The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft

I haven't seen Solaris yet, so I can't comment on that.

ahem... There's only one Solaris and it's not the Steven Soderbergh one.

СОЛЯРИС (1972) - my no. 1 film of all time
Martha Marcy Mae Marlene was such an immense film. Loved the genre splicing and it introduced me to the music of Jackson C Frank (which I imagine was the scriptwriter's plan since so much of the cult leader's actions revolve around Jackson's music). The third Olsen sister's career definitely looks more promising than the other two!

MMMM and Looper were the only two stand outs this year for me. There were plenty of others I enjoyed but it takes a lot for a movie to be memorable to me. Films are such a low commitment form of media that I generally enjoy then forget them.

The Hobbit was very nearly in there, but it feels too much like a part of a trilogy that I don't want to judge it until all three films are out and can be seen as a whole.

Wasn't We Need to Talk About Kevin 2011?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7982
Original post by Plato's Trousers
ahem... There's only one Solaris and it's not the Steven Soderbergh one.

СОЛЯРИС (1972) - my no. 1 film of all time

I've wanted to check it out for ages now. I've not seen any Tarkovsky at all. :holmes:
I've wanted to check it out for ages now. I've not seen any Tarkovsky at all. :holmes:

Once you experience Tarkovsky, nothing will ever be the same again. Utterly wonderful cinema. Check out Stalker too. Visionary. :sigh:
Reply 7984
Well, you certainly do seem to have picked 'em, don't you! :wink:

But there have been some superb films this (ok, last) year. One of the best year's for movies that I can remember

Martha, Marcy May, Marlene
Holy Motors
The Dark Knight Rises
Berberian Sound Studio
Amour
Sightseers
Killing them softly
The Angel's Share
Polisse
Nostalgia for the light
Prometheus
Hunger Games
Skyfall
Once upon a time in Anatolia
We need to talk about Kevin
Rust and bone
Seeking a friend for the end of the world
Take this waltz
Savages
Killer Joe
Cosmopolis
Lawless
Anna Karenina
A Royal Affair
The Hunt
End of Watch
Looper
Frankenweenie
Argo

Haven't even heard half of these films :colondollar:
Reply 7985
Off to watch Gangster Squad tonight :biggrin:
Original post by Revent
Haven't even heard half of these films :colondollar:

Really? Where do you normally hear about new releases then?
Saw Hobbit. Pretty good compared to the word of mouth, and central performances excellent (even Armitage does the best he can with a cookie-cutter anti-hero role), but has glaring pacing issues and feels very bloated.

Unrelated, but JJ Abrams is a pretty cool guy:

http://www.chud.com/121939/abrams-grants-fans-dying-wish-screens-star-trek-into-darkness/
Reply 7988
Really? Where do you normally hear about new releases then?

Whenever I go to the cinema, whatever trailers I see :p: or if someone specifically mentions a film on this thread.
Reply 7989
Original post by Revent
Off to watch Gangster Squad tonight :biggrin:

It's not out yet is it?
Reply 7990
Original post by Deshi
It's not out yet is it?

Some pre release or something. Went with a friend, I think it's for people on Sky or something like that. Was quite good
Reply 7991
Original post by Deshi
It's not out yet is it?

Jan 11th, if I remember correctly. Looking forward to it. :yep:
Original post by Revent
Whenever I go to the cinema, whatever trailers I see :p: or if someone specifically mentions a film on this thread.

So you are really only going to hear about the big multiplex type releases then.

I must admit, I find it a bit surprising (on a thread supposedly for "film fanatics") that most people only ever seem to know about the likes of Batman, Hobbit, Life of Pi etc. :sadnod:

There are so many more films out there to be enjoyed.
Reply 7993
So you are really only going to hear about the big multiplex type releases then.

I must admit, I find it a bit surprising (on a thread supposedly for "film fanatics") that most people only ever seem to know about the likes of Batman, Hobbit, Life of Pi etc. :sadnod:

Well, there are different stages of being a film fanatic, surely. :p: And maybe even different types.

On a side note, have you seen Katalin Varga? :holmes:
Well, there are different stages of being a film fanatic, surely. :p: And maybe even different types.

Fair enough.

On a side note, have you seen Katalin Varga? :holmes:

Yes. Excellent.

In my post Holy Motors enthusiasm I am going back over Leos Carax's back catalogue. Re-watched Les Amants du Pont Neuf last night. Tremendous
Reply 7995

Well, I guess because they're less advertised, it's a bit harder to get hold of them. :p: Plus, I like the excitement of going to the cinema :colondollar: Like I saw Moonrise Kingdom, and I actually really liked it! :biggrin: Just that I never heard of it before AGI suggested it :p:
Reply 7996
Fair enough.

Yes. Excellent.

How would you say it compares to Berberian Sound Studio? :holmes:
How would you say it compares to Berberian Sound Studio? :holmes:

Hmm... I would say they are of equal quality. Very different, of course. BSS will play to your interest in giallo movies of the 70s (if you have one). And anything with Toby Jones in has got to be worth a watch (although I was disappointed with The Girl on Boxing Day (BBC2)

I'm guessing that the problem is location/availability - at least this is the problem for me. If all you've got nearby is multiplexes, which have a very narrow range of what they show, then those are the choices in films you have. Can't do anything about it, I just have to content myself to waiting for the smaller gems to come out for a reasonable price on DVD.
Reply 7999
Original post by Hugo Rune
I'm guessing that the problem is location/availability - at least this is the problem for me. If all you've got nearby is multiplexes, which have a very narrow range of what they show, then those are the choices in films you have. Can't do anything about it, I just have to content myself to waiting for the smaller gems to come out for a reasonable price on DVD.

Same. :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest