The Student Room Group

Economics EDEXCEL AS exam evaluation and structure help!

I have an economics exam in a few weeks and I'm doing unit 1: Competitive Markets (Edexcel).I'm currently memorising the content, however I'm aware that just memorising the content will only get you so far. Sure, for section A it will work but for section B evaluation points are what get you the majority of marks. However, I haven't been taught at school how to approach section B and section B is my weakness :s-smilie: I was wondering whether anyone could give me a "skeleton structure" (How to structure my answer) that I could apply to any question I come across in section B. And also give me some evaluation points for a few topics that I could use .For evaluation points for each topic shall I just write down the long term and short term effects, so for price elasticity of demand, I could write in my notes the difference between products with low price elasticity of demand ( such as salt) and then products with high price elasticity ( such as spaghetti) and then write down the long term/short term effect on the economy it has? I would obviously adapt it to the question I get, but would that be a good way to approach section B?
Original post by Cookies&Cream:)
I have an economics exam in a few weeks and I'm doing unit 1: Competitive Markets (Edexcel).I'm currently memorising the content, however I'm aware that just memorising the content will only get you so far. Sure, for section A it will work but for section B evaluation points are what get you the majority of marks. However, I haven't been taught at school how to approach section B and section B is my weakness :s-smilie: I was wondering whether anyone could give me a "skeleton structure" (How to structure my answer) that I could apply to any question I come across in section B. And also give me some evaluation points for a few topics that I could use .For evaluation points for each topic shall I just write down the long term and short term effects, so for price elasticity of demand, I could write in my notes the difference between products with low price elasticity of demand ( such as salt) and then products with high price elasticity ( such as spaghetti) and then write down the long term/short term effect on the economy it has? I would obviously adapt it to the question I get, but would that be a good way to approach section B?

This is taken from another TSR user post, and I think it's silly if I just repeated what he said :smile:

"We Will use an example question from the June 2011 paper.

"Extract F (lines 7–8) states: ‘Supply-side policies will also contribute to lower inflation’.

Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the importance of supply-side policies in helping to control inflation in the UK. (25 marks)"

Definition - Define at least one keyword for 2 marks. You are allowed to define up to 2 key words which gets you 4 marks.

Define supply-side policies and inflation

Adv of question - Advantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation. Use diagrams.

LRAS shifting to right
Lower inflation (assuming economy is to some extent overheating, or at the very least, not on the excess capacity stage)
Achieve all four macro-economic indicators

Disadvantages of question - Disadvantages of supply-side policies in controlling inflation.

Time lag - takes years
External events may affect success of policy e.g. current Eurozone crisis / previous recessions
Perhaps not as effective as other economic policies to control inflation - leads to next paragraph

Alternatives to question - Alternative economic policy that controls inflation
Expansionary fiscal
Contractionary fiscal
Expansionary monetary
Contractionary monetary

Include a diagram if you have time

Conclusion - Always start conclusion with question to keep on track, so:

"The extent to which supply-side policies control inflation..."

Summarise adv, disadv and alternative

Get a lot of eval marks in conclusion, make sure it isn't weak"

This particular question probably isn't relevent to Edexcel, but the structure still remains the same.

For evaluation, say things such as "The extent to which succeeds depends on...", "This will only work if..."

Thanks,
Alex :cool:
Reply 2
i have this ebooks if you want
Original post by dzebooks
i have this ebooks if you want

Which books are these? I would be very interested if they can help with evaluation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending