The Student Room Group

Is 25K enough to live off?

Hey, do you think you could live comfortably off £25K per year for a single person?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
yes.
Reply 2
Not for the rest of your life, no.

EDIT: Oh you changed it to a year, yes then. I think 25K is more than enough for one person in a year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
for a single person, very happily.
for a couple yes.
for a family yes but with more difficulty.
it depends how long for and what your outgoings are and if you have any dependants x
Yes.
No - you'll have to live in a cardboard box, innit

Proper answer - it's what you do with it that counts.
Reply 7
Yes, certainly. It's not enough to support a family, but plenty for a single person of a couple.

I've calculated the minimum I need to live on at 11 K (Outside London)
I live off about £8k per year quite happily. Now, that's without paying council tax and living in a shared house, but those two expenses don't add up to that much.

The UK median wage is about £21k, so you'd be better off than most, including those with kids to support.
As a single person quite happily I'd think :dontknow:.
Although I'm 19 and no expert lol so this is merely speculation judged off wages people I know get.
Just do a simple calculation. Your salary - taxes - local tax - rent/mortgage - bills - food = your wealth. If your salary is 25k, your wealth must be close to 0 even if you are single.

The rent is about 700 - 1k a month in London (if you live with your friends). If you live by yourself, the rent is 1 - 2k.

But it's a good starting salary for a uni grad. Some firms only pay like 18k and they expect you to do 60 hours a week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tin
YES you whinging moaning British prick...

there are starving africans whilst we have utter tw*ts moaning about £25,000 a year.

First, as Farid said. And secondly, until you've spent a bit of time living by yourself, being responsible for your own food, utilities etc and even have a full time job you can't really tell how much it costs to live by yourself. Hell, I think most people take for granted what it costs to live until they have a job, a house etc of their own.
Original post by clungemagnet

The rent is about 700 - 1k a month in London (if you live with your friends). If you live by yourself, the rent is 1 - 2k.

We live 15 minutes from central by tube, in a decent enough area and my dad was planning on charging around £600 a month for a single flat...On the small side but really nice and newly furnished. Maybe he's just a terrible businessman though...
Original post by belligerent ghoul
We live 15 minutes from central by tube, in a decent enough area and my dad was planning on charging around £600 a month for a single flat...On the small side but really nice and newly furnished. Maybe he's just a terrible businessman though...

I suspect the latter, that's seems quite cheap.

If he wasn't your dad I'd say to find a tenant 'for him' for £8-900 per month and keep the difference! :colone:
Reply 14
Easily.

Manage your money so that you set the money you need every month into one account, the rest for fun time into another.
Original post by MrBean1994
Hey, do you think you could live comfortably off £25K per year for a single person?

Yes, absolutely.
Original post by tamimi
Yes, certainly. It's not enough to support a family, but plenty for a single person of a couple.

I've calculated the minimum I need to live on at 11 K (Outside London)
There are actually loads of families who manage to get by on significantly less than £25,000, even with one or more parents who work.

Quick Reply

Latest