The Student Room Group

Please Help me by giving proper suggestion

I am from India..I want to pursue LLB from UK at first and after tht i want to become a Barrister.The economical condition of my house is not at all outstanding.So I want to get a job after my LLB and side by side i want to continue my studies.After becoming a Barrister i want to go back to my own country immidiately and there i want to practice in the high court only in the Criminal field of Law.I can also take a job here after my return bt it will be only as a public prosector in government/private crime investigation bureaus of my state or Country..At present i am in India pursuing B.A degree(m in 2nd year now)side by side m also pursuing B.A English in correspondance/distance mode...My A level score was low..So i am trying to get a first class degree in my B.A..Here i have gt 2 options 1st is to complete my Bachelors of Arts with a good percentage of marks and then applyng for the LLB Senior Status(2years)/LLB Graduate Entry course and after that for the LLM and BPTC respectively. Bt m getting afraid in this case because i have seen The Bar Council Of India only recognize the 3 years LLB degree..if BCI will nt accept my degree(after my return to my own country by becoming a Barrister)it will be the saddest incident of my life..The other option i have is tht after completing my graduation if I apply for the 3 years LLB course and aftr tht LLM and finally for the BPTC, I thnk tht cn also help me.According to one of the local educational counsellor here,my graduation degree percentage will nt be accepted for the 3 years LLB course.The admission will be on the basis of my A LEVEL marks and in that case m getting the option for these Universities....Northumbria,East London,West London,Central Lancashire,Westminister,Birmingham City,Swansea,Bangor also there r 2,3 i hv to ask her and then i can post here...So suggest me which will be a better thing for me to d.... kindly take me out of this situation by helping me.......please help me by giving proper suggestion that will fulfill my requirements...m very much worried regarding this issue in these days. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I would find it a little surprising if a UK university only took your A'levels into account, and entirely ignored the fact that you had done a BA and done well in it.

However your best option will be to telephone the admissions officer for some of the universities you might be interested in, and ask them whether, if you have an undergraduate BA, but you want to study a 3 year LLB as a second undergraduate degree, you would be considered on the basis of your BA results or only your A'level results.
Reply 2
Original post by Crumpet1
I would find it a little surprising if a UK university only took your A'levels into account, and entirely ignored the fact that you had done a BA and done well in it.

However your best option will be to telephone the admissions officer for some of the universities you might be interested in, and ask them whether, if you have an undergraduate BA, but you want to study a 3 year LLB as a second undergraduate degree, you would be considered on the basis of your BA results or only your A'level results.

Ok thanx for ur suggestion.....the Universities tht i hv listed wht d u think which will be the suitable one fr me?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Quite honestly, all of them are third rate, with Swansea about the best of them. I don't know why you would want to come to the UK and incur international student fees for any of them. Surely it would be better to stay in your home country and get your LLB there?

If you hope to be able to use your BA results to target a better university, why not call one of the Russell Group universities for a chat. Either the admissions officer or the international office.

This website will give you a (vague) idea of how universities are ranked for undergraduate law:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law
but obviously treat with the caution that all league table should be treated with.
Reply 4
Ya Dude u r right
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I sort of understand the issues you're going through. Your college counsellor is a moron if he/she thinks that A-Levels are all that matter. Your BA will be taken into account and if you do well in it there is no reason why you can't get into a good university.

Tbh, as one of the previous posters has said, the current universities you're looking at are very poorly ranked and you'd honestly be wasting money going to one of them. It would behoove you to gauge your chances at a top university with your BA degree scores. Call their admissions offices and ask if you have a shot with them.

If you want to practice Criminal Law as an Advocate in India, the odds are already skewed against you, especially because becoming an advocate that's actually paid well is quite challenging. You need to go to one of the better universities to be taken seriously.

As far as the BCI is concerned, they actually have a list on their website about universities in the UK who's LLB qualifications they deem "questionable" and you have to mandatorily sit for the Indian Bar Exam to qualify as a lawyer in India if you've gotten your degree from one of these universities. I would check that list online because (to me) it seems as though more than one of our aforementioned universities are on that list.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending