The Student Room Group

Need Some Advice. Bought A Pair Of Fake Jeans :( Off Ebay

Hi,

I bought a pair of jeans off ebay, and they are fake :mad:. The seller is a scumbag liar and I bought it off him because he had 98% positive feedback.

I'm really pissed off atm, and I don't know if I can get my money back. £50 gone down the drain :frown: :frown: :frown:.

Please, please, I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. I feel really stupid. I purchase a lot of items off ebay and have never been scammed. I feel very stupid and upset and the £50 could have been better used elsewhere.

Please. Help me.
Reply 1
My mum bought something fake off ebay once. You should contact the seller and inform them that you expect a full refund. The seller refunded us and we sent the item back. You can open a case with ebay too, they pretty much always take the buyer's side and you're very likely to get all of your money and expenses back.
Don't worry about it. Just follow through with what the poster has said above and you should get a full refund, if not from the seller, then from ebay themselves. They have some sort of buyers protection which is worth looking into. Im not sure if it applies to you though.

How did you realise they were fake?
Reply 3
1. Contact the seller, explain the problem and tell them that you want to return them for a full refund with return postage paid.

2. If they refuse or don't respond within a week then message them again, repeating what you said before and saying if they do not agree within a certain timeframe (at least 2-3 days, tell them the timeframe) you will report them to eBay.

3. If they haven't agreed within that timeframe then open a case with eBay. You should only do this after doing the above as eBay expect you to attempt to resolve the problem before opening a case.

4. After 8 days if they are still refusing or haven't responded then you can escalate the case and eBay will contact PayPal to reverse the transaction so you get the money back.

(The above assumes you paid with PayPal)
Reply 4
Original post by TheStudent.
Don't worry about it. Just follow through with what the poster has said above and you should get a full refund, if not from the seller, then from ebay themselves. They have some sort of buyers protection which is worth looking into. Im not sure if it applies to you though.

How did you realise they were fake?

I own a collection of jeans made from the same company. The jeans are usually made in India and this one from ebay is from Italy. Also, the jeans aren't stitched properly and don't even fit (even though the authentic jeans fit to my size).
Reply 5
Original post by StacFace
1. Contact the seller, explain the problem and tell them that you want to return them for a full refund with return postage paid.

2. If they refuse or don't respond within a week then message them again, repeating what you said before and saying if they do not agree within a certain timeframe (at least 2-3 days, tell them the timeframe) you will report them to eBay.

3. If they haven't agreed within that timeframe then open a case with eBay. You should only do this after doing the above as eBay expect you to attempt to resolve the problem before opening a case.

4. After 8 days if they are still refusing or haven't responded then you can escalate the case and eBay will contact PayPal to reverse the transaction so you get the money back.

(The above assumes you paid with PayPal)

Hi StacFace,

I paid with PayPal. I will contact the seller soon.

Can the seller do anything with my address?
Original post by clubber
I own a collection of jeans made from the same company. The jeans are usually made in India and this one from ebay is from Italy. Also, the jeans aren't stitched properly and don't even fit (even though the authentic jeans fit to my size).

Well spotted :wink:

This is all a bit of a nuisance to go through, but at least you'll get your money back :smile: it sucks that they have to take advantage of people like that.

What do you think they'll do with your address :s I doubt this'll be the first time they've ever been reported for sending fake items.
Reply 7
Original post by clubber
Hi StacFace,

I paid with PayPal. I will contact the seller soon.

Can the seller do anything with my address?

I've had to open cases a few times on eBay because of items not being as described and have never had anything happen with my address. If it's a private seller and they're particularly immature they might sign you up to spam mail or something? I can't see it being worth it though.
Reply 8
Original post by StacFace
I've had to open cases a few times on eBay because of items not being as described and have never had anything happen with my address. If it's a private seller and they're particularly immature they might sign you up to spam mail or something? I can't see it being worth it though.

Ok. Thanks for that StacFace.

BTW, how does this whole refunding system work?

Do I get to keep the item, as the seller can't sell it again on ebay?
Reply 9
Do I get to keep the item and get the money back, since it makes sense that the seller can't sell the item again on ebay?
Reply 10
Original post by clubber
Do I get to keep the item and get the money back, since it makes sense that the seller can't sell the item again on ebay?

No, he'll refund you after he's received the jeans back. That's how refunds work, whether you think the jeans are fake or not.
I've bought fake aftershave off ebay before, I contacted the seller and they gave me a refund, but only after I threatened to open a case with ebay. They swore that it was genuine until I threatened to open a case, then all of a sudden they were happy to give me a refund! what a coincidence! good luck, I'm sure you'll get your money back :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by clubber
Ok. Thanks for that StacFace.

BTW, how does this whole refunding system work?

Do I get to keep the item, as the seller can't sell it again on ebay?

I've never had to return anything but I've only had problems with things around £5-£10 and I think they only ask you to return higher value items. I've also heard that with fake items eBay ask you to destroy the item so that neither of you can resell it and send a picture to prove it (so for jeans cut them up). However I'm not sure so don't do anything to the jeans until eBay tell you to.

As for the refund they will reverse the PayPal transaction and the money will go back to wherever it came from, so if you used your PayPal balance it will go there, if you used a card it will go back onto the card etc.

Quick Reply