The Student Room Group

Student finance ...when?

Tittle says it all really, when can we all start applying for student finance?

I'll be a mature student and over the past few years i've heard nothing but horror story's and moaning by friends who've either been unlucky with student finance or more than likely been lazy and not got it all sorted soon enough. So when does it begin and how exactly is it done?

I clicked the option for UCAS to pass my info onto the student finance company when i was going though the application process which i think i'm right in thinking speeds / helps things along...

Thanks.
It will open in January / February time I believe. You apply online via studentfinance.direct.gov.uk

Some people have issues but to be honest, if you send everything you need to send in on time, and do everything you're supposed to - you won't have any issues.
Deadline is something like March I think, maybe the end of March, if you want to receive your money at the start date of your course.
Reply 3
Thanks that's just what i was after ... strange they don't have a fixed date :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Deadline is something like March I think, maybe the end of March, if you want to receive your money at the start date of your course.

I think the deadline is nearer the end of May.
Reply 5
I swear the deadline is a certain amount during your first year, I want to say 9 months after you enrol but im not 100% on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shivvy1
I swear the deadline is a certain amount during your first year, I want to say 9 months after you enrol but im not 100% on this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that is also true. The deadline is before May or something if you want your finances on time. However, late applicants and such can apply up to 9 months after the start date, but it means that you will receive your finances late, for obvious reasons.
Original post by OU Student
I think the deadline is nearer the end of May.

+1, my bad.

:smile:
Original post by dave_123
Tittle says it all really, when can we all start applying for student finance?

I'll be a mature student and over the past few years i've heard nothing but horror story's and moaning by friends who've either been unlucky with student finance or more than likely been lazy and not got it all sorted soon enough. So when does it begin and how exactly is it done?

I clicked the option for UCAS to pass my info onto the student finance company when i was going though the application process which i think i'm right in thinking speeds / helps things along...

Thanks.

Hi I just wanted to highlight that part of your post. I applied in January last year, and it was all sorted in February and I was expecting my first payment on 24th September. I was prepared, everything sent in and sorted but when it came around SFE refused to pay me because of a mistake THEY made. It was 5 1/2 weeks after the original date before I got my money, there was nothing I could do. BE PREPARED people who don't get paid aren't always the lazy ones, if they are they shouldn't be complaining. I actually got paid AFTER someone who applied on 20th September I won't go into why they wouldn't pay me here, but there was nothing I could do but wait until they sorted out their mistake. Hope it goes well for your though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending