The Student Room Group

GCSEs holding me back...

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do please?

I took my GSCEs and received 1 B (in Science), 6 Cs (1 in Maths and 1 in English) and 1 D. This was back when I literally did not care about education and wasn't planning ahead. I hate myself for not revising now I'm actually focused on academics.

Now I'm doing my A-levels, I'm predicted A in Sociology, A in Psychology, A in Government and Politics, A in General Studies, with a pass already in English Literature.

Was wondering if I should even bother with applying to some universities that I dream of going to? I resat Year 12 after failing 3 out of 4 of my subjects, then retook the year with getting As/Bs in my AS level the following year after knuckling down, so I know I'm a hard worker once I put my mind to it.

I was planning to try my utmost hardest with my A-levels and get around AAB/ABB, take a gap year to get some experience within the field I want to study (Sociology) and apply to university with full A-levels and (hopefully) a ton of experience. I also have a medical condition (hypothyroidism) which means I feel incredibly sluggish and suffer from extreme tiredness, which holds me back a lot especially when I'm ready to sleep as soon as I get in from work.
Wow, I'm going off on a tangent.

Is it worth applying to universities like Warwick, LSE, KCL? I should mention that I already have offers from Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds and Hull but I want to aim higher.

Am I dreaming or could I have that chance to pursue my dream and get into those universities considering my GCSEs are average at best?

Thank you, any answers would mean a lot :-) x
Reply 1
Fellow **** GCSEs brah checking in.
OP

i think what'll hold you back more from Warwick/ LSE is your lack of traditional subjects than your GCSEs (but the GCSEs will hold you back for LSE, they are nazis for GCSEs)

can't you switch to more traditional subjects? like History, etc? at least try and get 2 traditional subjects in there, then your chance is as good as anybody's (LSE you're gonna have problems with)

also, you're gonna want to resit maths and english for Bs
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
It's fine I think, if gives you something to chat about at an interview. You can explain how you were stupid and did not care about education at all. To be honest, I was EXACTLY the same, I didn't care at all... I thought I could walk into any job.

And providing you get those predicted grades, and a ton of experience. You're good enough. :smile:
Reply 4
Tbh I think you have no chance in getting into LSE with those GCSEs and subject combination at A Level. Doing A-levels for four years will count against you too. For KCL every courses requires a minimum B in English except for science and maths courses. Dunno about Warwick for the likes of sociology.
Original post by Nitrogen
Tbh I think you have no chance in getting into LSE with those GCSEs and subject combination at A Level. Doing A-levels for four years will count against you too. For KCL every courses requires a minimum B in English except for science and maths courses. Dunno about Warwick for the likes of sociology.

I'm only doing A-levels for 3 years, just taking a gap year after I've completed them! Thank you for the answer x
Reply 6
Original post by too many legs.
I'm only doing A-levels for 3 years, just taking a gap year after I've completed them! Thank you for the answer x

You could look at Manchester, York, bath, Exeter,Nottingham, Birmingham, queen Mary... They're all really good unis too. An offer from Leeds is great btw.
You could look at Manchester, York, bath, Exeter,Nottingham, Birmingham, queen Mary... They're all really good unis too. An offer from Leeds is great btw.

Thank you, I'm extremely grateful they saw something in me haha.
Is it worth applying to LSE considering the grade boundaries are attainable and it's not one of the most competitive fields?x
Reply 8
Thank you, I'm extremely grateful they saw something in me haha.
Is it worth applying to LSE considering the grade boundaries are attainable and it's not one of the most competitive fields?x

For which course at LSE? I know they don't do sociology, but probably something similar.
For which course at LSE? I know they don't do sociology, but probably something similar.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2013/sociology/overview_and_features.aspx :-) If I was to get AAA/AAB (going two grade boundaries above requirements) would that possibly make me stand out? With experience and a carefully written personal statement...

They also say usually the students studying Sociology 'have tended to study mainly social science subjects such as Sociology, Psychology, History, Government and Politics, RE, and English'. I am studying 3 of those.
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Hate to provide a reality check. I had glandular fever for the majority of my second year resulting in me taking a third year. I was predicted A*AB in 2 traditional subjects and 1 "easy" option 'business'. I wanted to study Law, and like you my GCSE's are poor, just marginally better 1A 5 B'S,2 C's,1 D as likewise i didn't care although my problem was also arrogance. I found that in general top 10 Uni's rejected me, although i received offers from Sheffield,UEA and Exeter. Perhaps it may be a better option to aim for a 1st class degree, as therefore reputation may have a negligible difference?
Reply 11
Original post by UKBrah
Fellow **** GCSEs brah checking in.

as am i. we brahs be ****ing up our gcses annually.
Reply 12
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do please?

I took my GSCEs and received 1 B (in Science), 6 Cs (1 in Maths and 1 in English) and 1 D. This was back when I literally did not care about education and wasn't planning ahead. I hate myself for not revising now I'm actually focused on academics.

Now I'm doing my A-levels, I'm predicted A in Sociology, A in Psychology, A in Government and Politics, A in General Studies, with a pass already in English Literature.

Was wondering if I should even bother with applying to some universities that I dream of going to? I resat Year 12 after failing 3 out of 4 of my subjects, then retook the year with getting As/Bs in my AS level the following year after knuckling down, so I know I'm a hard worker once I put my mind to it.

I was planning to try my utmost hardest with my A-levels and get around AAB/ABB, take a gap year to get some experience within the field I want to study (Sociology) and apply to university with full A-levels and (hopefully) a ton of experience. I also have a medical condition (hypothyroidism) which means I feel incredibly sluggish and suffer from extreme tiredness, which holds me back a lot especially when I'm ready to sleep as soon as I get in from work.
Wow, I'm going off on a tangent.

Is it worth applying to universities like Warwick, LSE, KCL? I should mention that I already have offers from Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds and Hull but I want to aim higher.

Am I dreaming or could I have that chance to pursue my dream and get into those universities considering my GCSEs are average at best?

Thank you, any answers would mean a lot :-) x

I think you'll be fine. I was in the same position too. It may make you look like a stronger character as you have really pulled your self up by the sounds of it. Those predicted grades are really good as well, and with work experience you would have a really good chance. :smile:
Reply 13
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2013/sociology/overview_and_features.aspx :-) If I was to get AAA/AAB (going two grade boundaries above requirements) would that possibly make me stand out? With experience and a carefully written personal statement...

They also say usually the students studying Sociology 'have tended to study mainly social science subjects such as Sociology, Psychology, History, Government and Politics, RE, and English'. I am studying 3 of those.
x

Most people that apply to lse have grades better than the entry requirements. After reading that I think you stand a good chance, but you have to do something worthwhile during your gap year such as work experience to make you stand out. Write a great ps and you should stand a chance. If I were you I would probably resit English gcse during the gap year. you can't really revise for gcse English anyway! I think you'd have to explain about your gcse grades in your ps or by your referee.
Reply 14
Original post by JJ95
as am i. we brahs be ****ing up our gcses annually.

Part of the "no A* crew" ^_^
Reply 15
Original post by UKBrah
Part of the "no A* crew" ^_^

As am I :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by manty
As am I :frown:

2As in maths and media crew
6Bs crew

brb got no future gonna kill myself
brb brb