The Student Room Group

Britain ranked #27 on best countries to be born in 2013, down from #7 in 1988.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart?fsrc=scn/tw/te/dc/birthright

Edited comment about being surprised at some of the countries on the list... so people don't get unnecessarily mad and rage at me.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
7 behind Israel... 5 behind Kuwait... really?
I would have expected Britain to be around 18/19.

The Scandinavian countries performed well as usual.
Does this take in to account the size of spiders and likelihood of natural disasters? :holmes:
Reply 4
how is Ireland so high? no offence Ireland...
What is this based on exactly? Seems like a very opinionated ranking.
Original post by The Assassin

Opinions? I'm quite surprised at some of the list tbh. Ireland at #12? 15 places ahead of Britain? Doesn't seem quite right...

As someone who lived in both for considerable lengths of time - i know which one id pick any day of the week. And to narrow it down its not the UK.
Reply 7
"Its quality-of-life index links the results of subjective life-satisfaction surveys—how happy people say they are—to objective determinants of the quality of life across countries. Being rich helps more than anything else, but it is not all that counts; things like crime, trust in public institutions and the health of family life matter too. In all, the index takes 11 statistically significant indicators into account. They are a mixed bunch: some are fixed factors, such as geography; others change only very slowly over time (demography, many social and cultural characteristics); and some factors depend on policies and the state of the world economy."
Original post by Tabzqt
how is Ireland so high? no offence Ireland...

Economic downturn aside - Ireland is a great place to live. Id prefer it over the UK any day of the week.
Original post by James A
I would have expected Britain to be around 18/19.

The Scandinavian countries performed well as usual.

Whatever they're doing I like it! I'm outta here:tongue:
What does it matter? If you're born somewhere doesn't mean you have to stay there if you're not happy. Besides, living in the EU means we have free access to live in 5 of the top 10 countries if an arbitrary survey really matters to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ireland lol.

Ireland is woeful in comparison to Britain (as someone who lives in NI, it's easy to compare them both).
Euro is rubbish, it's generally just a miserable, wet pile of hills... Eg the West. The East is better but still... It's not a "great" place to be born; it's "okay". Plus Dublin isn't terribly great for shopping when you compare it to London or Edinburgh/Glasgow.
Reply 12
Pakistan :lol:
Can't say I'm surprised at seeing the Scandinavian countries in the top 10. I need to consider moving there soon :P

And is it really safe to be born in Israel, more so than the majority of countries that follow it in the list?
Original post by Svenjamin
What does it matter? If you're born somewhere doesn't mean you have to stay there if you're not happy. Besides, living in the EU means we have free access to live in 5 of the top and 10 countries if an arbitrary survey really matters to you.

Are you referring to me here or speaking in general...?
Are you referring to me here or speaking in general...?

In general. It's easy enough to move abroad if people really want to. These surveys only really serve people who want to moan about "the state of the UK today".

I do wonder how they quantify 'cultural characteristic' though. :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Bangladesh higher than ukraine?
Reply 17
UK only just ahead of Spain? Behind Chile? Interesting findings.

Also, I had no idea how rich Taiwan is until just now. You learn something every day.
(edited 11 years ago)
It seems fine tbh, Switzerland obviously at the top, the quality of living is amazing there, and very expensive. This is a summary of the quality of living, and for most people in the UK it's not that great. If you're even using TSR chances our your life is pretty nice in comparison (me included) to people who live outside the centre of major cities. Hence why it says Hong Kong, and Taiwan, not China as a whole, if that were that case I expect we'd be seeing China closer to India (average quality of living is atrocious, but their middle class is growing). Why is it so hard to believe Ireland has a better quality of living? :s-smilie:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/01/daily-chart?fsrc=scn/tw/te/dc/birthright

Opinions? I'm quite surprised at some of the list tbh. Ireland at #12? 15 places ahead of Britain? Doesn't seem quite right...

It's behind united states we can now safely write this off. I don't know what they are basing those scores on. Maybe better for money or lack of tax or something but not best quality of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending