The Student Room Group

Driving test tips?

Hi, my instructor has told me to book my test but I still do not feel confident after 44 hours of lessons. In 6 mock tests I have failed 3 and passed 3(last 3) I felt confident as I knew what I was getting myself into but I'll be with a stranger in my driving test and what if nerves get to me? Any tips on the driving test itself (is it hard?) any precautions and things to watch out on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

All my instructor said to me was DO NOT TRY TO BE CAREFUL. As soon as you do that then you start doing things you wouldn't normally do, like getting close to parked cars etc. JUST DRIVE. It sounds overly simple but it is the best advice I can give you.
My instructor, during the mock, stayed deathly silent and played the part of the stern examiner which put me on edge. But to be honest it was the best thing he could have done as it prepared me for whatever examiner I had on the day.
I passed first time, but most of my minors were for speed (i.e. approaching junctions) and planning ahead.
One other thing. Do not take your instructor in the car on your test... they will just cause you to become distracted.
Reply 2
Original post by charleymabob
All my instructor said to me was DO NOT TRY TO BE CAREFUL. As soon as you do that then you start doing things you wouldn't normally do, like getting close to parked cars etc. JUST DRIVE. It sounds overly simple but it is the best advice I can give you.
My instructor, during the mock, stayed deathly silent and played the part of the stern examiner which put me on edge. But to be honest it was the best thing he could have done as it prepared me for whatever examiner I had on the day.
I passed first time, but most of my minors were for speed (i.e. approaching junctions) and planning ahead.
One other thing. Do not take your instructor in the car on your test... they will just cause you to become distracted.

Thanks for the advice mate! Brilliant. Yeah definitely not bringing my instructor along. I'd fail instantly with that pressure. Is there any point of revising the Show me Tell me questions as they're only 1 minor if I fail them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Try and get as much independent practice as you can with someone who is an experienced driver! Try and go through your test centre's route. This can be found here http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/driving-test-routes.html although on the actual test your examiner may alter it, it's still useful to know what to expect. If you can't do as much independent driving as you'll like use google maps to check out the routes! It seriously helps to know what to expect I.e. the difficulty of roundabouts that may be on the route, potential hazards etc
also for any manoeuvres you are having difficulties on I found YouTube vids to be extremely helpful. As long as you put into practice what you've watched and watch mock driving tests on there too
I passed on my third time using these tips! And I only got 2 minors. I wasn't too nervous because I knew what to expect. And my examiner was so friendly and chatty even though this can be a bad thing too! I got distracted with some of his conversation
Original post by TCGTi
Thanks for the advice mate! Brilliant. Yeah definitely not bringing my instructor along. I'd fail instantly with that pressure. Is there any point of revising the Show me Tell me questions as they're only 1 minor if I fail them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're quite familiar with them then just give them a once over the day before. At the end of the day, one minor could be the difference between pass/fail!
Reply 5
Original post by charleymabob
If you're quite familiar with them then just give them a once over the day before. At the end of the day, one minor could be the difference between pass/fail!

That is true. I'm sure things will go out well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you're not yet confident, rebook the test for a slightly later date and do as many lessons as you feel you need beforehand. My instructor said I was ready after I did 42 hours but I didn't feel ready until I'd done 50 hours. I did my test after 56 hours and I passed first time. I do not regret delaying my test by a couple of weeks as I didn't suffer any nerves on the day and I feel like it made such a difference.

The show me tell me questions are very very simple if you just put aside an hour to learn all the answers. It's an easy way to impress your examiner, and a silly minor to get. Plus it's highly useful to know when you're driving your own car, so it would be in your best interests to learn them.

I passed with 10 minors, 2 for gears (the examiner will make you pull up on the side and move off again several times during the test. My examiner spoke to me throughout those tasks and I forgot to change back to first gear when moving off, but I noticed my error straight away and fixed it), one for positioning (I entered a roundabout on the wrong lane and switched to the adjacent correct lane once I was on the roundabout) and the rest were for observation.

Make sure your manoeuvres are perfect in your lessons as you will most likely mess up slightly on the day. Mounting the kerb is the easiest way to fail, and going back-and-forth to fix your manoeuvre won't impress your examiner.

Most of all, BE CALM! :wink: And I wish you the very best of luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Doodlemon
If you're not yet confident, rebook the test for a slightly later date and do as many lessons as you feel you need beforehand. My instructor said I was ready after I did 42 hours but I didn't feel ready until I'd done 50 hours. I did my test after 56 hours and I passed first time. I do not regret delaying my test by a couple of weeks as I didn't suffer any nerves on the day and I feel like it made such a difference.

The show me tell me questions are very very simple if you just put aside an hour to learn all the answers. It's an easy way to impress your examiner, and a silly minor to get. Plus it's highly useful to know when you're driving your own car, so it would be in your best interests to learn them.

