. My right eye improved from 2.50 to 2.25, not a big deal but still an improvement :redface: so happy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending