The Student Room Group

Country Descriptions

So i'm writing this in OOC (out of character to new members) and I remember Zaliack bringing up a fantastic idea about member's writing a description about their country with interesting facts/their political and cultural philosophies to help other members learn a little something.

I'm just now wondering how much support this idea would have? It could help bolster activity and it definitely sounds like something i'd been keen on getting involved with to learn something new about the other nations in the MUN. And by this, I don't mean copy and pasting the Wikipedia entry :wink:

Perhaps this could come in the form a thread composed by the Secretary/Deputy Secretary General that can become stickied? (i.e. permanently on the list of MUN threads) Ideas?

Original post by zaliack
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't mind writing about Russia and I could give Spain a shot... just depends on whether Birchington wants it done for all countries in which case, for those without reps, someone is going to be doing a lot of work :tongue:
Original post by tehFrance
I don't mind writing about Russia and I could give Spain a shot... just depends on whether Birchington wants it done for all countries in which case, for those without reps, someone is going to be doing a lot of work :tongue:

Haha that is true! But I assume, for now, those countries that do have reps could get descriptions, we'll have to decide what happens to the rest, i'd be happy to write a dozen or so for the vacant members.

I think the main point of this, apart from having a bit of a laugh, would be to make each seat seem as unique and important as the next to make filling the less-known countries a fun challenge rather than 'Damn, I wish I was representing [enter superpower here]' :tongue:
Any one else like this idea?
Reply 4
Sounds good i'll be happy to give the UK/NZ a play with :smile:
Reply 5
I like the idea, and I wouldn't mind writing some for unfilled seats.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Is this a feasible idea?

Original post by Birchington
x
Great idea. It's coming, I'm working on wiki templates at the moment.
Original post by Birchington
Great idea. It's coming, I'm working on wiki templates at the moment.

Excellent. Sorry, i'm making you a busy man with all these suggestions haha.
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Excellent. Sorry, i'm making you a busy man with all these suggestions haha.

It's what he's there for. :whip:
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's what he's there for. :whip:

True true. I guess at heart i'm a constitutional reformer and consequently, should be a Liberal Democrat, but alas, no.
Reply 11
The US is number 1; there is nothing more to discuss.
Original post by Kiss
The US is number 1; there is nothing more to discuss.

You sound like Rakas and how he used to portray Sweden. In every thread, it was 'Sweden considers [enter country name here] inferior and will thus look down its nose at said nation'

Somehow I don't think this is how Sweden approaches its foreign policy.

But your description is 100% accurate.
Reply 13
So i'm writing this in OOC (out of character to new members) and I remember Zaliack bringing up a fantastic idea about member's writing a description about their country with interesting facts/their political and cultural philosophies to help other members learn a little something.

I'm just now wondering how much support this idea would have? It could help bolster activity and it definitely sounds like something i'd been keen on getting involved with to learn something new about the other nations in the MUN. And by this, I don't mean copy and pasting the Wikipedia entry :wink:

Perhaps this could come in the form a thread composed by the Secretary/Deputy Secretary General that can become stickied? (i.e. permanently on the list of MUN threads) Ideas?

This is an excellent idea which I hinted on in my manifesto - this can become part of the mentoring scheme which I intend to set up soon, especially around this time as there's new members joining the MUN everyday following our recent rollcall. :smile:
Original post by RoryS
This is an excellent idea which I hinted on in my manifesto - this can become part of the mentoring scheme which I intend to set up soon, especially around this time as there's new members joining the MUN everyday following our recent rollcall. :smile:

Fantastic!

Have you been given your prided powers yet? :tongue:
Reply 15
You sound like Rakas and how he used to portray Sweden. In every thread, it was 'Sweden considers [enter country name here] inferior and will thus look down its nose at said nation'

Somehow I don't think this is how Sweden approaches its foreign policy.

But your description is 100% accurate.

Except Sweeden is puny and weak; the US is magnificent.
Reply 16
Fantastic!

Have you been given your prided powers yet? :tongue:

Yes I have, only just getting used to it! There are some issues though, which I'm trying to resolve with a Mod now :biggrin:
Original post by RoryS
Yes I have, only just getting used to it! There are some issues though, which I'm trying to resolve with a Mod now :biggrin:

Clearly the best part about having Assistance powers is that you get a bigger picture than the average member like me :wink:
Reply 18
Clearly the best part about having Assistance powers is that you get a bigger picture than the average member like me :wink:

Most definitely, I've not explored that bit yet though! :tongue:
Original post by RoryS
Most definitely, I've not explored that bit yet though! :tongue:

Being able to see the MUN/MHoC Recycle bin is pretty good at times. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending