The Student Room Group

How to revise A-Levels

I am currently revising AQA C1 Maths, I have an exam on 14th January. It's the only January exam I have. I am doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for AS at the moment, and I plan to start revising intensely for my May/June AS exams once my C1 Maths exam is over, e.g. doing past papers, making mind maps etc. So, if I start revising in mid-January for my May/June exams, will that be enough time to cover everything or have I left it too late?

I have been doing okay in my end of topic tests at school, some very good results when I revised well and some terrible results when I haven't revised. I get set quite a lot of homework, so I always use my free periods to finish off my homework. Sometimes, I go home and I recap over what I have learnt in class.
(edited 11 years ago)
Mid-January is far too early to be revising for summer exams! As a rough guide I'd say start at Easter at the earliest unless you're really struggling. Ideally you don't want to be doing much revision while you're still learning bits of the syllabus for the first time as a) it'll be hard to factor in retrospectively and b) you risk burning yourself out by May.
Reply 2
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Mid-January is far too early to be revising for summer exams! As a rough guide I'd say start at Easter at the earliest unless you're really struggling. Ideally you don't want to be doing much revision while you're still learning bits of the syllabus for the first time as a) it'll be hard to factor in retrospectively and b) you risk burning yourself out by May.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated:smile:
What worries me is at the beginning of the year, on my first AS Chemistry lesson, my teacher said that the year 12 students who have the attitude of "Oh I'll get myself sorted at Christmas/I'll leave it'till easter to get sorted" are the ones who fail their A-Level, do badly, and end up having to resit year 12 all over again.
Original post by MissGeek
What worries me is at the beginning of the year, on my first AS Chemistry lesson, my teacher said that the year 12 students who have the attitude of "Oh I'll get myself sorted at Christmas/I'll leave it'till easter to get sorted" are the ones who fail their A-Level, do badly, and end up having to resit year 12 all over again.

I think that's more targeted at the kind of people that barely do any work at all during the term to learn things for the first time. As long as you're taking stuff in well enough the first time round, which it sounds like you probably are, there's no problem in leaving proper revision until closer to the exams. Good luck!
Original post by MissGeek

The problem is teachers say things like that to try to scare the people who don't work enough - but actually end up scaring people like yourself, who would be working hard anyway. I agree with the other posters, focus on understanding the content as you learn it, it will make your eventual revision so much easier!

Quick Reply

Latest