The Student Room Group

Should I get a Vauxhall Astra?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JC.
It's your money dude. If that's what ticks the boxes for you then go for it.
Personally I'd be looking at something like a Passat diesel if I were after a mile muncher and fuel economy was of concern.

I've never really been interested in fuel consumption, so when I've had to commute long distances on the motorway I've always gone for either a Jag saloon or some sort of GT cruiser.

If it had to be a modern car and had to have cruise (ignoring the age restriction) I think I'd be looking at 2.5 litre Boxsters (bigger engines are a bit fragile - my other half dropped 9 grand on an engine rebuild for her 3.2 Boxster S!) The 2.5's are pretty bomb proof, though.

I did look at the Passats and I can't deny that Volkswagens are absolute quality. Just quality. Surprisingly as well for the 2 litre passat the insurance was only about £100 more than for the 1.4 Astra. It's got the cruise control etc as well. But theres just something about the Astra's interior that I can't get over.

Only thing is that this needs to be the right purchase. I want this to last me atleast 5 or 6 years therefore I need to make the right choice. I don't wanna spend 9k on a car for it to need constant repairs after 3 years or so.

Are the passats quite reliable?

Original post by StudentNeedingHelp
Go for it bro! If mileage really matters to you then pay the extra if not then look elsewhere for better prices

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because I want it to last 5 or 6 years. I could probably stretch to under 40000 miles rather than 10000. Just gotta make the right choice.
Reply 21
They seem to do OK?
A pal of mine has had his 5 years and put 60k on it and aside from some electrical gremlins it's done well enough.

I think you're brave commiting to something for 6 years, though. I get bored after 6 weeks and need a change as a rule!
Original post by JC.
They seem to do OK?
A pal of mine has had his 5 years and put 60k on it and aside from some electrical gremlins it's done well enough.

I think you're brave commiting to something for 6 years, though. I get bored after 6 weeks and need a change as a rule!

So when you selling the Disco?

I'm thinking of buying one in a few months, diesel though, cannot justify the 12mpg from the petrol engines!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by MrWhosane
So when you selling the Disco?

I'm thinking of buying one in a few months, diesel though, cannot justify the 12mpg from the petrol engines!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I had my way, it'd be the third week in feb. Any snow potential is over and done with by then (usually).
I think my other half (who actually uses it most) wants to hang on to it a bit, though???

Check the chassis, particularly rear body mounts and the inner rear arches (open the back doors) if you fancy a disco. Most are rotten if you're looking for a D1. D2's tend to be a bit less rotten. Whatever you get, try and get one in ES spec - you get quite a few toys.
Reply 24
Original post by Camoxide
Get a focus

+1.

I've got a Focus and an Astra H and I'd take the Focus over the Astra any day.
Reply 25
Original post by JC.
If I had my way, it'd be the third week in feb. Any snow potential is over and done with by then (usually).
I think my other half (who actually uses it most) wants to hang on to it a bit, though???

Check the chassis, particularly rear body mounts and the inner rear arches (open the back doors) if you fancy a disco. Most are rotten if you're looking for a D1. D2's tend to be a bit less rotten. Whatever you get, try and get one in ES spec - you get quite a few toys.

Personally I think the Facelifted D2 is one of the prettiest cars Land Rover ever made - perfect proportions in pretty much every dimension :daydreaming:

Shame they tended to leak and had loads of electrical problems.

Quick Reply

Latest