I passed with 10 minors, 2 for gears (the examiner will make you pull up on the side and move off again several times during the test. My examiner spoke to me throughout those tasks and I forgot to change back to first gear when moving off, but I noticed my error straight away and fixed it), one for positioning (I entered a roundabout on the wrong lane and switched to the adjacent correct lane once I was on the roundabout) and the rest were for observation.

Make sure your manoeuvres are perfect in your lessons as you will most likely mess up slightly on the day. Mounting the kerb is the easiest way to fail, and going back-and-forth to fix your manoeuvre won't impress your examiner.

Most of all, BE CALM! :wink: And I wish you the very best of luck!

Really good advice! The only thing I'm not confident with is pulling up next to a kerb. I just need more practise on that. Yeah the questions will help me in the future. 10 minors is good! Passing first time is brilliant! My maneuvers are up to scratch maybe a few bits I could do but nothing too hard I can't fix. Everything else is spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Just go in confident - your instructor knows you can drive, you know you can drive, you have earned that licence :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I flirted with my examiner, I passed.
Original post by prettytoes:)
I flirted with my examiner, I passed.

LOL what did you do that was so flirty?
Original post by pinda.college
LOL what did you do that was so flirty?

I want you inside of me lol jk

I said he looked great and acted like a girly girl
Reply 12
This might sound a strange way of looking at it but it helped me to keep reminding myself that this is the one test you ever take where 'good enough is good enough'.
If you are the kind of person who usually aims high and puts pressure on yourself to get top grades in every exam or assignment etc. then it can help to remember that in the case of your driving test a pass is a pass. You don't need to worry about 'doing your best'; just do what you have been taught to do and be safe. Everyone gets the same licence at the end of it so don't change anything or try to do better than any other lesson; just focus on driving in the safe manner you were taught.
This point of view won't work for everyone but it helped take some of the pressure of for me when I looked at it this way.

Thoroughly disappointing when you said jk:colonhash:
Original post by TCGTi
Hi, my instructor has told me to book my test but I still do not feel confident after 44 hours of lessons. In 6 mock tests I have failed 3 and passed 3(last 3) I felt confident as I knew what I was getting myself into but I'll be with a stranger in my driving test and what if nerves get to me? Any tips on the driving test itself (is it hard?) any precautions and things to watch out on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much about what happened in the mock, I may have failed 2 or 3/3.

Just don't be careless and try to earn "points" by checking mirrors, doing handbrake etc. If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it and don't mention it, just continue, they may look it over :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by elocin
Just go in confident - your instructor knows you can drive, you know you can drive, you have earned that licence :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very inspirational :biggrin:
Reply 16

You're a very ho rn y little girl aren't you...
Reply 17
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Don't worry too much about what happened in the mock, I may have failed 2 or 3/3.

Just don't be careless and try to earn "points" by checking mirrors, doing handbrake etc. If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it and don't mention it, just continue, they may look it over :smile:

:biggrin: I've only had a few minors in my mock test to be honest. Some were silly majors like mounting a kerb going uphill whilst parking but other than that I've not much to worry about.
Reply 18
Original post by Sazzle4
This might sound a strange way of looking at it but it helped me to keep reminding myself that this is the one test you ever take where 'good enough is good enough'.
If you are the kind of person who usually aims high and puts pressure on yourself to get top grades in every exam or assignment etc. then it can help to remember that in the case of your driving test a pass is a pass. You don't need to worry about 'doing your best'; just do what you have been taught to do and be safe. Everyone gets the same licence at the end of it so don't change anything or try to do better than any other lesson; just focus on driving in the safe manner you were taught.
This point of view won't work for everyone but it helped take some of the pressure of for me when I looked at it this way.

That's a really nice way of putting it! I think by the end of my test I'll be thinking "why did I worry so much, I've put so much practice into this I shouldn't have been so paranoid!" and then either be happy or upset about the result. It's like the theory. I passed that first time with one full week of revision "My bad, I left it to the last minute". But hopefully I will be happy when I finish the test
Reply 19
Original post by TCGTi
That's a really nice way of putting it! I think by the end of my test I'll be thinking "why did I worry so much, I've put so much practice into this I shouldn't have been so paranoid!" and then either be happy or upset about the result. It's like the theory. I passed that first time with one full week of revision "My bad, I left it to the last minute". But hopefully I will be happy when I finish the test

It's also worth keeping in mind that as horrible as it feels if you do fail, it isn't the end of the world. You just take it again. Nothing worse than that happens.
Also, when I was worried about mine it really helped my nerves when my instructor said 'I wouldn't be telling you to take this if I wasn't confident you'll pass. It's not worth my reputation putting people in for tests they aren't ready for.' Your instructor can't promise you'll pass because no one can (things can happen to anyone however prepared they are!) but if they have told you to book a test it is because they are confident in the standard of your driving and know you are capable of passing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending