The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel English Language 2 - The Writer's Voice. (Higher)

Interested to know who else is doing this exam on Jan 10th, and what kind of revision everyone's doing to prepare?

I found a couple of past papers, but I don't really think that's enough...

Also, what kind of things would you have to do in order to get an A/A* in this exam??

Good luck to everyone who's sitting this :smile:
Reply 1
I'm doin this exam, there is always a question about your favourite book film or tv program so you go gather some facts and prepare for that question incase it comes up:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by joy mathers
I'm doin this exam, there is always a question about your favourite book film or tv program so you go gather some facts and prepare for that question incase it comes up:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YOLO! :P I am doing the exam too. So far, its hard to revise (because there is nothing to revise from). But from my mocks my teacher always suggests me to develop ideas more "in-depth" -.- ,not much that I can do since there is nothing expand the "depth" in my ideas.

And also, I assume you guys are also studying Rani & Sukh and Animal farm, am I right? If yes, do you know any websites to get chapter analysis' from, because I can find these for animal farm but not Rani and sukh :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Shad-A
YOLO! :P I am doing the exam too. So far, its hard to revise (because there is nothing to revise from). But from my mocks my teacher always suggests me to develop ideas more "in-depth" -.- ,not much that I can do since there is nothing expand the "depth" in my ideas.

And also, I assume you guys are also studying Rani & Sukh and Animal farm, am I right? If yes, do you know any websites to get chapter analysis' from, because I can find these for animal farm but not Rani and sukh :frown:

no...I'm doing Of Mice & Men...don't have a website for chapter analysis, but for character analysis, you can always try SparkNotes, i used that for character analysis on of mice and men :smile:

also, do you know if we have to use "intellectual" language when answering the questions from the book? Does it get you more marks? or is that only important in the writing part of the paper??
Reply 4
By the way, you don't get the of mice and men book in your exam to you could revise the main quotes for each character incase you need them:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Allison.
Interested to know who else is doing this exam on Jan 10th, and what kind of revision everyone's doing to prepare?

I found a couple of past papers, but I don't really think that's enough...

Also, what kind of things would you have to do in order to get an A/A* in this exam??

Good luck to everyone who's sitting this :smile:

Hello, I'm doing the exam tomorrow on Of Mice and Men :smile:

A few tips:

1. ALWAYS link back to the question and do not stray from the point (something that I'm often guilty of-,-)

2. Use PEEL (or a similar structure you've been taught) which means:
Point - "The writer uses ___ to ____"
Evidence - A quote to back up your point
Explain - A explanation of what you mean
Layers - Any extra info/Alternate views/Links to historical or social context/Effect on reader

3. Make sure you read and understand the question thoroughly (One time they were asked "Explain how loneliness affects the ranch workers", or something, and a ton of people focused on Curley's Wife and therefore scored nothing ._.)

4. To get higher grades just include lots of different layers and analyse the heck out of it :smile:

I really hope this has been helpful (I know I'm probably just stating the obvious xP); I'm just doing some last minute revision now :3

And good luck to you too :smile:
Hey, does anyone know what to do for the last question?? :confused:
Reply 7
I'm re-sitting this exam tomorrow.
Reply 8
Original post by ReallyConfusedMe
Hey, does anyone know what to do for the last question?? :confused:

Think about a strong start that engages your reader immediately: Direct questions are often the best way of going about this

Remember your text type: something to do with teenagers? include colloquial language= more marks as you have your audience in mind
Make up statistics eg 2percent of school kids die each week(persuasive)

PUNCTUATION is key: brackets, colons, capitalisation, exclamation marks, ellipsis' and so on

Talk about 5 things or more on the chosen topic.

write like somebody is doing section A writing on your answer so they're trying to identify features thats likely to get you the best marks.
Reply 9
can someone give me links to past papers please
Yeah, can somebody send links or files of June 2012, Jan 2013 of this paper (5EN2H)
Reply 11
My main problem is how much do i write..
Like how many points would i do for A and B for OMAM
Reply 12
3 points= 3 paragraphs
Original post by Riken09
My main problem is how much do i write..
Like how many points would i do for A and B for OMAM

5points on both but part 2 should be more detailed.
Reply 14
hey, does anyone know if we need to include context for the first part of the question? like do you get marked down if you dont?
And how can i do some reallly last minute revision on the transactional writing?
Also, how much do you write for the transactional writing?
thanks (hopefully get reply before tomorrow)
xxx
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BDida
hey, does anyone know if we need to include context for the first part of the question? like do you get marked down if you dont?
And how can i do some reallly last minute revision on the transactional writing?
Also, how much do you write for the transactional writing?
thanks (hopefully get reply before tomorrow)
xxx

Sorry loo0ol haha, how did u find it? and which transactional writing did ya choose?
Reply 16
Original post by Mr.yellowey
Sorry loo0ol haha, how did u find it? and which transactional writing did ya choose?

lol!! urmmmm it was alright... i did Of Mice and Men and it was a bit hard to find any language devices in the extract that was given... i think the transactional writing went OK, i choose the role model one but i dont think i wrote enough... :confused:
im even though its over im still stressing about it coz in january i got a C and i desperately need a B overall if i wanna do my chosen a level subjects and if i wanna get my english baccalaureate :'(
Reply 17
You get a book in the exam for edexcel language 2 until summer 2016. The next year they are planning on changing it and making it a closed book exam. So for revision just read the book and look at past exam notes, this can help you predict what will come up in your exam. I hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending