The Student Room Group

Anyone else doing a 'dry January'?

After all the festive fun and indulgence many of us may have probably consumed a few too many units of alcohol! Is anyone taking part in/even heard of 'dry January'? It's basically a challenge to stay alcohol-free for 31 days!

http://www.dryjanuary.org.uk/

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/campaign/dry-january

i'm doing it! mainly because i'm interested in seeing if it has any visible effect on my body! however i didn't really drink over Christmas (i had the flu for the best part of it!) but i'm still intrigued by the health benefits!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would but in all honesty i like my liquor too much :colone:
It might be a good idea for me, actually. I'm on a diet and go for a gym, but I only do this to compensate for the amount of alcohol I drink on nights out :P Defo won't be drinking for at least half of the month anyway 'cause I have uni exams.

I'm gonna do it! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Does it count if you were drinking in the early hours of January 1st or still had alcohol in your system?
Reply 4
Original post by ch0llima
Does it count if you were drinking in the early hours of January 1st or still had alcohol in your system?

i definitely still had alcohol in my system past midnight but i don't think the day truly starts until after you've woken up :wink:
Bugger that. I only turned 18 a few days ago and I foolishly left my ID 10 hours away at university so I have absolutely zero intention of having a "dry" January.
Reply 6
Hmm okay, tempted to give it a go anyway :smile:. I drank far too much over the Christmas period [including two messy nights out with friends, although one of them was Hogmanay to be fair] and definitely can't handle heavy nights like I used to.
Reply 7
After the disaster that was New Year's, I'm tempted. However, when I go back on the alcohol it will be awful and I will be hungover for at least 3 days, currently experiencing it now after NYE as I hadn't drunk for 6 weeks prior.
Reply 8
I'd try it however my birthday is this month. Might do it February though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Would like to try this but 1) I have no will power & 2) going out for friends birthday on 29th however if I can make it till then ill be well chuffed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Not a chance, I like to drink and I also like to think that I drink in moderation (most of the time).
Reply 11
I'm doing it but I didn't even realise its an actual thing! I just needed too after 9 straight drunk days during the Christmas fun! Woops! :K:
Ohhhh drinking...I thought this meant something else...

No to both anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by A Perfect Circle
Ohhhh drinking...I thought this meant something else...

No to both anyway.

i believe what you may be thinking of is "no-fap february"
Reply 14
After my 'near death experience' that was NYE i'm going to give it a go. But i'm a Northumbria student, we're famed for getting smashed. Currently the the word vodka is making me feel a bit ill and the smell of Bailey's cream this evening almost turned my stomach upside down. The only thing I really want to drink is an Apple VK and as that's basically Appletiser the craving is easily satisfied. I can see this going rapidly downhill when I get back to Uni though and me failing miserably, as long as it teaches me to never as long as I live, get like I was this NYE though I think i'll be satisfied.
Reply 15
Sounds tempting, I could probably go another week or so but when I'm back at university, this dry spell will not last...
Original post by slappyhours
After all the festive fun and indulgence many of us may have probably consumed a few too many units of alcohol! Is anyone taking part in/even heard of 'dry January'? It's basically a challenge to stay alcohol-free for 31 days!

http://www.dryjanuary.org.uk/

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/campaign/dry-january

i'm doing it! mainly because i'm interested in seeing if it has any visible effect on my body! however i didn't really drink over Christmas (i had the flu for the best part of it!) but i'm still intrigued by the health benefits!

Longest I've been without alcohol since I started drinking was 5 months at the start of 2010. By the end of it you do want to get drunk.

I noticed things like better sleep and appetite but that will happen after a few days unless you drink all the time which I didn't.

With alcohol I think binge drinkers (so that's most young people pretty much :confused:) may be better off consuming small amounts of alcohol regularly instead of abstaining altogether because of pressure/temptation, it's comparable to people who diet and deprive themselves and then end up pigging out on junk food when they can't handle it anymore. I have done this before, got drunk then swore I would never drink again, quit for a month then just binged again. I drink 3 or 4 drinks now with a pint of water in between and by the time I'm on my third I just feel sleepy.

If anyone finds it a genuine challenge to stay alcohol free for 31 days though, then you probably have a drink problem. 31 days is nothing.
Dry January
Your chance to ditch the hangover.

More like my chance to get the hangover that could kill me due to how much I drink, yeah I'll give this a miss as I'd much rather continue to drink what I do on a daily basis than die from a hangover.
Bugger! Yeah this isn't happening already have plans for alcohol consumption on the first day back at uni (Birthday celebrations!) and Refreshers will be highly necessary after the ordeal of Jan exams :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes but I dont drink anyway so its easy for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest