The Student Room Group

Best Methods of Revising for Science

Hey everyone, I'd just like to know what is your best/most favourable method of revision? I'm asking this because I have my Biology 2 and Physics 2 exams in two weeks and the ways I've been revising currently (reading my notes and highlighting important info) is rather tedious and annoying. I've been desperate to try some more fun ways of revising so I'll stick to it and not procrastinate. If you do have any methods, do leave them and they don't have to be just Science related :smile:

It is for GCSE by the way.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSE or A-Level?
Reply 2
Original post by PINKFLEUR
GCSE or A-Level?

GCSE, sorry I didn't specify haha.
Reply 3
In all honesty, GCSE science has become so dumbed down that it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you tick all of the points in the spec using whatever method suits you and do past papers.

GCSE or A-Level?

this was posted in the GCSE forum.
Reply 4
Original post by iknowi2
In all honesty, GCSE science has become so dumbed down that it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you tick all of the points in the spec using whatever method suits you and do past papers.

I do think some of the questions are rather straight forward, but I'm not complaining! However, there's some questions that you have to think outside the box for e.g. 'Why did the students use a water bath in the experiment?', I had absolute no idea why they did use one.

As to regards in past papers, I don't know if it's worth taking one before I revise to see what I actually know currently or do them all after I've revised solidly.
Reply 5
GCSE is too easy, I just read the revision book 2 days before the exam and got all As in my sciences.

So I would advice that you just read your notes/ revision book.
Reply 6
Original post by Beat
GCSE, sorry I didn't specify haha.

Original post by iknowi2

Haha, oh, I'm sorry... I saw this discussion title on the "lastest discussions" tab.

Anyway, being a GSCE student myself, I managed to go from a C at the beginning to one of the top A* students in my year - resulting in me being able to get mentored and hopefully pass all my science A levels early... I'm completing 6 in total o__o
The way I managed to do this was using useful websites such as GSCE bitesize and GetRevising.co.uk which is really helpful because you are able to download different formats that satisfy you, e.g. quizzes, flashcards, powerpoints etc.
What I prefered the most were the flashcards because you are always able to make your own and test yourself in things that you believe you are weak at.

The key is to:
1.take frequent breaks (Your brain will start to lose it's ability to function properly -> concentrate after a long set period of time)
2. Have something to look forward to e.g. after 2 hours revision (with breaks included) I could meet up with friends so that we could watch a movie at the cinema.

Good Luck with your revision! And I'm sorry for the misunderstandings.

PinkF
Reply 7
Original post by Sha_15
GCSE is too easy, I just read the revision book 2 days before the exam and got all As in my sciences.

So I would advice that you just read your notes/ revision book.

Well that's your opinion, and I respect that. I personally find GCSE somewhat average. Some people do tend to struggle to grasp understanding and I can sometimes relate to that.

However, I did say that I found note reading rather tedious and long winded, but thanks for the input.
Reply 8
Original post by Beat
Well that's your opinion, and I respect that. I personally find GCSE somewhat average. Some people do tend to struggle to grasp understanding and I can sometimes relate to that.

However, I did say that I found note reading rather tedious and long winded, but thanks for the input.

Well other than that the only other method I can say is making flashcards.
Reply 9
Haha, oh, I'm sorry... I saw this discussion title on the "lastest discussions" tab.

Anyway, being a GSCE student myself, I managed to go from a C at the beginning to one of the top A* students in my year - resulting in me being able to get mentored and hopefully pass all my science A levels early... I'm completing 6 in total o__o
The way I managed to do this was using useful websites such as GSCE bitesize and GetRevising.co.uk which is really helpful because you are able to download different formats that satisfy you, e.g. quizzes, flashcards, powerpoints etc.
What I prefered the most were the flashcards because you are always able to make your own and test yourself in things that you believe you are weak at.

The key is to:
1.take frequent breaks (Your brain will start to lose it's ability to function properly -> concentrate after a long set period of time)
2. Have something to look forward to e.g. after 2 hours revision (with breaks included) I could meet up with friends so that we could watch a movie at the cinema.

Good Luck with your revision! And I'm sorry for the misunderstandings.

PinkF

It's completely fine, I should have still specified!

I've looked at that getrevising website as well as the tes website and they're both incredibly helpful and I have downloaded and looked at some resources! I will continue to look at those!

As for looking forward to something, I suppose that could push me. When I get focused and work done I do have a sense of relief afterwards, it's just the whole sitting down and starting it, haha. I do think maybe the environment I am in sometimes off puts me, I really dislike my parents asking what I'm doing and hovering over me.
Reply 10
Original post by Sha_15
Well other than that the only other method I can say is making flashcards.

I will try that, thank you.
Reply 11
Same ! - I have Chem and phys 2 in march. What I do is try past papers (with edexcel there are like only three soo not a good option if they are used as mock tests) but you can also make sure you understand everything, read kver the book/notes every day.
something not so fun, but I do as last minute revision that really helps: Write paragraphs in the topics in your books like a six mark question - all of them (some topics may merge into another.) off the top of your head. However this is only very usefull when you are confident about everything- that's why I call it last minute ...

