The Student Room Group

Can I become a investment banker with a business degree?

You'll say you need economics but I'm told BA economics is no good either you need BsC. I don't have the maths a level required by nearly all for BsC economics..

Will I be able to change to economics after first year or anything?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GemmaSmith
You'll say you need economics but I'm told BA economics is no good either you need BsC. I don't have the maths a level required by nearly all for BsC economics..

The idea that you need BSc Economics is nonsense, wouldn't matter whether you did BA or not. Depends what university, but most the people studying business-type degrees come from top schools in mainland Europe. Answer to the last question will (obviously) depend on your university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
So I could be okay with a business degree?

Reply 3
So I could be okay with a business degree?

Uni name is equally if not more important. Which unis would you be looking at?
Reply 4
Offers from Sheffield Liverpool UEA and Glasgow (4 year)

Reply 5
Only Glasgow 4 year the rest are three by the way

Only Glasgow 4 year the rest are three by the way

It would be an uphill battle for you. It's not impossible, but getting into ''front office" will be difficult. What's the rest of your story like? Do you have connections, routes to valuable work experience, extra-curriculars, strong A-levels?
Reply 7

you do need a good uni , otherwise your chances are lower and they are more likely to pick students from a good universities like UCL, LSE , OXBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, WARICK . going to one of these uni increases your chances significantly , but it is not impossible to get into banking by going to other unis , but to get into front office would be very unlikely.
Reply 8
Haha I'm screwed! I was in young enterprise (more business related) a levels should be ABB, gonna have to settle for something less 'flashy' than investment banking I guess?

Original post by RYRK
you do need a good uni , otherwise your chances are lower and they are more likely to pick students from a good universities like UCL, LSE , OXBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, WARICK . going to one of these uni increases your chances significantly , but it is not impossible to get into banking by going to other unis , but to get into front office would be very unlikely.

You forgot CAMFORD, OXFORD, and FORDBRIDGE :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by AnimalSpirit
You forgot CAMFORD, OXFORD, and FORDBRIDGE :wink:

what??:confused:
Reply 11
As far as I know, business students at Glasgow sit economics 1A/1B in first year, if you do well enough you may be able to switch courses.
Reply 12
Original post by RYRK
what??:confused:

Oxbridge isn't a university - it's a term used to refer to two universities: Oxford and Cambridge. Also, it was probably just a typo but Warwick has an extra w in it.
Reply 13

If you want to be an ibanker, why on earth are you doing a business degree? 99% of them are utter crap. Especially as you don't have Maths a-level, you can kiss that career path goodbye. I'm sorry but it's better to be harsh now than set you up for almost guaranteed disappointment.
Not going to happen unless Daddy is one unfortunately.
Reply 15
I already said I'm screwed so don't get on your high horse.. 99% of one of the most popular courses at university are all crap, shut up you cock bellend

Reply 16

Thats nonsense, as long as it's from a respectable uni, it won't be held agaisnt you. Altho tbh, there's only LSE, Bath, Warwick, UCL and KCL i can think of for undergrad... A few years ago, Durham woulda been on the list, but I haven't seen anyone from there in quite a while
Reply 17
Do you work as an IB?

Reply 18
yeah
Reply 19
Sheffield gives me little hope then? Lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending