The Student Room Group

A Level choices

Hello. I am finishing my gcses this year and want to do A levels.
the main issue is i love physics, but don't like maths, I used to like it but then i moved schools and got a bad teacher from year 10 so this has put me off and not sure i could do the full course.
The school i want to go to offers a 'uses of mathematics' course which is described as 'a course for people who need maths for their other subjects'
this sounds ideal for me, does anyone have experience of this or should i go for the full course?
thanks
If you love physics and wanted to take it to degree level, it basically becomes more maths...

Don't not pick the subject because of teachers as maths is a subject that can be self.taught if needed but surely teachers aren't that bad...

What is it about the teacher you dislike?
If you are able and hard working, screw your maths teacher. Do maths.
Even if you change your mind about a physics degree, maths opens so many doors ^_^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks guys, my maths teacher was new to the school head of year and teaches maths, so she lets up on maths, she doesn't teach much just gets us to work from textbooks
Original post by Jack_Parkes
Thanks guys, my maths teacher was new to the school head of year and teaches maths, so she lets up on maths, she doesn't teach much just gets us to work from textbooks

Hopefully that'll change for a level
Reply 5
I've picked my A-levels just for really what i'm enjoying at GCSE and doing well in.
I love psycology so i've picked that even though i've not done it a gcse :biggrin:
I put english lit because it sounds a good a-level and i'm getting A's in it a gcse. is that a good thing to do?! :s-smilie:
Then buisness and food, because again i'm getting A/A*'s and i'm okay at them, and there not that bad.
And last, philosophy because stuff like that intrests me :smile:

But, here's a question. Is it worth picking what you enjoy or what your good at, if you don't know what career you want to do?!
Original post by itsmill
I've picked my A-levels just for really what i'm enjoying at GCSE and doing well in.
I love psycology so i've picked that even though i've not done it a gcse :biggrin:
I put english lit because it sounds a good a-level and i'm getting A's in it a gcse. is that a good thing to do?! :s-smilie:
Then buisness and food, because again i'm getting A/A*'s and i'm okay at them, and there not that bad.
And last, philosophy because stuff like that intrests me :smile:

But, here's a question. Is it worth picking what you enjoy or what your good at, if you don't know what career you want to do?!

Pick what you enjoy. DO NOT PICK something just because you've done well at GCSE... :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Pick what you enjoy. DO NOT PICK something just because you've done well at GCSE... :smile:

okay, thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by itsmill
okay, thank you! :biggrin:

Np! :biggrin:
Reply 9
im doing a bit of both, i like and am quite good at the subjects ive picked apart from maths, but i guess i can get extra help if it comes to it, im ok for biology as my mum has a Phd :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hopefully that'll change for a level

should do, as i really hope to change schools because the one i'm at is awful
Original post by Jack_Parkes
should do, as i really hope to change schools because the one i'm at is awful

Aah then definitely take maths :smile:
Reply 12
ok thank you :smile:
Reply 13
Hello, new to the student room:smile:

Was wondering if anyone could help me: I'm currently doing GCSE's and am wanting to do A-levels at my schools sixth form. At the moment, I've decided on Business Studies and Economics, as I'm getting A* in business studies and love it! My targets are all A/A*. I hope to do a degree in Business Management and/or Marketing. Can anyone recommend what other 2 a level choices I should take, and some info on them if possible?? I'm currently looking at: English Lit, English Lang, Maths, German, or psychology. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending