The Student Room Group

Should I date someone who I don't like

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sphinx_5494
You don't know how great it is to hear so many opinions. I know this may be an anonymous internet forum, but it has helped a lot.

@ Sweet_Heart: I'm really thinking about what you said especially the part about wanting him to change into someone else. When I examine what I feel that does seem to be what I want. I never thought about it this way until now. I don't like the idea of stringing him along and I decided to give it a go (hence the four dates) to see how it went. It's just that my family has been bombarding me with how horrible men are, how hard it is to find someone nice, etc so now I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I dump a really nice guy.

Your family aren't dating him though, you are. And they shouldn't be pressurising you into dating someone you don't like anyway, that's such a stupid thing to do, because in the end there is more chance than not that you'll suddenly realise that he's not the one for you and break up anyway, just pursuing this is wasting time you could be using to find a nice guy you are attracted to! (And don't listen to them, the world is full of nice men!)

You're not doing anything wrong dumping a nice man you're not interested in, you are wrong dating a nice man you're not interested in though. Nice guys don't deserve that. I do admire you for pursuing for a while though, always worth a go, but now it's not going to work out, let him go and find someone you actually want to be with! You owe yourself that as much as anything.

I'm pleased we helped though :smile: And you're really not over the hill yet haha! Just relax, and settle when the time is actually right, not just because you want it to be.
Reply 21
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Your family aren't dating him though, you are. And they shouldn't be pressurising you into dating someone you don't like anyway, that's such a stupid thing to do, because in the end there is more chance than not that you'll suddenly realise that he's not the one for you and break up anyway, just pursuing this is wasting time you could be using to find a nice guy you are attracted to! (And don't listen to them, the world is full of nice men!)

You're not doing anything wrong dumping a nice man you're not interested in, you are wrong dating a nice man you're not interested in though. Nice guys don't deserve that. I do admire you for pursuing for a while though, always worth a go, but now it's not going to work out, let him go and find someone you actually want to be with! You owe yourself that as much as anything.

I'm pleased we helped though :smile: And you're really not over the hill yet haha! Just relax, and settle when the time is actually right, not just because you want it to be.

This poster is completely right!
Reply 22
Original post by Sweet_Heart

It's really great hearing from multiple people who are outside my immediate circle to get another perspective. You all don't know how much you have helped. :smile:
Reply 23
I actually agree with some of the people that you have nothing to loose really! Perhaps instead of thinking 'I really don't like this person', be open and see what happens! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Pop_tart
I actually agree with some of the people that you have nothing to loose really! Perhaps instead of thinking 'I really don't like this person', be open and see what happens! :smile:

I'm so confused!
Reply 25
Original post by Sphinx_5494
I'm so confused!

a bunch of people saying lots of different things! ^^

Follow your heart and listen to you body! If it does not feel right then just let it go and cut it off. If you feel like 'what the heck' stay open and just let go and see where you end up!

Maybe just don't think about it all too much! :smile:

Best wishes!
I feel what you really want is us to assure you that breaking up with him is the right thing to do. I hope that doesn't sound insulting, because I think that's a perfectly reasonable thing to want.

So yeah, you should break up with him, you're only making it harder the longer you leave it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending