The Student Room Group

Kirchner's kicking off over the Falkland Islands again....

"Argentina's president has called on the UK government to hand over the Falkland Islands, in an open letter printed in British newspapers.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner urges Prime Minister David Cameron to abide by a 1965 UN resolution to "negotiate a solution" over the islands.

The letter says they were forcibly stripped from Argentina in "a blatant exercise of 19th Century colonialism".

The government said the Falklands' population had chosen to be British.

The Foreign Office said there could be no negotiations on the sovereignty of the Falklands "unless and until such time as the islanders so wish".

A referendum on the islands' political status is to be held in March."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20896050

:sigh:

Once again, another attempt at a vote winning tactic :rolleyes:

Whenever will she learn/understand that the Falkland islanders have CHOSEN to be British?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

End colonialism - give Patagonia back to the native inhabitants.
Reply 2
Oh no, not this again :tongue:
Reply 3
This is getting boring.
I'm not entirely sure what the political situation is like in Argentina at the moment, but when their leaders start to mention the Falklands, it's usually a sign of domestic difficulties. She's not the first to use the islands as a distraction, and she won't be the last. Unfortunately, this means that we won't ever hear the end of the Falklands issue...
Reply 5
She should put up or shut up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Desperate as ever. Maybe she's trying to grab any support she can get in light of the increased financial difficulty.
Reply 7
When is this idiot going to be out of power? I'm sick of her whining about colonialism and blatant disregard for the wills of the people living in the Falklands
Reply 8
She is calling for 'territorial integrity to be restored' - how about she restores her political integrity and accepts the fact that the Falkland Islands are British and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Her and the Spanish government need to pipe down over Gibraltar and FI as they want to remain British territories, they are proudly British and don't like the countries that "want them back".
Reply 9
come on Argies if you're hard enough
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
End colonialism - give Patagonia back to the native inhabitants.

Are you implying that the Argetntinanians are natives? *facepalm*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
We should not look to the past for the solution to this debate. We are in 2013 and in March there will be a referendum in the Falklands on what they want. It is almost certain they will vote to remain British and hence they should continue to be British.
Original post by Aj12
When is this idiot going to be out of power? I'm sick of her whining about colonialism and blatant disregard for the wills of the people living in the Falklands

Whenever it happens her successor might be the same. The only reason it slacked off for a while is because the Argies were pissed off at themselves and the powers that be for losing the war. Now they've come round in a full circle somewhat and are back at it again.
Reply 13
Original post by FrogInABog
I'm not entirely sure what the political situation is like in Argentina at the moment, but when their leaders start to mention the Falklands, it's usually a sign of domestic difficulties. She's not the first to use the islands as a distraction, and she won't be the last. Unfortunately, this means that we won't ever hear the end of the Falklands issue...

She has recently been facing riots, I believe the inflation there is pretty bad.

The woman needs to sit down, shut up and sort out her own damn country.
She's using it as a distraction, nothing more.

The more she moans about it, the more the general public in this country are getting fed up with it - Which will almost certainly increase the already very high public support for the Falklands.
She's shooting her self in the foot, both with her pathetic smoke and mirrors, as well as the pathetic 'claim' they have on the Falklands.

There is not a single chance Kirchner would even consider military action again, Britain would defend the Islands just as swiftly as they did during the war.
She's a moaner, a pain in the arse - But she's not thick.
Reply 15
Original post by Imperial_Maniac

He is implying that the argentinians should give back the land to the natives.

Original post by Imperial_Maniac

No. Argentina (newly formed) and Chile invaded Patagonia in 1843 and massacred most of the population there against the treaty signed upon independence from Spain. My point being that Argentina has no right to be talking about colonialism when they are still, in effect, colonisers.
Original post by Aj12

Why is she an "idiot"? People always go on about how "they only do this to distract from domestic problems", and that's exactly what it does. Doesn't really seem that idiotic to me?

And to play devils advocate, the Argentinians clearly don't see the people living in the Falkland Islands as legitimate settlers. While unfair to blame the current inhabitants for what their ancestors did, it's not that difficult to see why the Argentinians see them as occupiers who shouldn't have a say in the matter as opposed to our view of them being legitimate settlers. (Not that I agree with the Argentinian claim to the islands, just that it isn't as clear-cut as the "the islands are clearly ours and no-one can legitimately disagree" mentality people often claim on this topic)
Reply 18
She is aware that the islanders don't want to be Argentinian?
This seems like a last ditch attempt to claw back the Falklands before the referendum in March, seeing as they're predicted to vote overwhelmingly in favour of staying with the UK.
Original post by kevin6767
It is a distraction. Argentina is one of the few latin American countries not growing. Inflation is rampent, vast protests constantly against her government, this is nothing more than posturing. If she got the islands it would win her the election. We go through this every few months. I would say yes the islands will be returned to the south american territory once you return to portugal and spain. She knows she is heading for defeat at the next election.

she can't fix her country.

So best way to stay in power is to deflect.

It is ironic referring to UN resolutions for diplomacy drawn up before they invaded.

Its like anytime Israel demands UN resolutions on Iran

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending