The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

clinical science Brad

Anyone here studying this course and willing to answer afew questions about the course? :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Libby18
Anyone here studying this course and willing to answer afew questions about the course? :biggrin:

Helloo,

I did the Foundation Year last year and transferred over to Medicine 1st year. I can try answering your questions!
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
Original post by Doctor2017
Helloo,

I did the Foundation Year last year and transferred over to Medicine 1st year. I can try answering your questions!

thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Doctor2017
Helloo,

Is there anywhere where I can access some materials/books/course content or anything you could send me just to see what the course content is like and if its actually manageable for me? I should be fine, but I just like to have a look before hand :')

Also, how many modules are there and what are they like in comparsion to A-levels?
Reply 4
I no longer have access to my bradford uni account but I can list as many topic areas of the modules as I can!

In Foundation Year (Year 0) there are 6 modules:
1. Biology
In semester 1 you will study the basics of cells, cell organelles, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, protein synthesis, plasma membrane and transport, enzymes and cellular respiration.
You will have an exam on this content in January and will be 40% of the module mark)
-this stuff goes a little beyond Alevel biology

In semester 2 gets more interesting, you'll study..Tissues, the basics of organ systems, regulation and control, Organisation of the Nervous system (CNS and PNS, sensory receptors and effectors, anatomy of the CNS), Neurotransmission, Basics of the Endocrine System, Fluid regulation in the body.
You will have an exam on this stuff in the end of year exams which will be worth 50%
This stuff was definitely not A-level Biology information....BUT to get a better idea i suggest you, buy or borrow from a library, an anatomy and physiology textbook. flick through the beginning of the book and it should have short chapters which will give you a good idea of this module content!

You'll also do a lab based experiment and write a laboratory report about it (pretty straight forward, they tell you how to structure it and what to include) this is worth the remaining 10% of the module)

2. Chemistry
Semester 1 i found was stuff from AS Chemistry. All about atoms, isotopes, equations, molar calculations, bonding, organic chemistry etc
(exam in January worth 40%)

Semester 2 stuff i found related more to my A2 level Chemistry...Thermochemistry, rates of reactions, acids and bases, alkenes, Alcohols, amines, carbnyls, amino acids and proteins.
(exam at the end of the year worth 60%)

NOTE: you have to get 70% in this module if you want to transfer over to Leeds and study medicine

3. Laboratory and Study Skills
Maths exam in semester 1 (25%) - basic math calculations without calculator, BMI, pharmaceutical maths (how to calculate dosages etc)
Lab Report based on an experiment in semester 1 (30%)

Anatomy spot test in semester 2 (30%) - surface anatomy of bones and histology of bones (youll usually find a chapter about bones and bone formation, histology and surface anatomy in an anatomy and physiology textbook)

PBL report in semester 2 (15%) - you'll write a report on your experience of problem based cases that youll be asked to work through in a group.

4. Special Studies
You will write two scientific essays throughout the year on a given title (that you choose from a list then they allocate you one) - each is worth 35%

You will also write a leaflet based on something science and health related probably. (worth 30%)

5. Health and Society
50% essay (they set it on health promotion for my year)
50% exam at the end of the year - all about the NHS and health professionals and what makes a good health care professional, health promotion models etc.

6. Personal and Professional Development (PPD)
- Presentation (30%) - 5minute presentation about a chosen journal article

-Conference (35%) - I leave that as a surprise for you (plus it might change year on year, but it was fun and challenging)

- Personal Development Portfolio (PDP) (35%) - Throughout the year you write about your learning techniques, make action plans, reflect on your learning and experiences basically.

I hope I helped!

I'll try answering any more questions or anything in more depth if you need.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Libby18
thank you! :smile:
Hi,what did u do for your personal statement, I mean what was it based on? I am thinking about applying to this course but also Adult Nursing is it ok for my personal statement to be based on Nursing? But shall I tell them that I want to study medicine, you may think why, but I havnt got relevant subjects to be attending medical schools so that why my personal statement isnt based on medicine? Thanks
Hi Libby

If you have any questions about the course at all, or how you should shape your personal statement, do not hesitate to get in touch. Our Clinical Sciences team will be more than happy to help as will the staff over at Adult Nursing.

For more information about Clinical Sciences contact Dr Debbie Quirke and Mrs Andrea Diston

Tel: 01274 236295

Fax: 01274 309742

And take a look at our new University video to find out more about studying here at Bradford:

[video="youtube_share;q5PS-uEs69c"]http://youtu.be/q5PS-uEs69c[/video]

You can also ask any questions here on on Twitter or Facebook:

@bradforduni

https://www.facebook.com/university.bradford

Cheers

Claire

Original post by University of Bradford
Hi Libby

If you have any questions about the course at all, or how you should shape your personal statement, do not hesitate to get in touch. Our Clinical Sciences team will be more than happy to help as will the staff over at Adult Nursing.

For more information about Clinical Sciences contact Dr Debbie Quirke and Mrs Andrea Diston

Tel: 01274 236295

Fax: 01274 309742

And take a look at our new University video to find out more about studying here at Bradford:

[video="youtube_share;q5PS-uEs69c"]http://youtu.be/q5PS-uEs69c[/video]

You can also ask any questions here on on Twitter or Facebook:

@bradforduni

https://www.facebook.com/university.bradford

Cheers

Claire

Ok thank you very much:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest