The Student Room Group

Dropping 4th AS? Please help!!!!

I'm doing 4 AS levels : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit and something called an EPQ which counts as an AS. Recently we had mocks and I managed to get B's in everything apart from Chemistry in which I got a U. Even though my school has a policy of kicking off students who get lower than an E in Chem, my teacher is the head of Chemistry and I'm one of his best students. However, for the last few months, I have really started to dislike it. I don't find any passion in it anymore. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I drop Chemistry?

And on top of that I'm predicting straight B's in all of my subjects apart from Chemistry where I'm predicted an E. I know I could push those up to an A if I dropped chemistry because I'm putting in so much effort that I haven't really focused on the others... and anyway I've decided to do law at uni? So should I drop the subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only do what you're really interested in, nothing else matters :smile: if you don't enjoy chemistry and it's not required for what ever you want to do then don't do it.
Reply 2
Original post by insomniacfreak
I'm doing 4 AS levels : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit and something called an EPQ which counts as an AS. Recently we had mocks and I managed to get B's in everything apart from Chemistry in which I got a U. Even though my school has a policy of kicking off students who get lower than an E in Chem, my teacher is the head of Chemistry and I'm one of his best students. However, for the last few months, I have really started to dislike it. I don't find any passion in it anymore. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I drop Chemistry?

And on top of that I'm predicting straight B's in all of my subjects apart from Chemistry where I'm predicted an E. I know I could push those up to an A if I dropped chemistry because I'm putting in so much effort that I haven't really focused on the others... and anyway I've decided to do law at uni? So should I drop the subject?

drop it :smile: if you dont like it and dont want to do it then drop it and focus on the rest and dont waste your time doing it :smile:
be abit forceful as theres not much time and its your choice entirely even if school try to convince you
Reply 3
Yeah drop it, 3 As is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libby18
drop it :smile: if you dont like it and dont want to do it then drop it and focus on the rest and dont waste your time doing it :smile:
be abit forceful as theres not much time and its your choice entirely even if school try to convince you

the thing is i did talk to my teachers and they managed to convince me but I've realised now that I really do want to drop it. Its not fun anymore. Do you think I can still get into a good uni with 3 AS levels? :s-smilie:
I'll repost this here.

Haven't you posted this before?

If you really dislike it and feel it is affecting your other subjects, drop it. You'll be ok with 3 ASs if you can do better in them.
Reply 6
I dropped a fourth AS when I did mine, and it actually has worked out better for me, as I ended up getting 3 A's!! You don't need 4 to get into good uni's etc :smile: If it's holding you back in your other subjects, then drop it. xx
the thing is i did talk to my teachers and they managed to convince me but I've realised now that I really do want to drop it. Its not fun anymore. Do you think I can still get into a good uni with 3 AS levels? :s-smilie:

Check out uni requirements, email some if you need to, and if you find that you'll be at a disadvantage pick up an extra AS next year. :smile:
Reply 8

Yes, most only ask for three anyway. And it's not like Chemistry's relevant. Focus on getting higher grades in three rather than spreading yourself too thinly.
wow thanks guys! I'm already doing 5 in a way and chemistry is really stressful and killing meee! :frown: so what do you think I should tell my teachers? they told me to write a letter...?
Reply 10

yes you can, alot dont ask or specify a 4th :smile:
or you can pick up a different AS during A2 year
some count epq as a 4th as well :smile:
wow thanks guys! I'm already doing 5 in a way and chemistry is really stressful and killing meee! :frown: so what do you think I should tell my teachers? they told me to write a letter...?

If that's what they told you, maybe you should write a letter... :tongue: Just say you've found you aren't enjoying Chemistry anymore and you think your grades in your other subjects would be higher if you dropped it.

Alternatively, speak to your tutor? That's what you'd do at my school.
Original post by Libby18
yes you can, alot dont ask or specify a 4th :smile:
or you can pick up a different AS during A2 year
some count epq as a 4th as well :smile:

oh ok! what uni do you go to if you dont mind me asking? :P I'm hoping to go to SOAS to study law or maybe City.. :smile:
Original post by ethery
If that's what they told you, maybe you should write a letter... :tongue: Just say you've found you aren't enjoying Chemistry anymore and you think your grades in your other subjects would be higher if you dropped it.

Alternatively, speak to your tutor? That's what you'd do at my school.

well I have like this review day at school on Tuesday I'm going to talk to my tutor, but they'll tell me to write a letter because I talked to like the head of sixth form and that's what he said... :L My school is so bleugh sometimes.
Reply 14
AAA > BBBC

Most universities don't ask for a fourth AS for most subjects (although I'm not sure about law), so it shouldn't be an issue. And if you're only getting a U anyway, drop it. It's better to focus on your other subjects.
Reply 15
Not having a 4th AS will limit the unis you can apply to Eg UCL and most top unis for law. I don't think it's worth doing a law degree at an average uni because simply it'd be really hard for you to compete for jobs in the law sector since it's really competitive with so many law graduates from better unis. Just try sticking with chemistry even with an E it'll give you many more options when it comes to applying to unis.
Reply 16
Original post by Nitrogen
Not having a 4th AS will limit the unis you can apply to Eg UCL and most top unis for law. I don't think it's worth doing a law degree at an average uni because simply it'd be really hard for you to compete for jobs in the law sector since it's really competitive with so many law graduates from better unis. Just try sticking with chemistry even with an E it'll give you many more options when it comes to applying to unis.

BBBE is much worse than AAA, even if you only have 4 As. If a 4th As is still a big deal to the OP then they should just do another next year, one that they'll actually enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
actually UCL and Nottingham accept EPQ for an AS so I think I should be ok... *crosses fingers*
Original post by HenryD
BBBE is much worse than AAA, even if you only have 4 As. If a 4th As is still a big deal to the OP then they should just do another next year, one that they'll actually enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you, I'd rather get 3 A's than 4 mediocre grades.
Reply 19
oh ok! what uni do you go to if you dont mind me asking? :P I'm hoping to go to SOAS to study law or maybe City.. :smile:

im doing A2 at the moment aha

Quick Reply

Latest