I don't thing colour full notes do it for me.. I need the good, straight facts in detail (because that's what gives you the marks)

You can also try and predict topic that will co e up. If your doing edexcel, then there will roughly be 3 past papers. Do them, and topic that haven't appeared will probably be in the next exam. Also, topics that have repeated , e.g meiosis n mitosis in the bio paper for six marks, don't get too happy if you've mastered them because they probably won't come up . Still revise everything, but take these hjnts into consideration!
(edited 11 years ago)
My advice would be to memorise the mark scheme for questions that come up frequently, the format in which they want the question to be answered is repeated quite often. Eg. If they asked you how to conduct an experiment they might have points like this regardless of what the actual experiment is:
-Named controlled variable
-Repeats mentioned
-Method of measuring XXX

I find this method particularly helpful for longer answers and definitions. Even though I knew the content at GCSE (and at A level even), I find that knowing HOW to answer the question will usually get you more marks.

Hope that helped, good luck!
Original post by Beat
It's completely fine, I should have still specified!

I've looked at that getrevising website as well as the tes website and they're both incredibly helpful and I have downloaded and looked at some resources! I will continue to look at those!

As for looking forward to something, I suppose that could push me. When I get focused and work done I do have a sense of relief afterwards, it's just the whole sitting down and starting it, haha. I do think maybe the environment I am in sometimes off puts me, I really dislike my parents asking what I'm doing and hovering over me.

Well... when it comes to revision, I tend to have my nose hidden in my book, haha! Every Saturday, I usually leave the house to go a reasonably quiet place where I am able to study in peace. Sometimes I attend revision sessions in different locations which could last the whole weekend - which is really good because you could get the support you need! The excuse I use when trying to persuade my parents is.. "I've got over a million chances to help you around the house and only one to pass my GCSEs and not worry about them anymore - when you imagine the ratio, are you guys seriously being reasonable?"

Just organise all your subjects into reasonable chunks, prioritize the subjects you feel the least confident in so that you have time to revise and every once in a while, have the wind blow through your hair. :rolleyes:

PinkF
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Meghna96
Same ! - I have Chem and phys 2 in march. What I do is try past papers (with edexcel there are like only three soo not a good option if they are used as mock tests) but you can also make sure you understand everything, read kver the book/notes every day.
something not so fun, but I do as last minute revision that really helps: Write paragraphs in the topics in your books like a six mark question - all of them (some topics may merge into another.) off the top of your head. However this is only very usefull when you are confident about everything- that's why I call it last minute ...

I don't thing colour full notes do it for me.. I need the good, straight facts in detail (because that's what gives you the marks)

You can also try and predict topic that will co e up. If your doing edexcel, then there will roughly be 3 past papers. Do them, and topic that haven't appeared will probably be in the next exam. Also, topics that have repeated , e.g meiosis n mitosis in the bio paper for six marks, don't get too happy if you've mastered them because they probably won't come up . Still revise everything, but take these hjnts into consideration!

I'm with AQA, we do mostly similar stuff but I've seen a lot of differences as well. Thanks for your tips and good luck with your exams! :smile:
Original post by Beat
It is for GCSE by the way.

Perfect.:biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Chocip
My advice would be to memorise the mark scheme for questions that come up frequently, the format in which they want the question to be answered is repeated quite often. Eg. If they asked you how to conduct an experiment they might have points like this regardless of what the actual experiment is:
-Named controlled variable
-Repeats mentioned
-Method of measuring XXX

I find this method particularly helpful for longer answers and definitions. Even though I knew the content at GCSE (and at A level even), I find that knowing HOW to answer the question will usually get you more marks.

Hope that helped, good luck!

Yeah, it is helpful if you do actually understand what to put rather than regurgitate! I do sometimes tend to answer questions writing just basic sentences without showing any knowledge about it. Thanks for your contribution!
Reply 17
PAST PAPERS. LOTS OF THEM. THEN DO THEM AGAIN. Get into the mark scheme frame of mind and learn what they want and what they don't want. Often they have similar questions repeating year after year so learn them to get the marks! Also make sure you know definitions so you know you have secured marks in the exam. Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Nick Latham
I type up my own advanced 'specifications' while they teach them to me in Year 9, 10 and 11 so that I can literally look at them at the end of year 11 and remember it without having to go thoroughly through books and all of that stuff.

This is quite clever actually, never thought about it. Thanks :smile:

Well... when it comes to revision, I tend to have my nose hidden in my book, haha! Every Saturday, I usually leave the house to go a reasonably quiet place where I am able to study in peace. Sometimes I attend revision sessions in different locations which could last the whole weekend - which is really good because you could get the support you need! The excuse I use when trying to persuade my parents is.. "I've got over a million chances to help you around the house and only one to pass my GCSEs and not worry about them anymore - when you imagine the ratio, are you guys seriously being reasonable?"

Just organise all your subjects into reasonable chunks, prioritize the subjects you feel the least confident in so that you have time to revise and every once in a while, have the wind blow through your hair. :rolleyes:

This made me laugh. Thank you very much :smile:

PinkF
Reply 19
my key resources are my CGP science book (biology section is only 28 pages), past papers and mark schemes (BIG help with the mark schemes, see how they want the answers given) and a website my school uses called sam learning. the book and papers are a must though, i swear all i do is read them a few times and i all of a sudden know what to do :eek: btw on the core biology i got an A* (97/100 UMS) which kinda shocked me, since it was a retake after being 1 ums above a D:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest