The Student Room Group

Charter Reform

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morgsie
As part o my module on the UN, I have looked into reform. As I have said loads of time I have done an Essay on UNSC Reform.

How would you apply, from your research, reforms to the MUN SC?
Reply 21
Original post by Cheese_Monster
How would you apply, from your research, reforms to the MUN SC?

Some of the themes apply: democracy, geographical representation etc
Original post by Morgsie
Some of the themes apply: democracy, geographical representation etc

Would you support my amendment to introduce two new rotating non-permanent members?

And to democratise the MUN SC by having elections every 60 days where the incumbent may stand again to retain their seat as the country they represent, but is also open to competition rather than waiting for members to call for an election against the incumbent?
Reply 23
Would you support my amendment to introduce two new rotating non-permanent members?

And to democratise the MUN SC by having elections every 60 days where the incumbent may stand again to retain their seat as the country they represent, but is also open to competition rather than waiting for members to call for an election against the incumbent?

I would need to look into it when presented with it. I personally favour an EU Seat nand remove France and the UK but it won't happen
Original post by Morgsie
I would need to look into it when presented with it. I personally favour an EU Seat nand remove France and the UK but it won't happen

That's contentious seeing as the UK is largely Eurosceptic at present.
Reply 25
That's contentious seeing as the UK is largely Eurosceptic at present.

It makes sense but they want to keep their precious veto. I also looked into reforming voting etc including the veto
Original post by Morgsie
It makes sense but they want to keep their precious veto. I also looked into reforming voting etc including the veto

How would you reform voting?
Reply 27
Million dollar question.

What will happen regarding the MHOC who have distanced themselves and is not interested?
Original post by Morgsie
Million dollar question.

What will happen regarding the MHOC who have distanced themselves and is not interested?

I say nothing in some ways. There are Governments who have been very active in the MUN and to punish them for the inactivity of others is perhaps not the way to go about things.
Reply 29
Original post by toronto353
I say nothing in some ways. There are Governments who have been very active in the MUN and to punish them for the inactivity of others is perhaps not the way to go about things.

I have to admit you were good.

It needs to be looked at I feel
Original post by Morgsie
I have to admit you were good.

It needs to be looked at I feel

How about some policy whereby if the House is active here, it gets its say, vetoes etc. If not, then it loses them until the next term of the HoC. I.e if it is involved, then it can have a say. If not, then it doesn't affect the workings of the MUN.
Reply 31
I have said this in another thread, can provision be made for this:

[h="5"]Article 34 Treaty on the European Union (TEU)[/h] (ex Article 19 TEU)
1. Member States shall coordinate their action in international organisations and at international conferences. They shall uphold the Union's positions in such forums. The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy shall organise this coordination.
In international organisations and at international conferences where not all the Member States participate, those which do take part shall uphold the Union's positions.
2. In accordance with Article 24(3), Member States represented in international organisations or international conferences where not all the Member States participate shall keep the other Member States and the High Representative informed of any matter of common interest.
Member States which are also members of the United Nations Security Council will concert and keep the other Member States and the High Representative fully informed. Member States which are members of the Security Council will, in the execution of their functions, defend the positions and the interests of the Union, without prejudice to their responsibilities under the provisions of the United Nations Charter.
When the Union has defined a position on a subject which is on the United Nations Security Council agenda, those Member States which sit on the Security Council shall request that the High Representative be invited to present the Union's position.

It is not happening at the moment
Original post by Birchington
QFA

Original post by RoryS
QFA

The way I see it we can either just add amendment after amendment to the current charter or we could just write up a whole new one from scratch and then get the GA to vote on it. If the majority say aye then that becomes the new Charter. I think it's about time we wrote it from scratch to ensure we cover all bases.
Original post by thunder_chunky
The way I see it we can either just add amendment after amendment to the current charter or we could just write up a whole new one from scratch and then get the GA to vote on it. If the majority say aye then that becomes the new Charter. I think it's about time we wrote it from scratch to ensure we cover all bases.

I agree. That way the whole thing is modernised.
Reply 34
I'm working on writing the whole thing from scratch. It'll save time to vote on one document than loads of piecemeal amendments.
Original post by Birchington
I'm working on writing the whole thing from scratch. It'll save time to vote on one document than loads of piecemeal amendments.

Ok well I'd like to contribute to that based on what has been written in this thread and based on the current charter.
Ok well I'd like to contribute to that based on what has been written in this thread and based on the current charter.

So would I, especially on MUN SC term periods.
Reply 37
All I'm doing at the moment is a rewrite condensing the existing charter. Any new features will be decided later before the whole thing goes to vote so changes are transparent.
Reply 38
So would I, especially on MUN SC term periods.

Why are you so obsessed with making current SC members lose their positions?
Reply 39
I am on the fence regarding term limits.

It happens IRL, 5 NP members elected for a 2 year term one year and the other 5 are elected the following year for 2 year term

Quick Reply

Latest