The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UG Law School Open Day?

Is there going to be an open day specific to the law school, or do they show you around the place when you go on a normal open day?
Original post by DunDunDuun
Is there going to be an open day specific to the law school, or do they show you around the place when you go on a normal open day?

Many departments do have their own open days, but I don't know if law is one of them. If there is a law-specfic open day, then they will invite everyone who has been given an offer (or who is waiting on a decision).

On a normal open day (well judging by the one I went to in 2009; I presume the format hasn't changed since then), there are subject specific talks given by each department, but there aren't normally tours of each department's buildings. Truth be told, the Williamson Building (where the Law School is based) isn't that exciting at all, it's just lots of little offices and classrooms. The Williamson Building doesn't have its own lecture theatre, so they use the lecture theatres in Roscoe Building and University Place.

There will, however, be walking tours around the campus, conducted by student ambassadors (like me!). They take you to places like the library and learning commons, and of course you can ask them questions along the way.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thankyou!
Original post by DunDunDuun
Thankyou!

Hey! I'm a student of the law school so I can offer so extra info.
As Origami rightly said, departments often offer school-only open days for those students that receive offers. The Williamson building (law and criminology) doesn't have much to look at apart from the new fancy common room (although we are definitely getting a new department building in the pretty old buildings next to the library in a few years!) but all the same I would really advise that you got to the law open day if you get an invite. Talking to the professors and other law school student representatives (most likely to include yours truly) is so beneficial and greatly helped me in deciding where to study.

M law open day happened to fall on an accommodation open day (Fallowfield only) and I was able to look around Manchester's before going to the law department. I'd definitely advise that you take a look at accommodation if you can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending